Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Manchester bus franchising
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
When franchising commences will firms like Arriva who lose their services in Bolton transfer the buses to the new franchishee of move them somewhere else within their empire?
(24/02/2023 10:11)childwallblues Wrote: [ -> ]When franchising commences will firms like Arriva who lose their services in Bolton transfer the buses to the new franchishee or move them somewhere else within their empire?

I think that has yet to be determined. Stagecoach, who fought in the courts to prevent franchising, has lost a lot of work in Wigan and have a number of options. It either transfers its fleet to other parts of its empire, sells it to the successful franchisee or another operator or scraps buses that have several years' life left in them. Presumably, these options also apply to Arriva and other unsuccessful bidders.

A similar but not exact scenario occurred recently when Yellow Buses in Bournemouth went into administration and ceased trading. It had a modern fleet and, as far as I am aware, most have subsequently seen service elsewhere.

I believe that, in the fullness of time, TfGM plans to have a standardised fleet of EV vehicles and this process has already begun with recent orders to be operated by the successful franchisees.
(24/02/2023 12:00)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]I think that has yet to be determined. Stagecoach, who fought in the courts to prevent franchising, has lost a lot of work in Wigan and have a number of options. It either transfers its fleet to other parts of its empire, sells it to the successful franchisee or another operator or scraps buses that have several years' life left in them. Presumably, these options also apply to Arriva and other unsuccessful bidders.

A similar but not exact scenario occurred recently when Yellow Buses in Bournemouth went into administration and ceased trading. It had a modern fleet and, as far as I am aware, most have subsequently seen service elsewhere.

I believe that, in the fullness of time, TfGM plans to have a standardised fleet of EV vehicles and this process has already begun with recent orders to be operated by the successful franchisees.
My personal guess is TfGM will lease vehicles until enough new vehicles have been delivered can’t see anyone selling them
I looks like the Liverpool City Region will ratify a proposal next week and follow Manchester's lead in adopting bus franchising. It will obviously be several years off but I think that it is inevitable. I wonder how many other regions in the UK will pursue this policy?

https://www.route-one.net/news/liverpool...ove-ahead/
(24/02/2023 12:00)Barney Wrote: [ -> ]I think that has yet to be determined. Stagecoach, who fought in the courts to prevent franchising, has lost a lot of work in Wigan and have a number of options. It either transfers its fleet to other parts of its empire, sells it to the successful franchisee or another operator or scraps buses that have several years' life left in them. Presumably, these options also apply to Arriva and other unsuccessful bidders.

Stagecoach are retaining all their Wigan based vehicles including Wigan depot.

Existing operators from Tranche 1 had two choices, they either retain all their vehicles for cascade or sale elsewhere, or they could sell them to TfGM's RV Pool, which then sells & distributes to the new Franchise operators. The vehicles which operators were selling to the RV Pool & their allocation was predetermined by existing operators & TfGM in Tranche 1 before bidding took place. There will of course be some minor changes since.
(24/02/2023 13:35)Winston Wrote: [ -> ]Stagecoach are retaining all their Wigan based vehicles including Wigan depot.

Stagecoach have a history of moving vehicles around between depots, so that they keep the nice ones and don't sell them off, even if a depot is sold. That happened when they sold the former Yorkshire Traction depot in Huddersfield to the Centrebus/Arriva consortium.

I suppose Wigan's close enough to their Southport and Preston operations if they don't get anything from the TfGM franchising.
(24/02/2023 14:43)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose Wigan's close enough to their Southport and Preston operations if they don't get anything from the TfGM franchising.

Stagecoach does not have a depot in Southport but it does have one at Gillmoss in Kirkby and Rock Ferry on the Wirral. I'm not sure if there is enough space at GM and most of its allocation is newer than Wigans.
Who knows, Stagecoach might end up winning something in future franchising decisions.
I guess it could be difficult for companies to plan effectively for the long-term until all the decisions have been made.
(24/02/2023 14:43)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]Stagecoach have a history of moving vehicles around between depots, so that they keep the nice ones and don't sell them off, even if a depot is sold. That happened when they sold the former Yorkshire Traction depot in Huddersfield to the Centrebus/Arriva consortium.

I suppose Wigan's close enough to their Southport and Preston operations if they don't get anything from the TfGM franchising.
Preston is getting brand new buses for Route 125 Preston to Bolton which runs into the Bolton franchising area
I assume that route is not affected by franchising arrangements or it would not be getting new buses.
(23/02/2023 23:50)Mrboo Wrote: [ -> ]TFGM don't have to rush getting additional staff like revenue protection and customer service advisors as it only Bolton and Wigan. They could just use an outside team for revenue protection like TIL . and what customer service advisors. London does not have this. Now they do have network officers but does Manchester need people in yellow vans dealing with issues as it could be like it is today with companies looking after their own issues?

Burnham promised ‘In house’ revenue protection and customer service advisors. My pal who works at TFGM reckons it’s constantly being put off.
They might outsource it but that will come at a huge cost.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Reference URL's