Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website

Full Version: Manchester bus franchising
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Also is Arriva Bolton routes and buses passing to GNW from september for there routes passing to diamond? As aint Bolton Depots routes small bar 362/575?
I know its still a long way off and things have still to be sorted but considering Go Northwest will probably be operating 362 Wigan-Chorley from September do we have any ideas where the single deckers will come from to operate the route? Will these be new single decks or will they come from elsewhere?
We are still a long way off the finished article , do you think this franchising model will work ?
(26/12/2022 12:21)wirralbus Wrote: [ -> ]We are still a long way off the finished article , do you think this franchising model will work ?

As a driver working in Manchester in all honesty I don’t think it will. There’s been a huge decline in people wanting to work in the industry for the last few years but I’ve heard so many of my colleagues say over the last few weeks with all the talk of who’s won what that they are looking to get out before franchising comes in. There’s going to be a huge shortage of drivers and it’s going to seriously effect the whole model.
(26/12/2022 06:33)M60lad Wrote: [ -> ]I know its still a long way off and things have still to be sorted but considering Go Northwest will probably be operating 362 Wigan-Chorley from September do we have any ideas where the single deckers will come from to operate the route? Will these be new single decks or will they come from elsewhere?

Would presume existing diamond ones or GNW ones as there gaining bolton depot and buses from diamond
(26/12/2022 12:27)Mayneway Wrote: [ -> ]As a driver working in Manchester in all honesty I don’t think it will. There’s been a huge decline in people wanting to work in the industry for the last few years but I’ve heard so many of my colleagues say over the last few weeks with all the talk of who’s won what that they are looking to get out before franchising comes in. There’s going to be a huge shortage of drivers and it’s going to seriously effect the whole model.
That could be a plus for us drivers who stay because the companies are going to have to offer us a good deal in order to retain staff....don't know why drivers would leave because of francising...I worked for GM buses which became GM north which because First Manchester nothing changed except uniforms & the colour of the buses
What would happen if it is not successful?
(26/12/2022 15:50)moreton407 Wrote: [ -> ]What would happen if it is not successful?

In what way?

Presumably if a franchise holder performs badly then they could be stripped of the franchise.

While if the franchising system doesn't work well initially presumably TfGM will look at ways to improve it.

The thing that franchising will change is the ability for TfGM to take one route off an operator if they do badly on that particular route. The TC will still have that ability but only if they fail to provide a registered bus service to the required level, he can't take action against a 15 year old Enviro 200 being used when the franchise agreement requires a modern 'Manchester Bee' decker.
(26/12/2022 15:45)Michael Wrote: [ -> ]That could be a plus for us drivers who stay because the companies are going to have to offer us a good deal in order to retain staff....don't know why drivers would leave because of francising...I worked for GM buses which became GM north which because First Manchester nothing changed except uniforms & the colour of the buses

Simply put its uncertainty. I work for an operator and the desire to work for anyone else doesn’t really work for me but potentially the likes of stagecoach could win the remaining depots and it be a case of working for them being unhappy or travelling miles to continue working for my preferred choice.
Pay wise I think Arriva are on the best money now and management there have ruled out playing a part in franchising because they couldn’t offer competive prices with the pay rise they were forced to give drivers to rind the strike in the summer so can’t see us getting much more.
(26/12/2022 19:08)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]While if the franchising system doesn't work well initially presumably TfGM will look at ways to improve it.
How very naieve of you. TFGM can't organise the stuff they have now. Each year, they have the job to sort school buses by September and yet they award the contracts last minute to operators miles away because they can't cover stuff. The staff there are godawful.

(26/12/2022 19:08)knutstransport Wrote: [ -> ]The thing that franchising will change is the ability for TfGM to take one route off an operator if they do badly on that particular route. The TC will still have that ability but only if they fail to provide a registered bus service to the required level, he can't take action against a 15 year old Enviro 200 being used when the franchise agreement requires a modern 'Manchester Bee' decker.
Not really. TFGM are doing things on a per depot basis which makes it harder to move routes around. If they went down the London style franchising, this would have been significantly easier to make work. Low on staff, don't retender for a route and let someone else run it. It's not so easy when it's a depot load.

As for the Traffic Commissioner, are you sure that the TC will apply in Manchester when franchising properly takes place? The Traffic Commissioner does nothing in London really. Registrations are covered by TFL (under London Service Permits). I think the only regulation on buses in London would be DVSA if they do roadworthiness, the rest is devolved down to TFL.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Reference URL's