Current time: 07/05/2024, 04:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Businesses going bust
RE: Businesses going bust
'Then there is the issue of car parking charges..'

That regularly trotted out urban myth has recently been debunked by some large scale independant research that found NO evidence of any link between car parking charges and town centre vitality.

A local example is Runcorn - always been free parking, yet the town centre is really struggling.

Knutsford - expensive pay & display charges - yet the number of empty shops is in single figures
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(16/01/2013 02:33)wirralbus Wrote:  It seems the High Street will consist of Tesco , a few banks and a couple of charity shops

Not if their Beefburgers* are anything to go by!
(*may contain horse)

Apparently, they're high in fat, low in Shergar.
Wink
BLOCKBUSTERS - another one to call in the administrators this afternoon!
People who aren't "Technologically able" as the likes of the younger generation best start getting used to it!
The next idea (which has been around for some time) is to phase out the physical CD and DVD/PC rom and move more into SD Cards, MP3/MP4 downloading and streaming.

You'll of allready seen this coming into place with the likes of I-tunes, App stores, Microsoft points, the PSN, and movie sites such as lovefilm and the film side of 4od . ITV are now also renting TV shows and films to be downloaded and/or streamed directly.

Soon your local entertainment store will just be ordering points where you can download purcahsed items from the shop to memory storage such as a memory card, or ipod, USB port or via e-mail.
The other way will be to "Download" the software from the internet with a code or a log-in account (Such as i-tunes) where you simply get home, log on and play.

It wont be long before many of the stores such as HMV do slowly die off and be replaced.
(16/01/2013 02:33)wirralbus Wrote:  People who shop online only have themselves to blame for some of the town centres having more boarded up shops than open ones.

The truth is, although most enjoy having HMV around as a place to browse, us online shoppers have no responsibility whatsoever for its downfall. If it offered genuinely competitive prices with online retailers and the likes of Amazon (a superb website for bargains) I'd turn to HMV in a heartbeat. Ultimately, it is more convenient to buy music online and at this time of year in particular, saves a potentially cold trudge through (and indeed to and from) town.

I understand the problems surrounding taxation and the high street as compared with online retail - perhaps this bears more of the blame than the shoppers themselves. In truth, HMV is an overpriced store with little to single it out in any department, be it music, DVD or video games.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
It seems its the older generation that keeps the high street and to a lesser extent the Retail Parks going.
A statement was made on BBC1's Question Time on Thursday night by Nigel Farage which I would question the truth of as it seem sa large figure, he said at the moment 120 High Street retailers where close to collapsing, I wouldn't even think there was 120 main high street retailers in total unless he is refering to small retailers throughout the market place.
any news on what the fate of HMV will be?

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Far too early for that at the moment, they only declared themselves in trouble on Tuesday.
It has been announced that 129 Blockbuster stores are to close along with 31 or so thaqt had already been announced. Which will account for about a quarter of its stores.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)