Current time: 07/05/2024, 00:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wirral Bus & Tram Show
RE: Wirral Bus & Tram Show 2012
(08/10/2012 21:52)3111 Wrote:  I went to the Wirral Bus and Tram Show (the first bus-related event that I've been to) and I really enjoyed it! The PeoplesBus ALX400, LV52 HHC, in the company's new livery was the star of the show, in my opinion. Fantastic-looking Ultralow P309 HEM (5309) was a surprise - credit to the person who decided that it should have been parked next to Endurance N592 CKA (6592) because it was an excellent photo opportunity! I didn't ride on as much as I'd hoped to have rode on - I did ride on a well-presented tram and "Wallasey 1", which were interesting vehicles.

I wasn't happy with what Arriva buses were there... Pulsar 2 MX61 AWV (3065), out of everything that Green Lane could have sent on a Sunday, was a disappointing choice and, again, Speke's delivery, scruffy-looking Gemini 2 MX61 AXK (4469), was disappointing. Southport's choice of 375/385-branded ALX400 CX55 EAW (4107) was nice, however, again, something like a redundant-for-the-day SPD would have meant more to us, as enthusiasts. Also, space inside the main area was a big tight (I'm already in a lot of photos...!), so it was hard to take photos when the yard was nearly full (didn't help when one or two certain children were getting in the way of many photographers and shouting things like, "This bus is rubbish" by their owners - very disrespectful, even if we are entitled to our opinions).

Still, staff were pleasant in the museum and around the yards and there were a lot of happy and friendly faces around - a great day, altogether! Thanks to the organisers for organising an enjoyable day. I took a lot of photos but I've only uploaded

Slightly hypocritical of you to complain about people making unpleasant comments about the buses there then do similar in your comments about the Arriva vehicles. Just remember that someone took the time and trouble to get them on display and return them home.
Edit...
A suggestion for next year is to get there early ( if you can) and get photo,s of the vehicles as they arrive rather than wait till they are parked up.

My thanks to all those involved in a great day out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Also Arriva probably want to show off their "best" buses, SPDs may have been of interest to some enthusiasts but a lot of people were around the B7TL when I was there and the driver of said B7 is a credit to Southport.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
I'd contest the notion that the Speke Gemini was "scruffy" - it didn't look bad to me. As for the Southport B7, an excellent choice in my opinion and as CX06 has said, a top notch driver who showed his depot in the best of lights. You can't blame Arriva depots for sending their newest buses to the event - I would think to most outsiders there would be considerably more interest in a Volvo decker than a DartSLF.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
I have got to say judging by the photos I've saw it looked like a very good event indeed! 5309 looks absolutely fantastic, certainly didn't expect it to be painted but it looks really smart and seeing it parked next to 6592 was quite a sight. Can't wait to see 5309 in the flesh!

Justice is finally here. Rest In Peace the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone.

P309 HEM|N587 CKA|Y721 KNF|N302 CKB|X223 ANC
(09/10/2012 19:36)Peterw Wrote:  
(08/10/2012 21:52)3111 Wrote:  I wasn't happy with what Arriva buses were there... Pulsar 2 MX61 AWV (3065), out of everything that Green Lane could have sent on a Sunday, was a disappointing choice and, again, Speke's delivery, scruffy-looking Gemini 2 MX61 AXK (4469), was disappointing. Southport's choice of 375/385-branded ALX400 CX55 EAW (4107) was nice, however, again, something like a redundant-for-the-day SPD would have meant more to us, as enthusiasts. Also, space inside the main area was a big tight (I'm already in a lot of photos...!), so it was hard to take photos when the yard was nearly full (didn't help when one or two certain children were getting in the way of many photographers and shouting things like, "This bus is rubbish" by their owners - very disrespectful, even if we are entitled to our opinions).
Slightly hypocritical of you to complain about people making unpleasant comments about the buses there then do similar in your comments about the Arriva vehicles. Just remember that someone took the time and trouble to get them on display and return them home.
Yes, I know. I haven't criticised that - I've mainly criticised the choice of buses from the depots, as a local person, and the state of one of them (4469).

I didn't say that we couldn't have an opinion - shouting about it beside the owner, who has spent his/her own money and his/her own time on the bus, was what I was criticising. If it was posted sensibly on here, I wouldn't have had a problem with it (personally).
(09/10/2012 19:42)CX06 EBK Wrote:  Also Arriva probably want to show off their "best" buses, SPDs may have been of interest to some enthusiasts but a lot of people were around the B7TL when I was there and the driver of said B7 is a credit to Southport.
(09/10/2012 19:47)507009 Wrote:  As for the Southport B7, an excellent choice in my opinion and as CX06 has said, a top notch driver who showed his depot in the best of lights. You can't blame Arriva depots for sending their newest buses to the event - I would think to most outsiders there would be considerably more interest in a Volvo decker than a DartSLF.
Fair enough. I was just stating my opinion as a local person. It was mainly the disappointing sight of the Pulsar 2 that got to me. I didn't really have a problem with 4107 - just disappointed not to see something "elderly" there (with a past).
(09/10/2012 19:47)507009 Wrote:  I'd contest the notion that the Speke Gemini was "scruffy" - it didn't look bad to me.
Oh yeah - of course it didn't...! There was a big scratch on the side, near the doors, and the front-end looked like it needed a touch-up (underneath the front windscreen, especially). Hardly the depot's best bus, presentation-wise, in MY opinion and from what I seen of it (well, a friend pointed the "scruffiness" out), and if it was, I'd be worried...

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
i should of brought a bus from st helens depot if i knew i could of brought one.
Stagecoach hardly sent anything different did they? They had a Trident there last year and they could have easily have sent something that may have been "elderly" and near the end of its life with them too, such as one of the former CMT buses. If you think the Speke Gemini was bad then what bus could have Green Lane sent? Most of the Dart SLFs look tired, the B10BLEs definitely do so it leaves very little to send. The bus was at the end of the day a substitute for a preserved bus which couldn't attend anyway.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
(09/10/2012 21:08)CX06 EBK Wrote:  Stagecoach hardly sent anything different did they? They had a Trident there last year and they could have easily have sent something that may have been "elderly" and near the end of its life with them too, such as one of the former CMT buses. If you think the Speke Gemini was bad then what bus could have Green Lane sent? Most of the Dart SLFs look tired, the B10BLEs definitely do so it leaves very little to send. The bus was at the end of the day a substitute for a preserved bus which couldn't attend anyway.
Well, I wouldn't have known because this was the first show that I've attended (thought that they usually sent more than one, to be fair). To be honest, Stagecoach are a completely different story altogether - I could have written forever about how they should have had that 'decker in service and, as you've suggested, an ex-"Olympic Reserve" bus at the show. For that, I apologise. As for First, I wouldn't even know where to start with them...

Overall, I was disappointed with the input from "the big companies" - just thought that they could have sent better buses. Whether it's a standard procedure or not, though, I couldn't say - again, first show that I've been to.

In all the years I have attended Wirral Bus & Tram the eldest Arriva bus to appear was C212 GTU just before it was converted to open top, N283 CKB attended a few times (driven by the Southport driver of 4107) but usually they tend to be newish buses. 4125 went from Speke last year and Commander 2601 or 2602 has been along with an "old" DLA and 2062 (I think) and 4120. Birkenhead have sent an Enviro 400 while there was a St Helens Paladin there one year but it tends to skew towards newer buses. I would have thought this is natural as the depot wants to show off its best buses to as many people as possible, especially as some people may never see 4107 for example as they may never visit Southport. People come from all over so they want the best presented buses, all of which I mentioned were very clean when they visited.

(09/10/2012 21:25)CX06 EBK Wrote:  In all the years I have attended Wirral Bus & Tram the eldest Arriva bus to appear was C212 GTU just before it was converted to open top, N283 CKB attended a few times (driven by the Southport driver of 4107) but usually they tend to be newish buses. 4125 went from Speke last year and Commander 2601 or 2602 has been along with an "old" DLA and 2062 (I think) and 4120. Birkenhead have sent an Enviro 400 while there was a St Helens Paladin there one year but it tends to skew towards newer buses. I would have thought this is natural as the depot wants to show off its best buses to as many people as possible, especially as some people may never see 4107 for example as they may never visit Southport. People come from all over so they want the best presented buses, all of which I mentioned were very clean when they visited.
Well, if there's a next time, I won't expect anything to be there like I expected this time...! Always thought that they've sent older buses - obviously not. As for Stagecoach and First, already explained Stagecoach and I didn't even know that First sent buses to the show (and they mightn't even have a depot around here to show-off soon, anyway)! The reason why I thought that they sent older buses there was because of the amount of "preserved" buses around - again, thought that was the aim but, again, obviously not!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)