Current time: 15/05/2024, 18:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(29/05/2013 22:40)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  
(29/05/2013 21:57)ace Wrote:  
(29/05/2013 20:34)Neukit Wrote:  They aren't really suited to operation in "out of town" areas, which predominate in many of the Stagecoach UK Bus operations.

Which probably explains why there are none at Ashton depot, as they do a lot of out of town and short journey routes.

It would appear that some people are mis-understanding what Neukit & Bonwick, are saying.

So, I will have a go!

1) If a Hybrid were to breakdown (I have lost count on how postings there have been about them breaking down) in the centre of Manchester, the next bus is only minutes away, whereas if a bus was to breakdown in the lakes, the next bus could be an hour or more away.

2) As a Hybrid bus cause less pollution, then a normal bus, there is greater health benefits for the population of large urban areas like Manchester, then large rural areas, like the Lake District.
OK thanks for that Whitevanman.
It has been 'implied' that Hybrids are particularly efficient in hilly areas, anyone know if that is true?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(29/05/2013 22:40)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  
(29/05/2013 21:57)ace Wrote:  
(29/05/2013 20:34)Neukit Wrote:  They aren't really suited to operation in "out of town" areas, which predominate in many of the Stagecoach UK Bus operations.

Which probably explains why there are none at Ashton depot, as they do a lot of out of town and short journey routes.

It would appear that some people are mis-understanding what Neukit & Bonwick, are saying.

So, I will have a go!

1) If a Hybrid were to breakdown (I have lost count on how postings there have been about them breaking down) in the centre of Manchester, the next bus is only minutes away, whereas if a bus was to breakdown in the lakes, the next bus could be an hour or more away.

2) As a Hybrid bus cause less pollution, then a normal bus, there is greater health benefits for the population of large urban areas like Manchester, then large rural areas, like the Lake District.

Makes good sense, but on your first point regarding breakdowns, couldn't the same be said about any bus, or is this suggesting hybrids are far less reliable?
Nope, you've still not grasped the point.

Hybrid vehicles are best on low speed, stop-start routes as this allows maximum use of the electric motor and keeps the battery charged. More use of electricity = less diesel. Their top speed of 40mph is a major limitation for suburban routes, and completely inappropriate for interurban routes.

Equally, hybrids are marketed as improving fuel consumption and air quality. Again, this is best achieved in cities with the ability to cut out engine idling in traffic.
Hey guys,

I wonder I saw 22158 is on 540 from Bolton to wigan when I arrive from 471 bus but near miss the bus and caught alx300 MAN 22158. It that loan again? I know it is 22097 or 22167 been to wigan depot, yeah?

Thank you,

Martyn
(30/05/2013 11:05)mbonwick Wrote:  Nope, you've still not grasped the point.

Hybrid vehicles are best on low speed, stop-start routes as this allows maximum use of the electric motor and keeps the battery charged. More use of electricity = less diesel. Their top speed of 40mph is a major limitation for suburban routes, and completely inappropriate for interurban routes.

Equally, hybrids are marketed as improving fuel consumption and air quality. Again, this is best achieved in cities with the ability to cut out engine idling in traffic.

Ah yes, I get it now. That's what makes them so good for the 192 and Oxford Road routes, and also why we'll never see one on the X5.
(30/05/2013 20:44)ace Wrote:  
(30/05/2013 11:05)mbonwick Wrote:  Nope, you've still not grasped the point.

Ah yes, I get it now. That's what makes them so good for the 192 and Oxford Road routes, and also why we'll never see one on the X5.

I've learnt several new things there now too & the most surprising is that their top speed is 40 mph.
You'll never see a Hybrid on X5 as despite it being a Stockport route, its actually still operated out of Middleton Depot until such a time some of Middleton routes are swapped between depots
Thats probably why, bluebird depot seem to have just been given the old sheds...
Middleton is currently in no position to handle the hybids engineering wise; none of the staff have had training on them for starters.

I believe the swap round of routes was supposed to have happened by now, but the collapse of Maytree has set that back somewhat.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that 40mph is the balancing speed of the motor - any higher and you need fairly complex electronics to divert the saturating field from the motor.
I saw 17066 repainted in Magic Bus livery this afternoon. This is the first ex-London Tirdent I have seen on Magic Bus, although they have been touted before.

A handful of other Tridents now have orange route/ destination displays but no others I saw were ex-London.

Regarding the route swaps, do you know what route reallocations are planned?

User(s) browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)