Current time: 05/05/2024, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jim Stones Coaches
RE: Jim Stones Coaches
Jim Stones Coaches is to close on Saturday 18th April with drivers made redundant, unless a buyer is found. They've cited the uncertainty of bus franchising, and the upcoming LEZ plans.
Jim and his wife will now retire. All the best to the drivers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wonder what will happen to the routes that Jim Stones currently operate? It will be a sad day though as Jim Stones and his friendly drivers have been round for years while I very rarely used his services whenever I've come across Jim himself in the past he's come across as a friendly bloke who pays for an entertainment licence as all the buses he has bought/leased have had radioes fitted and mostly turned on for his passengers pleasure while their travelling from A to B.

I dont think you get many bus operators that actually pay for the licence to play music on their vehicles these days unless I'm wrong.
Are the majority of Jim Stones routes not TfGM contracts or at least funded in part? I imagine Diamond would take on most.
Very sad to see jim stones go ..ultimately the bigger companies get bigger thru default
(16/01/2020 18:09)jcksmnr Wrote:  Are the majority of Jim Stones routes not TfGM contracts or at least funded in part? I imagine Diamond would take on most.

Given that there's 3 months before they cease operating, I would expect all of the affected services to be put out for re-tender.
(16/01/2020 18:09)jcksmnr Wrote:  Are the majority of Jim Stones routes not TfGM contracts or at least funded in part?

It's not always completely accurate, but the "Supported by subsidies?" field on the gov.uk search gives the following:

Yes: 589, 590, 596, 599, 933
In Part: 583, 584, 682
No: 584, 588, 593, 595

(I don't know why there are two separate registrations for 584.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
There is a short version of the 584 so that must be on a separete registration.
(16/01/2020 18:09)jcksmnr Wrote:  Are the majority of Jim Stones routes not TfGM contracts or at least funded in part? I imagine Diamond would take on most.

Sad to see Jim go, however doubt Diamond would take on a lot as there Bolton depot as Winston keeps saying is now at capacity and can't hold any more, unless of course they now reopen Atherton or buy the Leigh depot from Jim Stones.

Suspect the tenders in the Lowton area will possibly end up with Stagecoach as its close to Bryn depot or if not then one of the Warrington independents or Network Warrington.
(17/01/2020 15:58)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Sad to see Jim go, however doubt Diamond would take on a lot as there Bolton depot as Winston keeps saying is now at capacity and can't hold any more, unless of course they now reopen Atherton or buy the Leigh depot from Jim Stones.

Suspect the tenders in the Lowton area will possibly end up with Stagecoach as its close to Bryn depot or if not then one of the Warrington independents or Network Warrington.

I'm not 100% sure on Bolton max capacity, as some of the allocation is now Solo's in lieu of full size single deckers. I assume they could find capacity to absorb some of Jim Stones work if required, it's not a lot & mainly run swb Enviro200's.

Atherton is not an option as I understand another business is now leasing it.
Thought Diamond are struggling to cover there own work so doubt they would take on any more untill they are fully staffed up.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)