Current time: 20/05/2024, 11:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Finglands
RE: Finglands
^^^^^

Really??? Come as a bit of a suprise to me. Had no idea that they are about to fold. I guess it comes down to simple economics I.e. they cannot compete with the larger operators. A real shame if this is the case.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Think EYMS who owned Finglands just wanted to retrench back to there heartland back on the other side of the pennines .

Hopefully the OFT dont want another North Devon fiasco .
Apparently the Finglands bus arm has made a loss for the last 3 years running. Apparently the coaching side did slightly better which is why they hung on as long as they did.
Hardly surprising that Maynes, Bullocks and Bluebird all sold out when they did.
It is a shame though, but eventually it will be first arriva and stagecoach only...
In my hometown of Ashton it's already pretty bleak with 99% of journeys run by First and Stagecoach. Admittedly there is a very small presence from MCC on weekdays and JPT on Sundays but overall it's a bleak sight, turn back the clock 15 years and it was the complete opposite with independents everywhere. Sadly Piccadilly is starting to look the same.

Question is, should Finglands have changed things and tried harder with smaller tenders?
Look at Rossendale. Thier operating tenders well outside their normal operating area and I'm sure they don't do it through choice.
(29/12/2013 12:41)Mayneway Wrote:  Apparently the Finglands bus arm has made a loss for the last 3 years running. Apparently the coaching side did slightly better which is why they hung on as long as they did.
Hardly surprising that Maynes, Bullocks and Bluebird all sold out when they did.

Bullocks only sold part of their stage carriage side to Stagecoach.

I suspect GHA may have a nibble at bidding for some tendered work in the Stockport and Trafford MBC areas as they have an established presence across most of Cheshire outside Warrington these days.
(29/12/2013 18:39)DVL418 Wrote:  
(29/12/2013 12:41)Mayneway Wrote:  Apparently the Finglands bus arm has made a loss for the last 3 years running. Apparently the coaching side did slightly better which is why they hung on as long as they did.

Bullocks only sold part of their stage carriage side to Stagecoach.

I suspect GHA may have a nibble at bidding for some tendered work in the Stockport and Trafford MBC areas as they have an established presence across most of Cheshire outside Warrington these days.

Bullocks sold thier commercial bus side which was concentrated on Wilmslow rd as is the Finglands operation.
GHA'll probably try & pick up some of the leftovers that first/stagecoach don't wanna run. Real shame to see finglands going as they've been around like 20+ years now but they can't run at a loss so times move forward.
(29/12/2013 10:42)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Really??? Come as a bit of a suprise to me. Had no idea that they are about to fold. I guess it comes down to simple economics I.e. they cannot compete with the larger operators. A real shame if this is the case.
Huh
They are not 'about to fold'. Finglands will either be sold to First Manchester (by some margin the likely outcome) or closed down as it is loss-making and clearly that's not a sustainable place to be.

Peter Shipp of EYMS is not a young man and it seems quite obvious what the disposal of Finglands will lead to at some point. Whenever the time comes he can hold his head high and cash out safe in the knowledge that as a career busman he has done a fine job.

I have little time for Coach and Bus Week but the interview with Peter Shipp they ran is an excellent article.
Privatisation of buses was a bad thing from day one, the same companies operate the same routes and are only challenged on tenders or routes in less dense areas. On the major bus corridors the same companies operate year in and year out.

Back to the topic it will be a shame to see Finglands go, but hopefully First give it a good go, although O will not be giving my hopes up. Hopefully First will operate the 42 every 10 mins that is timed with an every 10 mins 41. Perhaps the 41 can be expanded to Altrincham. If Stagecoach react then First may be able to attack some Middleton routes, but a few increases wouldn't be provocative.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)