Current time: 16/06/2024, 19:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(08/12/2014 23:53)gilbert Wrote:  In St Paul's Rd,Rock Ferry to be precise.

It must have been travelling at some speed, as the roof appeared to have been totally sheared off. I presume that the vehicle will be a write-off now, as it will not be worth repairing given it's age?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Well they could make it into an open topper to replace something older somewhere.
So today, stagecoach are highlighting a 'significant' reduction in profitability in its Manchester business - First apparently are being a little more effective, as competition is being indicated as one of the reasons.

For those interested, the trading statement is on the corporate website - unable to copy the PDF here.
Might I suggest you re-read the official release...

"The reported operating profit includes a significant year-on-year reduction in the profitability of our Manchester Bus business, which partly reflects the competitive effects of changes in fares and increased bus services in the market".
Stagecoach were slow off the mark with cross city services when they took over Bluebird. First used Finglands ASA springboard to attack Stagecoach who, deservedly, were caught out a and still don't appear to be onthe ball. Why on earth haven't they linked up the ex Bluebird/JPT services with Sth Man?
(10/12/2014 18:56)rod_259 Wrote:  Stagecoach were slow off the mark with cross city services when they took over Bluebird. First used Finglands ASA springboard to attack Stagecoach who, deservedly, were caught out a and still don't appear to be onthe ball. Why on earth haven't they linked up the ex Bluebird/JPT services with Sth Man?

I'm not Firsts biggest fan but I wouldn't say they have attacked Stagecoach. Don't forget Finglands were running at a loss so First were always going to make changes which would effect Stagecoach but from general observations First don't seem to be 'booming' on the ex Finglands services.
I do agree though that Stagecoach could have done a lot more with Middleton than they have. I'm not sure cross city services were the answer but I would like to have seen them increase their presence in Middleton and dare I say Oldham too!

Is this statement a suggestion that the 38 hasn't been the hit they were expecting it to be and does this mean another round of fare increases is on the cards.
(10/12/2014 19:58)Dentonian Wrote:  You're forgetting the ban on cross-city bus services introduced by the city council in 1995. This was only relaxed when the 18 was introduced to give specific access for north Mancunians to MRI. Further relaxation only came after First's aquisition of Finglands went through, and given some of the comments made by local politicians, I suspect there were some "behind the scenes" agreements made before the Council agreed to that. The Jpt deal was approved way after this "bus war" started, so that is largely irrelevant. Over and above that - as I have regularly stated - there is finite capacity through the city centre, so the Council could very easily re-introduce the TRO once they feel capacity has been reached. Perhaps Stagecoach would have been better extending the 112 INSTEAD of introducing the 38.

You make a good point regarding the 112 and I think a lot of people are shocked Stagecoach haven't done more with it, the question is did Stagecoach really spot a gap in the market with the 38 or was and is it simply a pop at First?
(08/12/2014 19:44)Owl Wrote:  passed the B7 on the 80 this evening, so it's still hanging on.

I am a bit confused by what is happening with this bus. I saw it on the 80 the other day, at a time when I would have expected it to be on the university contract. I have also seen a couple of the dual door buses close to Middleton Depot this week.

I have noted that it has been reported that the B7 has reliability problems. Does this mean that Stagecoach are reluctant to send it over to Salford in case it breaks?
The dual door magic 17501 is used for a school has been used in service when desperate but isn't intended for that use. With the new low emission thing coming in for oxford road I think that most on lane would be a good use for the old magics.... As for company view why scrap when they can use them; as for s driver; scrap them give Middleton enviro 400s...
(10/12/2014 10:07)Dentonian Wrote:  Which direction, and how long was it there for? If opposite the Fir Tree, then tail backs are normal in the morning rush hour anyway. If outside the Fir Tree, then its only one lane, anyway.

I ask the questions as my Mum was late for a Hospital appt after waiting for a long time for a 203 (around 1000), and then passengers were transferred from her 203 AND a 206 to a bulging 201 at the Depot. We would have blamed it on the usual accident at Portwood on the M60, except that this was anti-clockwise, so wouldn' t have gridlocked Stockport and all points east and north.

It was heading towards Stockport at the time, so opposite the Fir Tree.
I know that road does get busy in the rush hour, but the tail back was almost back as far as the Bulls Head terminus.

User(s) browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)