Current time: 26/04/2024, 06:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Businesses going bust
Businesses going bust
HMV are tonight calling the administrators only a week after Jessops went down the pan.

The 2002 Bus Blog is about Transport in the North West of England and North Wales however we do venture further afield on some occasions - why not check out our latest content on our Website

My Flickr page can be found Here

Why not also check me out on YouTube - I play a variety of Simulation Games including Euro Truck Simulator 2 and SnowRunner
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Businesses going bust
No surprise with HMV really, they have suffered from people ordering their music on line and straight to their phones etc. Hope all shops don't shut as when browsing around HMV a lot of the time you can find things that you might have forgot about or might not necessarily have thought of when browsing on line but pick when in the store.
Find all posts by this user
I will be very very sad if HMV is not bought out, and has to close. It is the only High St chain store of its type and of its extensive range.

When Virgin Megastore was in the same position, it was purchased by Zavvi, and Head, and then continued to die slowly.
is JJB sport going bust as well? for some reason i can recall hearing something about it

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
(14/01/2013 22:39)bolton bus basher Wrote:  is JJB sport going bust as well? for some reason i can recall hearing something about it

They have gone mate, Sports Direct took over the majority of the stores and stock with it.

The 2002 Bus Blog is about Transport in the North West of England and North Wales however we do venture further afield on some occasions - why not check out our latest content on our Website

My Flickr page can be found Here

Why not also check me out on YouTube - I play a variety of Simulation Games including Euro Truck Simulator 2 and SnowRunner
Going bust? its already gone bust assests where bought by Sports Direct but only a few stores and the Wigan headquarters with a much reuced staff.

As for HMV I would very much doub't anything but the online business can be saved, as its losses are huge and from every single business segment even overseas in Singapore and Hong Kong which are in the middle of a boom.

So the only place other than the Internet to buy DVD's and CD's will be supermarkets plus in the case of DVD's in larger WH Smiths stores where there is a limited range.

Although having said that stores in the City Centres do well its stores in towns like Wigan, Bolton, Chester etc thats brought them down. Also they own FOPP so they are now also definately finished unless anyone just bought the 9 FOPP Stores.

HMV could have done itself a favour anyway and reduced this risk by closing all of its out of City stores and just retaining those in the large Metropolitan Cities and in Tourist locations, and changed its range so it caters to some extent to older buyers who are perhaps less likely to go on the Internet and also openned cafe's within them, that would have saved £millions but generated new revenues, also things such as Posters to a larger extent as well as clothing might have also increased revenues as its difficult to take online delivery of a posters and clothing, maybe also a move into magazines as well might have helped thus replacing those lost when Borders shut down in 2009.
HMV until I think was last year owned Waterstone's but this was sold to a Russian businessman i am led to believe , that purchase has probably saved them from pulled down the plug hole .
Correct HMV did own Waterstones and did indeed sell them in order to get some money in. This is the second big company to go bust this year and it is only the second week of January, you wonder who will be next.
Ethel Austin is another one gone,local founded company

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
(15/01/2013 08:36)Penny Return Wrote:  Ethel Austin is another one gone,local founded company

All Ethel Austin stores closed last Friday, bouncer built men entered all the stores at the same time (except Moreton) and took the keys and took the managers to the bank to bank what takings they had.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)