Current time: 16/04/2024, 04:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Remaining Independents in Merseyside
Remaining Independents in Merseyside
I’m a right in saying that there is only 4 or 5 independent operators left in Merseyside (A2B,Cumfybus,Hattons,HTL,Link Network)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Remaining Independents in Merseyside
There are others but only do Schools such as Happy Al's

There is also Peoplesbus as well who operate the 4.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(24/02/2019 14:23)T42 PVM Wrote:  There are others but only do Schools such as Happy Al's

There is also Peoplesbus as well who operate the 4.

Ethier way there isn’t that many left now
Cumfybus arent renewing any of their contracts when they expire the owners have said. MAghull & Aintree do most of Liverpool schools, Als on the Wirral
And Aintree CL/Helms ??
Helms is technically Cheshire based.

Ogdens is Merseyside based. As is Red Kite (who are apparently running a 652 according to bustimes.org )

It's a shame about the lack of independants. We need a fearless independant to make things interesting in Merseyside. Lots of gaps for services but big companies won't do them as they go into eachothers areas or they don't make £20b per hour.

Everyone seems to be giving up on service work at the moment. I am surprised though that there aren't more between school routes. There seems to be a LOT of them elsewhere in the UK but not so many in Merseyside.
I agree that the number of independents is shrinking fast and I suppose the game of last man standing will be a short one. Should the likes of HTL either be bought out or cease trading Merseyside will effectively become a duopoly with Arriva and Stagecoach.

This is not what was presented to the public in 1986, but politicians have continued to sell policies that seemed a good idea at the time only for the full negative impact to be felt many years later.
(24/02/2019 21:45)iMarkeh Wrote:  Everyone seems to be giving up on service work at the moment. I am surprised though that there aren't more between school routes. There seems to be a LOT of them elsewhere in the UK but not so many in Merseyside.

The reason why there are fewer and fewer small bus companies both on Merseyside and across the UK is quite simple. Since 2010 subsidies from central government have been cut to the point that it is impossible to make marginal services profitable. Be honest, who would set up a business knowing that it would fail?

If you want to see an interesting and varied bus operation on Merseyside I suggest you buy a TARDIS. I'm sure that would attract passengers.
I'm interested to know if there are any local rumours of one of the big groups having an operating interest in an independent on Merseyside, or rumours of a tie up, but which is not confirmed by either. Here in Fife, there are continued rumours that Stagecoach have either got an interest, or actually are the real owners, of a large independent here. These rumours have been fuelled by a huge recent investment in new minibuses by this operator, albeit using vehicles not standard Stagecoach types, but also by the recent arrival of four ex Stagecoach East Scotland double deckers, and at least thirteen ex Stagecoach Volvo B7R coaches from other Stagecoach firms.

Someone also suggested a new super independent to take on the big boys. All I'll say is, if Glenvale had NOT bought CMT buses, you may have had that super independent.
(25/02/2019 08:33)robertclark125 Wrote:  I'm interested to know if there are any local rumours of one of the big groups having an operating interest in an independent on Merseyside, or rumours of a tie up, but which is not confirmed by either.

Someone also suggested a new super independent to take on the big boys. All I'll say is, if Glenvale had NOT bought CMT buses, you may have had that super independent.

That is not beyond the realms of possibility as HTL is a mini/midibus operation mainly relying on tendered services. Should either Arriva or Stagecoach buy out HTL, Merseytravel would be over a barrel when it comes to renewing contracts.

As for Glenvale's demise, I know one of the financial backers of that company and he assured me that the cost of replacing an ageing fleet, upgrading depot facilities and tackling fare evasion was beyond him.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)