Current time: 23/04/2024, 22:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bus Driver Driving Hours
Bus Driver Driving Hours
Is someone able to simplify the driving hours for me? I see drivers can drive for 5 1/2 hours before they have to have a 30 minute break then it said something about you need 45 minute in breaks before 8 1/2 hours and stuff about over 8 hours.
Would a driver possibly be able to drive for 5 hours then a 1 hour break then 4 hours driving?
All the different timing restraints confuse me.
Also, would a driver be able to do the following as a split shift? 07:30 - 12:00 then 16:30-19:35?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Bus Driver Driving Hours
Your total driving is 10 hours over a 12 hour period with a minimum 31 minute break so you could do 5 hours then 31 mins off then another 5 hours.
You can drive with accumulated breaks where you basically have your break at each terminus like 15 mins either end.
Split shifts are in use at most big operators as thats how they provide extra buses in peak times as a driver can drive 06:00-10:00 then 4 hours off then drive 14:00-18:00.
All i know is arriva work on a minimum 31 minutes for the meal break and arriva still do operate splits in nearly all its depots in some way or form.
The accumulate breaks still apply but don't tend to be used by the big companies but some smaller firms still use them as the likes of HTL use them on there lates i think.
At Stagecoach, Gillmoss anyway, minimum breaks are 38 minutes (with union agreement) but legally it is still 30 minutes.

Cumulative breaks, by our rules have to be at least 15 minutes each to count (not sure what the legal minimum to count is) however I'm not aware of any duties at Gillmoss that actually use cumulative breaks, the 15 minutes rule is from the driver handbook. The break has to be off the bus too, at either the depot or one of the canteens at Liverpool ONE, Liverpool South Parkway or I think Bootle Bus Station (for the 53) though I never do route 53 myself to be sure.

Almost all our duties are based on driving so long (rarely up to the maximum which would be 5 hours 30 minutes, usually under 5 hours by some way), then a break of at least 38 minutes (again, often this is longer than the minimum break), then some more driving.

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
Sorry guys, I did meant to say 30 minutes. Typos happen as we all know. Does anyone know if my two examples would be legal or would they be illegal due to the 8.5 hour rule?
The example of 5 hours driving, 1 hour break, followed by 4 hours driving would certainly be fine and legal.

As your split shift example is over 12 hours an 5 minutes, I would have thought that was 5 minutes over (even if the shift looks fairly easy) but I've never done a split shift myself to be sure.

Just to confirm too, my examples are based on GB domestic driving rules, so no tachometer required - If you go on EU rules you can only driver 4 hours 30, then 45 minutes break but really only coach drivers (or those on tachometers) go with these rules.

buses7675

Sorry, I should have specified. I did want to know about the GB domestic rules for less than 50km routes. While I hae been writing duties, the longest one currently is 10 hours 5 minutes (non split). The shift would be 5 hours 10 then a 1 hour break before 3h55 to finish off. That would be legal. As for split shifts, I think it is 16 hours. You must finish no less that 16 hours later than your start time.
Quote: Length of working day (‘spreadover’)

You must not work more than 16 hours between the times of starting and finishing work - including non driving work and any times when you’re off.
That was the only part that I think I understand. The rest of it seems a bit odd. A driver tells me 5 hours driving before you must have a break but the Gov site says 5h 30. I know you have to accommodate for lateness and I have done that.
5 hours 30 minutes is the correct maximum allowed before a break - with your example above (of 5 hours 10 minutes) just be careful that the service doesn't become 20 minutes or more late at take off time else you may have to have drivers going out of service prior to the break (to catch up) or stopping short to make sure they don't go over the legal maximum driving time.

buses7675

The gov.uk website has a detailed guide:
https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules
Nicholas, I did read that and that was what confused me. Different variants.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)