Current time: 03/05/2024, 02:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Potential headache for Cheshire East council
Potential headache for Cheshire East council
The Department for Work and Pensions has launched a consultation in to closing Wilmslow Job Centre and for services to transfer to an expanded Macclesfield Job Centre. DWP has looked at the 130 bus and see it as an adequate option for getting between Wilmslow and Macclesfield. However, DWP has overlooked that Knutsford Job Centre closed many years ago with services transferred to Wilmslow Job Centre. I've heard a rumour that revenue on the subsided 88 service taken from job seekers can be over £1,000 a week and most of the usage between 10am and 3pm are job seekers and ENCTS pass holders. Whether the 27 service will get the revenue lost by the 88 service also is unclear as DWP say the maximum travelling time by public transport should be 35 minutes and 27 bus services take up to 50 minutes.

I bet Arriva will be pleased if the plans get approved - nice boost in off-peak usage on the 130 route between Wilmslow and Macclesfield for them!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Potential headache for Cheshire East council
This is happening all over the country. I know in the St Helens area they plan to close Newton-Le-willows job centre, although it's only a 20 minute to what will be the expanded St Helens office. Apologies for going slightly off topic but it is part of the same review.
(07/02/2017 17:15)St Helens Rider Wrote:  This is happening all over the country. I know in the St Helens area they plan to close Newton-Le-willows job centre, although it's only a 20 minute to what will be the expanded St Helens office. Apologies for going slightly off topic but it is part of the same review.

There's consultations for 25 closures: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...=&to_date= and it's possible there could be more as they don't have to consult where the alternative job centre is within 3 miles of the existing one.

With Cheshire East awarding new 5 year contracts to replace the ex-GHA services last autumn the timing of this for them isn't good but I suppose it depends what provision there is for amendments to contracts if there's a significant change in usage.
(07/02/2017 17:06)knutstransport Wrote:  The Department for Work and Pensions has launched a consultation in to closing Wilmslow Job Centre and for services to transfer to an expanded Macclesfield Job Centre. DWP has looked at the 130 bus and see it as an adequate option for getting between Wilmslow and Macclesfield. However, DWP has overlooked that Knutsford Job Centre closed many years ago with services transferred to Wilmslow Job Centre. I've heard a rumour that revenue on the subsided 88 service taken from job seekers can be over £1,000 a week and most of the usage between 10am and 3pm are job seekers and ENCTS pass holders. Whether the 27 service will get the revenue lost by the 88 service also is unclear as DWP say the maximum travelling time by public transport should be 35 minutes and 27 bus services take up to 50 minutes.

I bet Arriva will be pleased if the plans get approved - nice boost in off-peak usage on the 130 route between Wilmslow and Macclesfield for them!
As usual I would suggest you take less notice of rumours with regards to revenues etc on bus services and try and stick to the facts
I've said the value is a rumour. However, it's a fact that new jobseeker claimants attend weekly rather than fortnightly so one from Knutsford who uses the bus to get to and from the jobcentre pays a minimum of £10 a fortnight in bus fares opposed to £5 minimum, as would have been the case when GHA ran the service.

TSS have recently undertaken passenger surveys on contracted routes (including the 88) so they will have an idea of what current bus passengers use the bus service for and what type of tickets they buy.
Local councillors are to discuss the issue regarding closing Wilmslow JC including the effect on local transport next Monday.

The Labour councillors on Cheshire East council have criticised the council's passenger surveys as they haven't been used to find out about existing habits and not how to get more patronage.
At a council meeting on Monday it was suggested the 27 service needed enhancing but that other services, such as the 300 evening service, could see their funding cut next year.

Unfortunately, some councillors have the opinion that the only reason for bus subsides is because not enough people use the bus services. Nothing to do with the bus services not running at times when people would use them or trying to attract people to use public transport.

I remember when the 38 seater Wright Cadets were used on an hourly 27 service and they got almost full at peak times. Yet the service reduction and increased fares are part of the reason why passenger numbers on that route are so much lower now.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)