Current time: 25/04/2024, 04:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Buses
Football Buses
In recent years, Merseytravel and Stagecoach have made an effort to improve connectivity with the two main football stadia within the city boundaries. The Soccerbus is an excellent service - if you live close to a Merseyrail station - and the 917 and 919 are useful if you wish to travel TO either Anfield or Goodison Park from the city centre.

However, I think Merseytravel could do a lot more to promote the use of bus services to both stadia. The only information I could find on the Merseytravel site was a link on Planned Changes: Plan your journey to and from Anfield Stadium. (No mention of Goodison Park for some reason). In the link it simply made reference to the Soccerbus rather than the numerous frequent Mon-Sat bus services that pass or are within reasonable walking distance of Anfield (14, 17, 19, 26/27, 68, 310, 345).

Personally, I would welcome the opportunity to leave my car at home and be able to get bus to watch my team but, unless the game kicks off at 3pm on a Saturday - a rare event these days -, this is often very problematic.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Football Buses
Bolton FC have 13 Different Soccer Buses witch is great as it more easy to get to and from the game

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13 Buses for Bolton ! Is that a bus for each fan lol

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.
13 Different Buses and 13 different routes

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
In recent weeks, Arriva have started throwing extra buses on displaying 26E Anfield, on matchdays. Seemed a bit sussy at first.
If were talking Match Buses as a whole for different clubs then Manchester United have extra Match Buses for fans getting to/from the match normally operated as extra 256s to and from Manchester, also M Travel run extras direct from/to the ground to/from Manchester.

Also Manchester City have always had the extra 216s operated by Stagecoach that start/finish at the ground.
In light of this report in today's Echo, I thought that I would try to resurrect this thread. Personally, I would much prefer to travel to and from a match on a bus than have to drive my car and park it several miles away from the ground.

I am old enough to remember a time - before bus deregulation - when the MPTE ran a comprehensive network of football specials across the whole of the greater Liverpool area and believe that this should be reintroduced.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv...n-15239999
I don't know why Gillmoss Park and Ride hasn't been used for footballs. It would make use of the spaces and would in theory keep traffic off the east lancs/Walton Hall Ave. I do think some supporter buses will work well. Look at Reading, they have 16 football buses just for 1 club. There is definitely some sort of market for other services. Good on Stagecoach for looking into it. I look forward to seeing what they come up with.
Stagecoach MCSL often promote the soccerbus on their twitter feed as well, as do Merseytravel. I accept, however, that not everyone uses Twitter, or has the internet. So it does get promoted.
(05/10/2018 15:43)robertclark125 Wrote:  Stagecoach MCSL often promote the soccerbus on their twitter feed as well, as do Merseytravel. I accept, however, that not everyone uses Twitter, or has the internet. So it does get promoted.

If you read the article, it states that Stagecoach is looking to introduce additional football specials other than the 917 and 919.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)