Current time: 01/05/2024, 20:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rail Replacement - Bike Bus
Rail Replacement - Bike Bus
When the Rail Replacements between Hamilton Square and Liverpool start There will be a Bike Bus between Hamilton Square and Moorfields operating hourly from 6am until 11pm, Wright Endurance M519 WHF is currently being converted to operate this

http://www.merseyrail.org/wirral-track-r...bikes.aspx

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Rail Replacement - Bike Bus
(07/12/2016 19:00)T42 PVM Wrote:  When the Rail Replacements between Hamilton Square and Liverpool start There will be a Bike Bus between Hamilton Square and Moorfields operating hourly from 6am until 11pm, Wright Endurance M519 WHF is currently being converted to operate this

Great to see an Endurance back in use - even if it's just for rail replacements

I might have to borrow a pedal bike so I can get a ride!
Find all posts by this user
(07/12/2016 19:22)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  Great to see an Endurance back in use - even if it's just for rail replacements

I might have to borrow a pedal bike so I can get a ride!

As a Cyclist myself i am looking forward to getting a ride myself!

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(07/12/2016 19:00)T42 PVM Wrote:  When the Rail Replacements between Hamilton Square and Liverpool start There will be a Bike Bus between Hamilton Square and Moorfields operating hourly from 6am until 11pm, Wright Endurance M519 WHF is currently being converted to operate this

Be nice to get a good picture of M519WHF
Surely it would have been a better option to use a withdrawn/up for withdrawal low floor vehicle such as the mylleniums or renowns than a high floor vehicle which has already had most of it's cab surround and interior removed
(07/12/2016 20:25)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Surely it would have been a better option to use a withdrawn/up for withdrawal low floor vehicle such as the mylleniums or renowns than a high floor vehicle which has already had most of it's cab surround and interior removed

There aren't any spare Myllenniums or Renowns available

Well done Merseytravel! For once!!
(07/12/2016 20:35)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  There aren't any spare Myllenniums or Renowns available

There's atleast 3 mylleniums in the region already in withdrawn state and the others will soon be following (Understandably not in the best condition and probably Sorn).

With the Gemini 3's shortly arriving into the region on temporary loan to Birkenhead this would free up mylleniums currently sat at LS, which could be converted. It is not unusual for depots either to provide a loan to allow such a conversion to take place. By the time the rail replacement is over, all of the X and Y reg vehicles will be withdrawn due to single decker buses being freed up by SL and GL as the Gemini 3's settle into their destined homes.

It's also worth noting that 2 extra buses will be on loan to Arriva NW very shortly for electric vehicle trialing (again freeing up 2 buses)
while the mylleniums would make sense size wise for the bike bus they can't go through the Birkenhead tunnel which I guess the rail replacements will be using.
(07/12/2016 20:48)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  There's atleast 3 mylleniums in the region already in withdrawn state and the others will soon be following (Understandably not in the best condition and probably Sorn).

With the Gemini 3's shortly arriving into the region on temporary loan to Birkenhead this would free up mylleniums currently sat at LS, which could be converted. It is not unusual for depots either to provide a loan to allow such a conversion to take place. By the time the rail replacement is over, all of the X and Y reg vehicles will be withdrawn due to single decker buses being freed up by SL and GL as the Gemini 3's settle into their destined homes.

It's also worth noting that 2 extra buses will be on loan to Arriva NW very shortly for electric vehicle trialing (again freeing up 2 buses)

I don't see the point in converting 8214 only for it to be replaced by a low floor vehicle - it would just be a waste of money. In this particular case there isn't a necessity for the bicycle carrying bus to be low floor anyway seeing that it's specifically for Merseyrail passengers who are cyclists. If one of the saloons coming up for withdrawal was used instead of 8214 then it would mean having to wait until the Yutong and StreetAir loan buses arrive and then waiting for the selected vehicle to be converted after it's been released. Considering the popularity of bicycles on Merseyrail services I don't think that would be a very popular move

And as 60008 has pointed out the Myllenniums are too big for the tunnels anyway so it would be a non-starter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)