Current time: 02/05/2024, 13:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Via points on destination screens
Via points on destination screens
It is ridiculous that four routes 75 76 78 and 79 can all be seen showing just HALEWOOD on the destination.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Arriva North West - Speke Depot
(06/09/2016 05:54)childwallblues Wrote:  It is ridiculous that four routes 75 76 78 and 79 can all be seen showing just HALEWOOD on the destination.

Is this in ALL CAPS?
I thought DDA regulations prohibited that now.
(06/09/2016 06:11)Valandil Wrote:  Is this in ALL CAPS?
I thought DDA regulations prohibited that now.

No it is "Halewood" - I think he used caps for emphasis.

Also, I don't really see the issue with this. Merseytravel is one of few transport executives which provides full timetables at every stop with a list of calling points listed with each route. It is very easy to work out which bus you need - coupled with apps, timetables and traveline, it really couldn't be any easier to find out where your bus is going.

The advantage of having "Halewood" is that it is big and visible from a distance, so partially sighted people can identify it from a distance. If the destination is smaller and the bottom is scrolling, everything can be very difficult to see as the bus approaches. Even the number can blend into the mess of orange light.
(06/09/2016 05:54)childwallblues Wrote:  It is ridiculous that four routes 75 76 78 and 79 can all be seen showing just HALEWOOD on the destination.

How people ever coped years ago I'll never know. Too much spoon feeding nowadays.

I disagree

All four routes pass through Okell Drive with only the 76 and 79 extending through to Halewood Shopping Centre - so I don't think it matters if it just says "Halewood" on the destination screens
(06/09/2016 16:29)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  I disagree

All four routes pass through Okell Drive with only the 76 and 79 extending through to Halewood Shopping Centre - so I don't think it matters if it just says "Halewood" on the destination screens

I disagree. Prior to deregulation, bus routes - and timetables - in the Liverpool area were very rarely amended, even slightly. Consequently, every bus user in the city knew the destination and route of every service operated.

The solution is simple: use a via blind on the display. A route that passes my stop is the 63 (Bootle-Aintree Hospital) and, because of its extremely circuitous route it, quite rightly, displays 'via Crosby'. Is there any reason why this practice can't be applied on all Arriva routes?
(06/09/2016 07:55)Enviro400 Wrote:  The advantage of having "Halewood" is that it is big and visible from a distance, so partially sighted people can identify it from a distance. If the destination is smaller and the bottom is scrolling, everything can be very difficult to see as the bus approaches. Even the number can blend into the mess of orange light.

This is going slightly off topic now but... Without wishing to sound heartless (both my wife and sister are partially sighted) this argument against scrolling displays is flawed. Most people look for the route number rather than the destination when a bus is approaching and the size of the route number is not affected by the size or type of the destination display.

Also, the use of scrolling and fast moving displays is universally accepted at railway stations, airports and even in hospitals so why not on buses?
(07/09/2016 13:03)Barney Wrote:  I disagree. Prior to deregulation, bus routes - and timetables - in the Liverpool area were very rarely amended, even slightly. Consequently, every bus user in the city knew the destination and route of every service operated.

The solution is simple: use a via blind on the display. A route that passes my stop is the 63 (Bootle-Aintree Hospital) and, because of its extremely circuitous route it, quite rightly, displays 'via Crosby'. Is there any reason why this practice can't be applied on all Arriva routes?

My argument in response to this is if you add a via point then the text has to be smaller and therefore as has already been said (and I agree) it is harder to read from a distance. A better solution to this is if via points need to be added then have the via points on an alternating screen. Bus Vannin use (or used) them and in my view they were much easier to read

An example is: "James Street 13" which alternates with "via Page Moss 13"

I don't really feel via points are necessary on a lot of routes - but I will admit there are some (such as the 10/10A) that do need them
RE: Via points on destination screens
While scrolling via points may be fine for people with good vision on an average day, during rain the scrolling can become incredibly blurry, even to somebody with 20/20 vision such as myself.

Also the earlier argument about most passengers seeing just the number is also flawed, because in this case via points are not needed at all if your logic is that passengers know where their bus is going. This was my initial argument - passengers know, or can very easily find out, the route of their bus.
RE: Via points on destination screens
I think there pointless. Locals know roughly where the bus thier catching goes and I've noticed that non regular bus users and tourists find them confusing.

First Manchester have moved away from scrolling via points and have just the destination and the main via point so for example the 409 is 'Rochdale via Oldham', and the 348 is 'Carrbrook via Stalybridge'. Long list of scrolling or alternating via points. U
It's clear and looks better in my opinion.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)