Current time: 19/04/2024, 21:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Express Coach Station in Liverpool to close
National Express Coach Station in Liverpool to close
Found out today that the National Express Coach Station in Liverpool (Norton Street) is to close on 16th January 2016, All Coaches will use the Megabus stop in Liverpool One, Cant see how this is going to work as Liverpool One is in a poor location for the direction most the Coach Services go (so this adding extra time to trips) and theres no where for Coaches to layover as Liverpool One's layover is packed at the best of times, Very poor move here by Nation Express

The land is going to be used for Student Homes as well

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: National Express Coach Station in Liverpool to close
(05/12/2015 23:16)T42 PVM Wrote:  Found out today that the National Express Coach Station in Liverpool (Norton Street) is to close on 16th January 2016, All Coaches will use the Megabus stop in Liverpool One, Cant see how this is going to work as Liverpool One is in a poor location for the direction most the Coach Services go (so this adding extra time to trips) and theres no where for Coaches to layover as Liverpool One's layover is packed at the best of times, Very poor move here by Nation Express

The land is going to be used for Student Homes as well

I agree - I think it's an extremely poor decision and I don't think it's been very well thought out either
Find all posts by this user
As an 'Woollyback', I didn't realise National Express had a coach station in Liverpool for absolutely years and only saw it completely by chance one day a year or two ago.
While there may be logistical issues with using Liverpool One, I think the advantage is being much more visible to the public who might then twig that "Oh yeah, I could use Nat Ex to make my next journey."
Very open, windy and with no shelter from the weather. Another problem will be that only one coach at a time will be able to load.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(06/12/2015 06:43)childwallblues Wrote:  Very open, windy and with no shelter from the weather. Another problem will be that only one coach at a time will be able to load.

Whilst the location is much more central, I too wonder how loadings will be managed at busy times. I have only ever used a Megabus service once from Liverpool One and that was at 6am one summer's morning. Even then the driver was keen to get loaded and out as quickly as possible as there were already a fair few service buses vying for space.

As for the design of the building, enough said. Obviously the architect was sitting in a warm office when he designed this wind tunnel. For years, passengers were forced to wait in the open on Brownlow Hill, Liverpool One is only marginally better.

As a matter of interest, how many daily departures are there on a normal day from the current Nat Ex station?
I expect the routes that use the M62 will follow the 6/7 routes from Edge Lane to the Adelphi Hotel, then down Hanover Street to Liverpool One, be trickier for routes that go though Birkenhead might have use the Kingsway[Wallasey] Tunnel then down Leeds Street-The Strand/Goree-Sefton Street to Liverpool One.

Poor decision though, Norton Street is a convenient location for National Express routes, easier access to the Motorways, Tunnels & A59 thasn Liverpooll One

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
I think its just that they spent so much building liverpool one bus station and not as many people use it compared to queen square this may be merseytravels chance to get more patronage into the bus station to justify its costs seen as though the plan for trams fell through and merseytravel sell the tickets.
I thought it was odd as merseytravel have done the drivers canteens up as it looks like stagecoach have took over the larger of the 2 rest rooms into there own.
The layover space in the middle between stops 1-5 is used for services 10/10A because there isn't enough room in the bus layover area.

The 10/10A were moved out of Mann Island apparently because residents didn't like so many buses being there and so the spaces in the middle at Liverpool ONE were put in for these to use.

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
Another "Peanut Brain" idea will just add more traffic to the centre of town,although
Norton street was not ideal it was near Lime st station,will be a major problem with coaches queing at one stop, but the powers that be love this they must have got their
inspiration looking at Birkendread B.S. Coach companies will be driven away Angry

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
Every stand has got use in Liverpool One anyway, adding onto that some Coaches are due of at the same time so you need more than 1 stop, really is a joke

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)