Current time: 04/05/2024, 08:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(07/03/2016 18:25)mbonwick Wrote:  17452/484/499/500/504 have all been single doored and repainted into corporate swoops AFAIK.

I agree with that. I also have a note that 497 is in the corporate livery, but still double door, and based at Hyde Road, unless anyone can update me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(08/03/2016 05:47)Mayneway Wrote:  So it's a permanent service subsidised by the university.
I seem to remember reading when the 141 first started that the plan was not to convert the Tridents to single door as they wouldn't be staying long term in Manchester as the subsidy the university was/is paying was possibly for a limited time but obviously plans change in regards to the buses and it's nice to see them being painted and retained.

I am not sure it is permanent, as was said above the expectation was that students would find accomodation closer to Birley, and I suspect that will still be the case over time, meaning that the service will then be discontinued. Looking at some of the loadings in the middle of the day MMU must be paying a significant subsidy, as the buses are almost empty.

I have also seen occasional single door magics on the route.
(08/03/2016 07:44)Owl Wrote:  I agree with that. I also have a note that 497 is in the corporate livery, but still double door, and based at Hyde Road, unless anyone can update me.

Your correct 17497 was out on the 168/169 on Friday in the snow still retaining it's middle door.

I'm thinking priority has been to get the former magic examples done and into corpy livery to fill the gaps left by the Enviro's becoming magics.

Your right about 17452 at AZ, it's out on 236's this morning. The Tridents seem to be working on duties normally worked by Enviro200's so I wonder whether AZ has possibly lost a coupe more.
From personal experience the 141 operates (at present) permanently until as and when it is required. In theory the service SHOULD be running next term as people in their fourth year (Who would have started on the Didsbury Campus/Halls) will still be living in Student Houses in the South of Manchester (for cheaper rent), However whether it runs the term after is questionable as more students are living closer to campus than ever before such as around Upper Brook Street and Queens Park, but people who live in Fallowfield/Didsbury/Withington may also have placements at the Christie Hospital and thus are required to live 'locally'. Also Students that live between Platt Fields and Birley can opt to use the 53 service.

The thing about the 141 as well is that it doesn't just serve students travelling to and from University, it operates to get Health students to/from Manchester Royal Infirmary and Christie Hospital for placements. This includes the students that are paying for the highest rentable accommodation at Birley Fields, who wouldn't need to get the 141 to University being a two minute walk away, but would use the service Southbound.

Personally I'm not exactly sure how the service is subsidised/supported, whether that be the whole route or the section between Booth Street and Birley Campus (Similar to how UoM pay for unlisted duplicate 142's between their Union and Withington in one direction only). But stagecoach does however, seem to be the preferred operator to MMU however as you can purchase Stagecoach Bus passes with the University bursary scheme, but you cannot do so with First or System One.
Confirmation from the TfGM Committee meeting documents that the 32 will be curtailed to run between Wigan and Roe Green Park & Ride from April and re-routed via Belle Green replacing service 634.

Also mentions that Stagecoach intend to run some evening journeys commercially on service 658 following the loss of contracted evening journeys to Arriva.

http://www.transportforgreatermanchester...etwork.pdf
21239 on the 600 not seen one of these on here for a while.
(09/03/2016 19:16)SF07 Wrote:  Confirmation from the TfGM Committee meeting documents that the 32 will be curtailed to run between Wigan and Roe Green Park & Ride from April and re-routed via Belle Green replacing service 634.

Also mentions that Stagecoach intend to run some evening journeys commercially on service 658 following the loss of contracted evening journeys to Arriva.

http://www.transportforgreatermanchester...etwork.pdf

Cutting the 32 back is a right joke, there is a good number of people that travel into Manchester and will now have to change Buses

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The 32 has ran for years - used to be a joined up service with the then numbered 39 (Manchester - Liverpool) in pre dereg days with common section of route between Manchester and Tyldesley.
Not sure if Middleton Depot are short of minibuses at the moment but a friend of mine has just seen one of Middletons MANs deputising for a minibus on 406 Oldham-Mills Hill service, first time I've known a full sized single decker to be used on the route
(09/03/2016 19:40)jcksmnr Wrote:  21239 on the 600 not seen one of these on here for a while.

There's normally at least one B7 one there most days.
Speaking of B7s 21237 is still off the road minus it's engine and gearbox, going to be at least another month till it's back on the road.

User(s) browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)