Current time: 04/05/2024, 23:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
On Thursday there was 5 D/D on there, on Friday there was none as far as I saw,I suppose it depends on what's available
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The reason deckers are placed on the 418/419 is due to the busyness of the route. During school times and even mid-day the service gets busy. Spital and Brombourgh are both tight areas in the way of parked cars especially on Palatine Road (Brombourgh) that is why DLPs and VLWs are used as they are short wheel based.

418/9 drivers are in a contract were they are paid less and only work them routes along with the 175 for eighteen months. They are not type trained on Myllenniums meaning they can't be used on the 418/9. And unlike everything else their over hang is greater. Not good for a tight area.

The Myllenniums are mainly back on the 410 as they have a greater cappacity.

Daniel Christopher.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
If you think its tight for the 418/9 just wait till the evening time and try the bigger and better slalom course for the 118/119.
(08/02/2016 08:37)2829 Wrote:  The reason deckers are placed on the 418/419 is due to the busyness of the route. During school times and even mid-day the service gets busy. Spital and Brombourgh are both tight areas in the way of parked cars especially on Palatine Road (Brombourgh) that is why DLPs and VLWs are used as they are short wheel based.

418/9 drivers are in a contract were they are paid less and only work them routes along with the 175 for eighteen months. They are not type trained on Myllenniums meaning they can't be used on the 418/9. And unlike everything else their over hang is greater. Not good for a tight area.

The Myllenniums are mainly back on the 410 as they have a greater cappacity.

Never realised 418/419 drivers are paid less. Is this the same for other routes out of Laird Street where drivers are on different pay scales?
Routes 118, 119, 218, 418 and 419 are affected.

Bedford Drive will be closed, between Mount Road and Bebington Road, fromn Monday 15 February 2016 for approximately 5 days.

Bus diversions are as follows:
Route 118 will travel as normal from New Brighton to Storeton Road, then via Mount Road, Bebington Road, Bedford Avenue, then as normal route to Mill Park (omitting Bedford Drive). This service will return via the reverse of this route.

Route 119 will travel as normal from New Brighton to Storeton Road, then via Mount Road, Bebington Road, Bedford Avenue, then as normal route to Mill Park (omitting Bedford Drive). This service will return via the reverse of this route.

Route 218 will travel as normal from Woodside to Storeton Road, then via Mount Road, Bebington Road, Bedford Avenue, then as normal route to Mill Park (omitting Bedford Drive). This service will return via the reverse of this route.

Route 418 will travel as normal from Woodside to Storeton Road, then via Mount Road, Bebington Road, Bedford Avenue, then as normal route to Mill Park (omitting Bedford Drive). This service will return via the reverse of this route.

Route 419 will travel as normal from Woodside to Storeton Road, then via Mount Road, Bebington Road, Bedford Avenue, then as normal route to Mill Park (omitting Bedford Drive). This service will return via the reverse of this route.

I do wonder whether some drivers travelling from Mill Park to Woodside take the easy route round from Bebington Road into Mount Road via a full circuit of the roundabout as there is usually cars very close to the exit off the roundabout making it awkward. The turn will have been risk assessed I should hope by Laird Street union reps.
(09/02/2016 16:17)ls1911 Wrote:  Never realised 418/419 drivers are paid less. Is this the same for other routes out of Laird Street where drivers are on different pay scales?

Only the 118/9/218/9/418/9 and 175. It's a low cost unit which are usually new starters.

I am no longer active on this forum.
So what your trying to say is that the 418/419 would probably be very close to break even if they paid the drivers the going rate , but probably gives a good profit because the drivers are on lower rates.

Can see the logic for the 175 as it being a Merseytravel contract and costs should be kept to an absolute minimum. To say i was surprised when Arriva won that work (175) was an understatement , that sort of work had always been for independents previously.
(11/02/2016 20:30)wirralbus Wrote:  So what your trying to say is that the 418/419 would probably be very close to break even if they paid the drivers the going rate , but probably gives a good profit because the drivers are on lower rates.

Can see the logic for the 175 as it being a Merseytravel contract and costs should be kept to an absolute minimum. To say i was surprised when Arriva won that work (175) was an understatement , that sort of work had always been for independents previously.

I do wonder why Arriva went for the 175. If the Solo in use on that route breaks down it must be a right pain to get the other Solo off the 495 or whatever route it is on and then get it out to Heswall. It must also not be worth a lot to Arriva. That said, what are the loadings like?
I have a feeling Arriva went for a few tenders at the same time but only won that one

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Not sure if it has been reported, but the Gold Investor in People Pulsar appears to be working out of Birkenhead. It was on the 2 today.

Apologies if it has been reported; I'm not aware of the fleet number so won't know whether it's been logged under that.

User(s) browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)