Current time: 06/05/2024, 22:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
For some reason fare charts are not in use now with most companies as arriva have emergency tickets which are at a set price which is normally the minimum fare that would be on the machine so at arriva a fare chart isnt needed not sure about other companies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(14/12/2015 16:33)motormayhem1 Wrote:  For some reason fare charts are not in use now with most companies as arriva have emergency tickets which are at a set price which is normally the minimum fare that would be on the machine so at arriva a fare chart isnt needed not sure about other companies

I know whenever anyone queries a fare on Stagecoach's twitter page they often respond with a link for the full set of Manchester fare charts but the link i saved to my phone no longer works.
I think fare charts should still be issued to drivers as like you say they come in handy for fare queries and would stop any arguments.
The problem is when one driver charges say £2.20 when the fare is £2.40 due to the driver not knowing certain areas etc so the next time the passenger gets on they ask for £2.20 but the driver says its £2.40 then it causes arguments as ive had it a lot but i just dont argue as i just give what they ask for now.
(14/12/2015 19:44)motormayhem1 Wrote:  I think fare charts should still be issued to drivers as like you say they come in handy for fare queries and would stop any arguments.
The problem is when one driver charges say £2.20 when the fare is £2.40 due to the driver not knowing certain areas etc so the next time the passenger gets on they ask for £2.20 but the driver says its £2.40 then it causes arguments as ive had it a lot but i just dont argue as i just give what they ask for now.

I agree completly.
The situation today was odd in that the passenger made the point that he's always charged 1.60 yet this driver wanted to charge £1.80. The passenger offered to pay the extra 20p but the driver said pay £1.60 this time but next time you know to pay £1.80 even if whoever's driving tries to charge you less??? Lol
Then for the short journey (about 6 stops) the driver insisting on going on about how he's sick of passengers calling him a robber and questioning his ability etc until the passenger and myself were getting off. The line about 'paying the incorrect fare is a criminal offence you know and you can be fined' upset the passenger and he simply explained to the driver that he uses the bus daily from the same stop and is always charged £1.60.

It was a complete over exaggeration by the driver over 20p when producing a paper fare chart to prove hos point would have been better - incidentally the fare is £1.60 unless it's secretly gone up in the last few days lol.
(14/12/2015 20:53)Dentonian Wrote:  AFAIK, It is still a legal requirement to make all fares available to passengers, although (surprising) very few passengers query fares. In return, the correct procedure for intending passengers is NOT to ask for a fare, but to State their Destination. As you will know Stagecoach tickets not only show the fare, but the boarding and alighting points, or at least the nearest fare stages.
You are right, the driver was not only unproffessional in his attitude to the passengers concerned, but also to you.

I think he had stated the stop he wanted to get off at rather than the fare price, but seemed to query the response from the driver simply claiming that on 3 occasions last week he was only charged £1.60 for the same journey.
What I don't get is why the driver let him on for £1.60 if that wasn't the correct fare then went on and on about fare evasion and travelling with the wrong ticket etc.

Your right regarding tickets having the boarding and alighting points but it was sometimes the case that drivers wouldn't move the fare stage on on the ticket machine so passengers would pay slightly more for a journey because the ticket machine was still several stops behind where the bus actually was - is this automatic now or do the drivers still have to manually move fares on?

I was on a 201 (funily enough Dentionan) when a group of women alighting complained that they had been overcharged, claiming they had boarded at Godley when thier tickets stated Hattersley so the driver simply took thier tickets off them and gave them thier fares back - that was last summer though!
(14/12/2015 20:53)Dentonian Wrote:  AFAIK, It is still a legal requirement to make all fares available to passengers, although (surprising) very few passengers query fares. In return, the correct procedure for intending passengers is NOT to ask for a fare, but to State their Destination. As you will know Stagecoach tickets not only show the fare, but the boarding and alighting points, or at least the nearest fare stages.
You are right, the driver was not only unproffessional in his attitude to the passengers concerned, but also to you.

Arriva has the laminated time charts. Im not sure on Stagecoach for time charts but if it's easier for the customer to understand especially special needs customers then it should be on the bus with the time charts.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(14/12/2015 22:13)Dentonian Wrote:  I haven't got current fare tables, but do have some for Hyde Road corridor and other Denton services from 2013. From those, I must admit I am surprised that there is a £1.60 fare, with £1.80 being more likely to be a regular fare. Obviously, I don't know if there is a specific variation on 168/9, or indeed if I'm being too pedantic about your reference to "6 stops", but TBH I would expect the majority of journeys covering 6 stops hereabouts to be £2.20, not £1.80.

The last time I paid a single fare from Downing Street (clock shop to Ashton) not that long ago it was £1.40 I will admit there has been a fare rise since but 40p seems rather excessive. Incidentally this was the bus stop after!

But it's not the fare that I'm raising the issue about it's more the drivers attitude. And the fact he was unwilling to produce a fare table to prove he was correct. If it was £1.80 why didn't he just take the money and do his job lol
Stagecoach Manchester did have a fare table on the old website but it took some looking to find it, I'm not sure where is now though.
You can find out fares between points on the new Stagecoach website. Sadly, cannot find the old PDF list of all fares on all routes.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/regionalti...andreturns
Stagecoach are posting an advert in Friday's Manchester Evening News to apologise about the unreliability of services in Manchester over the last few months, due to roadworks in the city centre. MD Christopher Bowles has also suggested that if things don't improve, then they may re-route services or reduce frequencies to improve reliability.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/n...n-10618951

User(s) browsing this thread: 15 Guest(s)