Current time: 26/06/2024, 13:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
(31/10/2015 14:56)wirralbus Wrote:  I think the difference with the class 319's is that they are not brand new units , but a design that has previously been used elsewhere did they have this problem with there previous owners.

With Thameslink they mostly run around in pairs, so you can effectively assist yourself in case of a failure, whereas up here they run mostly on their own. Theoretically an EMU should be more reliable than a DMU, less moving parts for instance.

In the short time they have been looking after them, the staff at Allerton have worked wonders with the reliability of the 156's, no doubt they will do the same with the 319's.

SD.
Find all posts by this user
Interesting article about the problems with the footbridge at Rainhill during electrification and the problems still ongoing.

Footbridge Fiasco

http://nw-sparks.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/...iasco.html

Credit: North West Sparks News Blog.
(04/11/2015 18:06)Sprinterdriver Wrote:  With Thameslink they mostly run around in pairs, so you can effectively assist yourself in case of a failure, whereas up here they run mostly on their own. Theoretically an EMU should be more reliable than a DMU, less moving parts for instance.

In the short time they have been looking after them, the staff at Allerton have worked wonders with the reliability of the 156's, no doubt they will do the same with the 319's.

SD.

Most definitely in the case of the 156 fleet! NH left them in an awful condition. I still hear of daily cancellations for 319's. For such a small fleet I still think it is something to do with the units themselves. LM have had to release an official apology to passengers because of the 319's letting themselves down.
I really do think that both Northern and London Midland have been given the rough end of the stick , lets just hope the new Thameslink sets work better than these 319's.
(05/11/2015 09:32)wirralbus Wrote:  I really do think that both Northern and London Midland have been given the rough end of the stick , lets just hope the new Thameslink sets work better than these 319's.

Govia chose to give LM the rough end of the stick.

Abellio Scotrail signed a deal with a ROSCO for some of the off-lease Great Northern 321s (off-lease because the franchise ended) but for consistency Govia agreed with the ROSCOs that the LM 321s would be returned early so Great Northern could keep all their 321s.
(04/11/2015 18:06)Sprinterdriver Wrote:  In the short time they have been looking after them, the staff at Allerton have worked wonders with the reliability of the 156's, no doubt they will do the same with the 319's.

Apparently Northern employed an ex-FCC fitter to work at Allerton but Porterbrook changed the traction equipment when they removed the 3rd rail equipment so even he's not been able to find immediate solutions to problems.
(05/11/2015 09:32)wirralbus Wrote:  I really do think that both Northern and London Midland have been given the rough end of the stick , lets just hope the new Thameslink sets work better than these 319's.

Personally I have heard generally very positive comments about the TSGN operated Class 319s. Granted the 319s have had their issues - but they offer faster journey times and they also have over twice the capacity of a 142 and other two car DMUs currently operated by Northern Rail in the North West. Based on that would you rather have the two car DMU or the four car EMU? As a passenger who uses the Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Piccadilly route fairly regularly I know what I and many other passengers of that and other 319-operated routes would prefer

The 319s in my opinion are very good units and I think they could go on for at least another 10-15 years very easily
They are brilliant at making up time and arriving early which comes to the question as to when will Northern produce a timetable more suited to their performance. Yesterday the 1530 Preston - Liverpool South Parkway was 3 early at Wigan and 5 early at St Helens Central.
(05/11/2015 18:47)St Helens Rider Wrote:  They are brilliant at making up time and arriving early which comes to the question as to when will Northern produce a timetable more suited to their performance. Yesterday the 1530 Preston - Liverpool South Parkway was 3 early at Wigan and 5 early at St Helens Central.

Its probably waiting for the recast of the TPX timetable in the near future .

The service has to fit in around Northern's Airport Flyer and TPX service to Newcastle and then has to fit into the increasingly congested WCML two track section north of Wigan.
(06/11/2015 07:04)wirralbus Wrote:  Its probably waiting for the recast of the TPX timetable in the near future .

The service has to fit in around Northern's Airport Flyer and TPX service to Newcastle and then has to fit into the increasingly congested WCML two track section north of Wigan.
They have had no problem fitting in TPEs diverted BPN-MIA services through WGN during the Farnworth Tunnel rebuild.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)