Current time: 25/04/2024, 17:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(09/09/2015 20:46)Dentonian Wrote:  Actually, I was on a Stagecoach Manchester 201 a week or so ago, with a lead driver shadowing a new driver. An added benefit being that the bus was running 10 minutes late, so when the one behind caught up, the lead driver instructed the newbie to go past a stop, having signalled to the driver behind to pick up the waiting passengers.

I've also seen First Manchester lead drivers on the 100 in the past shadowing new drivers and giving instructions as to what stands at the various bus stations they are to stop at etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(09/09/2015 21:10)Lynx Wrote:  I've also seen First Manchester lead drivers on the 100 in the past shadowing new drivers and giving instructions as to what stands at the various bus stations they are to stop at etc.

I've been on the morning peak time 76's and a couple of times there's been a new driver being instructed by a lead driver, I don't think the drivers knew the route particularly well, I've seen one or two on First as well I'm sure.
I think having lead drivers puts a new driver at ease and gives them a little bit more sense of security knowing they have someone by there side who knows the routes inside out and can advise them as they go along and maybe stuff like this would reduce rapidly but i do feel sorry for anyone who goes through this type of incident as there heads must be all over the place with shock as hope all makes a speedy recovery.
It's normal policy at Stagecoach for an experienced driver to go out with a newly trained driver for the first 7 days, they call it 'buddying'.

The statement from First states the driver started in June. If she had spent 6/8 weeks training then shes hardly a new starter, perhaps it's possible it was her first time on the 17.
I agree, the 'buddying' system is an excellent idea, when I used to get on the 821 school bus the First drivers on the morning bus would sometimes need to use a photocopied map with the route drawn on in felt tip whilst driving a full laden Volvo Olympian, not a good combination. I was a prefect so I was up at the front of the bus sometimes I told the driver which way to go as a courtesy, the buddying system or even a regular driver would have made life easier for them then I reckon.

On the home journey Stotts always sent a one of two or three regular drivers though.
On our school bus years ago we'd have the same driver from Arriva Skem for a couple of months and then he'd buddy the new driver and so on. And when Halton got the contract he had a photocopy but made a wrong turn and I helped him get back on route on that occasion.
on video I have seen the driver was picking up money and then laughing I know shock does different things to people but picking up money is not a priority I would not have thought
(11/09/2015 18:22)dave4jackie Wrote:  on video I have seen the driver was picking up money and then laughing I know shock does different things to people but picking up money is not a priority I would not have thought

Yes I viewed the same video. She was picking up loose change from inside the cab while passengers were staggering off the bus. Surely her priority should have been ensuring every one of her passengers were off the bus and ok and not her float!
The poor girl wouldn't of had much confidence to begin with as she was a fairly new driver. So imagine what she must of been feeling like after taking a roof off. All sorts must of been running through her head. Probably thinking shes going to loose her job. I know when i caught a mirror and put it through the door, that alls i wanted to do was run away and hide up a tree, and i only had a few passengers on. It wouldn't surprise me if there was people there having a go at her. Even thought its her role to make sure everyone is off and OK, realisticly, if shes been shouted at and what not, then she is going to take a step back isnt she. Support the girl, don't give her stick. Amd also, look at things from a realistic point of view.
(12/09/2015 00:45)PO59 MXJ Wrote:  The poor girl wouldn't of had much confidence to begin with as she was a fairly new driver. So imagine what she must of been feeling like after taking a roof off. All sorts must of been running through her head. Probably thinking shes going to loose her job. I know when i caught a mirror and put it through the door, that alls i wanted to do was run away and hide up a tree, and i only had a few passengers on. It wouldn't surprise me if there was people there having a go at her. Even thought its her role to make sure everyone is off and OK, realisticly, if shes been shouted at and what not, then she is going to take a step back isnt she. Support the girl, don't give her stick. Amd also, look at things from a realistic point of view.

I'm not giving her stick and your right shock does do funny things and no training can prepare somebody to act in a certain way during any kind of collosion, but your looking at it from a drivers point of view which is fair enough, but look at it from the passengers side, every time I and many many others board a bus we entrust our lives to the person driving the bus, with the hope that he or she will get us to our destination safely and obviously in this case it didn't happen. Yes it's an accident and they happen but it does call into question Firsts training policy. It's all very well saying give her a break but potentially lives could have been lost.

User(s) browsing this thread: 25 Guest(s)