Current time: 28/06/2024, 21:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Queen Square Bus Station
RE: Queen Square Bus Station
The thing is not everything can fit in Liverpool One Bus Station that wants to , its the same for Queen Square , there is just too many buses wanting to use Liverpool's bus stations .

Some of the excessive amounts where pared down when numerous routes went over to QBP which reduced the amount of vehicles on the road , but not enough.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(15/02/2015 13:18)Valandil Wrote:  One of the main reasons people from Warrington use Arriva's 7 is to go to Liverpool One, i.e. under present arrangements get the bus to Queen Square and then walk.
It would be of great use and people might travel more often if the route continued to Liverpool One (and there were a more direct route between Huyton and the city centre).
No doubt travellers on Halton's 61 and other routes which leave the city also come to visit Liverpool for the same reason.

Any extension of routes to Liverpool ONE would mean increase in PVR meanig more costs, and putting more buses in the city centre.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
I had heard that both Liverpool One Bus Station and Queen Square where both running at full capacity and that for new services to run into there at certain times of the day an equal amount had to be removed from them bus stations.

It was little wonder that Mann Island was used , but Mann Island really only consisted of a few bus stops and a turning circle .
(15/02/2015 03:30)Enviro400 Wrote:  What I meant was to maintain a single inbound lane, but move the lane to where the lay-by is now, move the lay-by into the large area of pavement and then move the central barrier upto the edge of the new inbound lane. That then frees up the space to create 2 outbound lanes facing St George's Hall; the London Road services can use the left lane and Lime Street services can take the right lane- there wouldn't be a bottleneck per se, as the capacity of the section of road between the central crossing and the St Georges Hall traffic lights effectively increases by over 50% owing to extra space to stop at stands, or wait for the lights to change; you could therefore in theory accomodate 4 loading buses and then 10-12 other buses in the traffic queue in this area of the bus station alone.

Moving the lay-by into the pavement would allow space to extend it to the central crossing, so that allows 1 extra vehicle to alight passengers, whilst maintaining the same sized road as before. As far as I'm aware, buses alighting passengers here is not a major issue?

I apologise - I misread your post

(15/02/2015 13:18)Valandil Wrote:  One of the main reasons people from Warrington use Arriva's 7 is to go to Liverpool One, i.e. under present arrangements get the bus to Queen Square and then walk.
It would be of great use and people might travel more often if the route continued to Liverpool One (and there were a more direct route between Huyton and the city centre).
No doubt travellers on Halton's 61 and other routes which leave the city also come to visit Liverpool for the same reason.

I've noticed that with a lot of services coming into Queen Square (that go beyond Queen Square closer to or terminating at Liverpool ONE) that are empty or full often unload the vast majority or all of their passengers at Queen Square. I have rarely seen a bus that goes through Queen Square to Liverpool ONE carry more than ten passengers leaving Queen Square

Whilst extending the 7 to Liverpool ONE would be a good idea I don't think the service carries the number of passengers that would justify the extra costs this would probably incur. It is likely as has been mentioned by Childwallblues that a PVR increase would be required with all the extra time added by running to Liverpool ONE and then returning to Queen Square
(15/02/2015 19:10)SL64 JDZ (4593) Wrote:  I apologise - I misread your post

I've noticed that with a lot of services coming into Queen Square (that go beyond Queen Square closer to or terminating at Liverpool ONE) that are empty or full often unload the vast majority or all of their passengers at Queen Square. I have rarely seen a bus that goes through Queen Square to Liverpool ONE carry more than ten passengers leaving Queen Square

That is a good point. The problem is that the stop outside The Royal Court is for alighting only as is the one in Whitechapel. I am sure that a lot of people would love the opportunity to board a bus at these two stops to get to Water Street or Liverpool ONE but it is forbidden. When the Citylink service is withdrawn in April, the only way to get from Queen Square to the Pier Head area will be to walk or get a taxi. This does not make any sense to me nor, I suspect, a lot of other people.
(15/02/2015 17:42)wirralbus Wrote:  I had heard that both Liverpool One Bus Station and Queen Square where both running at full capacity and that for new services to run into there at certain times of the day an equal amount had to be removed from them bus stations.

Almost...
Liverpool One does have the space for stopping buses, However it's the layover space that is limited. All space for buses to parked has been paid for, It's about 50% arriva 40% Stagecoach, 10%Merseytravel Contracts. Similar to the marked bays at Bootle Bus Stn, and the old Paradise Street
(15/02/2015 17:42)wirralbus Wrote:  I had heard that both Liverpool One Bus Station and Queen Square where both running at full capacity and that for new services to run into there at certain times of the day an equal amount had to be removed from them bus stations.

It was little wonder that Mann Island was used , but Mann Island really only consisted of a few bus stops and a turning circle .

If Liverpool ONE is so crowded, how come the 10A (daytime every 6 mins, Eves/Suns every 10/15 mins) have been extended to it. I don't think any intensive service has been moved from there in order to accommodate this.
(15/02/2015 19:32)Barney Wrote:  The problem is that the stop outside The Royal Court is for alighting only as is the one in Whitechapel. I am sure that a lot of people would love the opportunity to board a bus at these two stops to get to Water Street or Liverpool ONE but it is forbidden. When the Citylink service is withdrawn in April, the only way to get from Queen Square to the Pier Head area will be to walk or get a taxi. This does not make any sense to me nor, I suspect, a lot of other people.
Just clarifying that you can board buses at that stop. The flag says "Alighting and City Centre Only" and there's information on the board with details of buses going further into town. I've even seen the inspectors there actually putting people onto buses, which is good as I've witnessed buses driving-off despite people trying to flag them down. I know that it's wrong but, in reality, who blames them? It might not be the right thing to do but they've probably just spent many minutes trying to get into Queen Square, are parked in an awkward position whilst holding other buses up and are late as a result of it all. One bus can hold-up that whole lane and even the surrounding roads. Definitely not an ideal boarding place.

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(15/02/2015 19:32)Barney Wrote:  That is a good point. The problem is that the stop outside The Royal Court is for alighting only as is the one in Whitechapel. I am sure that a lot of people would love the opportunity to board a bus at these two stops to get to Water Street or Liverpool ONE but it is forbidden. When the Citylink service is withdrawn in April, the only way to get from Queen Square to the Pier Head area will be to walk or get a taxi. This does not make any sense to me nor, I suspect, a lot of other people.

Still got A good few options to get to the Pier Head -
Stagecoach/Arriva 14s every 4 minutes
18 every 6 minutes
Halton 61 every 20 minutes
78 every 30 minutes.
plenty of choice there!
By having the 6/7 extending to Liverpool One, it could operate directly down Hanover Street, missing out Queen Square. This shouldn't result in and additional PVR.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)