Current time: 26/04/2024, 09:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Optare Metrodecker unveiled
RE: Optare Metrodecker unveiled
I actually think it looks quite good! Though I would have preferred the Rapta integral design they had plans for within 2008. The New Decker for Optare is basically a Tempo Sr I think , much as I prefer the old Tempo for me this new decker looks nicer than the Gem III an Enviro400

Been hating Urban 90's since 2001Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(23/05/2014 20:44)Neoplan N4009 Wrote:  I actually think it looks quite good! Though I would have preferred the Rapta integral design they had plans for within 2008. The New Decker for Optare is basically a Tempo Sr I think , much as I prefer the old Tempo for me this new decker looks nicer than the Gem III an Enviro400

Yes, it does look a bit like a Tempo SR double-decker. We are entering a revolutionary phase for double-deckers, with the Wrightbus Gemini 3 body and StreetDeck to follow, the new Enviro400 and now the MetroDecker. Meanwhile the MCV double-deck body seems to have fallen by the wayside.
The headline from an operator's perspective is that they've somehow got the unladen weight below 10t, which is significantly below what Wright and ADL are offering. That's big ticket and combined with a Merc engine will give a definite advantage in terms of fuel consumption.

I still have no idea who is going to buy it in big numbers, though.
(25/05/2014 17:53)126th street Wrote:  The headline from an operator's perspective is that they've somehow got the unladen weight below 10t, which is significantly below what Wright and ADL are offering. That's big ticket and combined with a Merc engine will give a definite advantage in terms of fuel consumption.

I still have no idea who is going to buy it in big numbers, though.

I am hoping that London United might, as they have often had Optare single-deckers. Also if wellglade ever need new double-deckers (such as to replace 20-year old Olympians with TM Travel in Sheffield?) maybe they will for the same reason.

Also some Municipals like Rossendale and Reading may experiment with them.
(25/05/2014 18:49)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I am hoping that London United might, as they have often had Optare single-deckers. Also if wellglade ever need new double-deckers (such as to replace 20-year old Olympians with TM Travel in Sheffield?) maybe they will for the same reason.

Also some Municipals like Rossendale and Reading may experiment with them.

Reading Buses seem to be 100% ADL At the moment,Rossendale & TM Travel getting New Deckers,that will be the day!. The only company that i can think of could be GNE,They will proberbly be looking for a new decker of choice soon as the Gemnini 2/B9TL Has stopped plus theyve already got a large fleet of Merc Engined buses
(24/05/2014 23:01)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Yes, it does look a bit like a Tempo SR double-decker. We are entering a revolutionary phase for double-deckers, with the Wrightbus Gemini 3 body and StreetDeck to follow, the new Enviro400 and now the MetroDecker. Meanwhile the MCV double-deck body seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Definitely there does seen a fair variety around! However I do question how small engines will cope in 9/10 ton buses to be honest. But I guess it's a wait an see game really, Mercedes & Scania still seem to be offering a good sized engine which is a positive, sure Optare will get their noses in with the metrodecker hopefully

Been hating Urban 90's since 2001Dodgy
Optare are yet to get a single order for the Metrodeck according to Route-One.
That's not good, the unveiling was quite a few months ago, so maybe the powers that be from the bus companies don't think it is any good.
I feel discouraged by the lack of orders for MetroDeckers so far. Given that East Yorkshire is not owned by a major group, and have Volvo B9TL-Enviro400s, probably uniquely outside Dublin Bus, I wonder whether they are more likely than any other operator to order some? Otherwise, could Wellglade order some, or are they keeping to single-deck orders forever?
Are Wellglade the only operator to take Tempo SRs as well, can't think of anywhere else with these. Those themselves was only one order as well so Optare aren't really favoured in these two markets it seems.

User(s) browsing this thread: