Current time: 23/04/2024, 22:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
How is First performing on the 41/42 services? I am seeing some busy buses and some empty ones as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(12/10/2014 16:02)Polo Mint Wrote:  How is First performing on the 41/42 services? I am seeing some busy buses and some empty ones as well.

There does seem to be a fair few empty buses with a handful of passengers on others, where as Magic buses always seem to be full. I think the fact they are still offering the £1 fares suggests thier still trying to tempt passengers away from Stagecoach.
Why have First not been able to lure enough passengers by now?

They have cheap fares, brand new vehicles and a decent frequency.
I presume people are still just catching Stagecoach because either, that they either don't want to change because they are used to them, or they have membership/season saver tickets.
(12/10/2014 16:02)Polo Mint Wrote:  How is First performing on the 41/42 services? I am seeing some busy buses and some empty ones as well.

There are quite a lot of empty First buses at the Sale end of the 41 particulary around tea time. Usually their destination shows - Sorry not in service! The timetable from Sale is a waste of time (Glad Stagecoach operate a decent service). Complain to First and what do you get - an acknowledgement and then nothing.
(12/10/2014 14:29)Mayneway Wrote:  No surprise there really.
Have stagecoach extended thier £1 offer yet?? If not I'm presuming they will this coming week Smile

Stagecoach's £1 offer on the 142/143 continues along Wilmslow, as does the £1 offer between Swinton Civic Centre, Salford Shopping Centre and Manchester on the 32, 38, 50 and X34 plus the £10 Megarider ticket on the 38. All these promotions have been extended until 31 October, but probably will continue beyond that date.
As for Stagecoach moving into other boroughs; I have heard about 2 more routes;
Jumping more into 36/38 area
And extending 330 to Oldham via 409 route
Quote:c. Stagecoach seem to be about to wipe one borough they operate in off their network.....and no, it isn't Wigan.

and which one might this be?
(12/10/2014 22:03)John I Wrote:  There are quite a lot of empty First buses at the Sale end of the 41 particulary around tea time. Usually their destination shows - Sorry not in service! The timetable from Sale is a waste of time (Glad Stagecoach operate a decent service). Complain to First and what do you get - an acknowledgement and then nothing.

I do agree with a lot of what your saying. First and Stagecoach are both similar sized national operators but First seem very faceless compared to Stagecoach - you only have to compare thier twitter pages to see who has a better response to complaints and queries.
Don't get me wrong First have come along way in the last years but reputation sticks. They took over a failing business (Finglands) and went for the easy option of throwing brand new vehicles on to ex Finglands routes and the age old dropping fares and increasing frequencies but it's actually passengers habits they need to change.

Management may have changed but some things don't. Like the running out of service if more than 5 minutes late. Driver attitude is also poor towards passengers probably due to low moral, this is backed by the fact so many long term drivers are defecting to Stagecoach - probably because they see a long term future with them.

I think the fact is Stagecoach dominate the Wilmslow road corridor and also the student market in Manchester, they have years on First down there, they are good at what they do so why should students switch. I personally think that the comments made by EYMS management blaiming UK North for the demise of Finglands was exaggerated slightly. Yes they caused some damage but I think it's hard for any operator large or small to compete with Stagecoach at that level.
(13/10/2014 09:03)Dentonian Wrote:  You can check the website for yourself, but it shows that Uniriders can be used in various parts of Manchester, Trafford (I think), Stockport, Middleton/Moston, Oldham and Wigan.

Presumably tameside too?

User(s) browsing this thread: 14 Guest(s)