Current time: 05/05/2024, 22:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(08/10/2014 22:35)John I Wrote:  E400H - 12192 operating in Sale @16;30 on X5 towards Stockport.
Are these vehicles restricted to 40 mph? If so not ideal for use on motorway.

I think I was told about the 40 mph limit several months ago by fellow enthusiasts on this forum.

But I think they do go faster in certain circumstances. I think the most likely is when they are being delivered to their various Stagecoach companies from where the buses are made. Those delivery journeys would mean they would be on the motorways a fair bit. After all the Sharston to Stockport section of the M60 is relatively short so I would assume they are fine for the X5 route.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(09/10/2014 09:17)YSV-205 Wrote:  I think I was told about the 40 mph limit several months ago by fellow enthusiasts on this forum.

But I think they do go faster in certain circumstances. I think the most likely is when they are being delivered to their various Stagecoach companies from where the buses are made. Those delivery journeys would mean they would be on the motorways a fair bit. After all the Sharston to Stockport section of the M60 is relatively short so I would assume they are fine for the X5 route.

12241 on a 38 in Farnworth earlier!!!
41mph is top speed I believe (as opposed to a limiter)...as you can imagine, delivery journies down from ADL can be rather long...
(09/10/2014 10:17)mbonwick Wrote:  41mph is top speed I believe (as opposed to a limiter)...as you can imagine, delivery journies down from ADL can be rather long...
That still doesn't seem to stop them overtaking other vehicles in the middle lane of the motorway.
(09/10/2014 10:17)mbonwick Wrote:  41mph is top speed I believe (as opposed to a limiter)...as you can imagine, delivery journies down from ADL can be rather long...

From what I herd Leyland Nationals where capable of 75 mph, later stuff started to be restricted to 55 mph, why are they now restricted to 40 mph? If restrictors go any lower PD2's will be able to overtake their modern counterparts.
(09/10/2014 18:55)Dentonian Wrote:  Perhaps other vehicles shouldn't be doing 35 mph on Motorways!

They weren't.
I came accross some tweets this morning between the MD of a stagecoach Manchester and several passengers regarding services in Manchester. Interestingly one tweet raised the subject of Magic buses being old and tatty. The reply from Stagecoach stated the Magic fleet would be replaced in January 2015 with more enviromentally friendly vehicles. Now by the sounds of it they are doing away with the Magic brand and this would fit in with dual door Tridents only being here temporarily but what's going to replace them?
I don't think their due any new buses so I'm presuming it will be cascade's.

Also mentioned was the e-cig stickers on buses being larger and on every window and drivers actually enforcing the rule but as e cig adverts have today been allowed on tv and radio surly it will be harder to impose.
(10/10/2014 19:42)Dentonian Wrote:  Did he literally say "in January", or *from* January? Although there is no specific date yet for the delivery of the MMC's, I would have thought their arrival might allow cascades to start to replace the oldest Magics, but don't forget there are also 9 (I think) Enviro400s still on loan at HE, which are expected to leave in the coming months as well. Overall, there are now about 80 Magics, with the introduction of the 141, so I can't see them being replaced inside a calender month - let alone the month that is most likely to see the most weather related operational problems. As regards more "environmentally friendly", this might technically be achieved simply by replacing 1998/9 built Tridents with refurbished 2002 examples (ie. the other 10 ex London examples - once the four at Birkenhead come here).
I also doubt the Magic brand will be dropped - especially in the middle of the academic year. As for "tatty", I think that's an exaggeration. Unless they have torn seats uopstairs, I can't see how they can be regarded as any more tatty than a Metro strewn (partially) plastic seated Enviro400. Sounds like some trendy Student basing their whole "travel experience" on the composition of the registration plate.

It would have been FROM January although I would have thought if they were replacing some of the fleet and possibly doing away with the magic brand then the end of the academic year would have been a better option.

The tweet did come from a student who was comparing Magic buses to Firsts brand new vehicles used on competing services. I agree with you in that the Magic buses arnt that bad after all it's a cheap 'no frills' service.

With regards to the brand. It will be interesting to see what does happen. Rumours have been around for a good couple of years about the Magic brand being dropped for a more corporate look, and although the brand does it's job it is slightly outdated.
Magic buses are just for good value, people can get on newer buses if they prefer to spend more (I think first are the same price at the moment). I would prefer to use Magic buses because I prefer older vehicles, but I know a lot of people would prefer to travel in style.
(10/10/2014 21:54)VolvoB10M Wrote:  Magic buses are just for good value, people can get on newer buses if they prefer to spend more (I think first are the same price at the moment). I would prefer to use Magic buses because I prefer older vehicles, but I know a lot of people would prefer to travel in style.

I'm the same I much prefer the older vehicles myself but since the Finglands/First takeover the magic bus concept has been blown out of the water somewhat. Both Magic bus and First are offering £1 flat fares on the student routes the only difference being First are using brand new buses where as the youngest Magic bus is 2002 (2004 on the 141).

I've said before but there's no reason why magic tickets carnt still be sold on certain services but is the actual blue exterior branding actually needed?

User(s) browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)