Current time: 01/05/2024, 07:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(20/05/2014 20:14)SF07 Wrote:  Perhaps Stagecoach should have taken a leaf out of First's book, as they have put little diversion signs with their logo on it for the 409 drivers.

Couldn't agree more.
Both TFGM and First have gone to great lengths to make sure 409 drivers follow the diversion yet there is very little for Stagecoach drivers to follow.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Regarding the incident in Glossop I read on Facebook that the bus might have broken down in Hayfield while operating 358 service, if this is the case why would the bus have been being towed via Glossop unless it was being towed to Hyde Road for attention
(21/05/2014 06:00)M60lad Wrote:  Regarding the incident in Glossop I read on Facebook that the bus might have broken down in Hayfield while operating 358 service, if this is the case why would the bus have been being towed via Glossop unless it was being towed to Hyde Road for attention

Yes I would think it would have been on the way to Hyde Road. May need a little more attention than intended now though...
(21/05/2014 06:25)ace Wrote:  Yes I would think it would have been on the way to Hyde Road. May need a little more attention than intended now though...

There's a lot of different theory's doing the rounds however given the time of day it could have been that the driver took a different route to avoid heavy traffic.

Been told the bus will remain thier for some time to aid an investigation and also as the buildings above the bus are very unstable.
It seems the tow trucks air brakes failed and he purposely drove into the shops to avoid a major collision at the cross roads just yards in front of the carnage.
Full details and pictures here:

http://www.glossopgazette.co.uk/latest-n...ria-street
(21/05/2014 08:28)Mayneway Wrote:  It seems the tow trucks air brakes failed and he purposely drove into the shops to avoid a major collision at the cross roads just yards in front of the carnage.
Full details and pictures here:

http://www.glossopgazette.co.uk/latest-n...ria-street

Having read the various reports of this accident on the internet, not one them says any about the the tow bar or air line, between the Tow truck and the Bus. When you consider the distance between the Tow truck and the Bus, the tow bar & air line must of come detached, either before or during the accident.
(21/05/2014 11:37)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  Having read the various reports of this accident on the internet, not one them says any about the the tow bar or air line, between the Tow truck and the Bus. When you consider the distance between the Tow truck and the Bus, the tow bar & air line must of come detached, either before or during the accident.

That does seem to be the big question. From what's been said the bus became competly detached just before they crashed into the buildings, but from what I've been told, as it's not something I know about, if the air line becomes detached from the bus or even loose the brakes should have locked ON and not failed completely.
There is no tow bar as such - the bus was on suspended tow, ie. was supported by forks under its front axle.

If it receives a big enough jolt, such as the towing vehicle hitting something large enough, then it will simply drop off the forks.
(21/05/2014 12:18)mbonwick Wrote:  There is no tow bar as such - the bus was on suspended tow, ie. was supported by forks under its front axle.

If it receives a big enough jolt, such as the towing vehicle hitting something large enough, then it will simply drop off the forks.

If the bus just drop-off the folks, as you suggested, then that means the bus was not securely fasten to folks in the first place. (A breach of Health & Safety)
(21/05/2014 18:04)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  If the bus just drop-off the folks, as you suggested, then that means the bus was not securely fasten to folks in the first place. (A breach of Health & Safety)

At this point I think it's wrong to assume what went wrong or point any blaime. Don't forget the bus had been towed from Hayfield which is a fair distance from where the accident happened so there's nothing to suggest that the bus wasn't correctly connected to the wagon.

The theory in glossop is that the wagon may have collided with something or jumped onto a high kurb which may have given the bus a big enough jolt to knock it off the forks.

The wagon was removed at around 1.45 and was severely damaged at the front. The bus was removed at around 6.30 this evening again with substantial front damage.
The driver was a very very lucky man and if nothing else it's a blessing nobody was killed.

User(s) browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)