Current time: 04/05/2024, 21:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(03/05/2014 10:48)Polo Mint Wrote:  According to a fleet list I am looking at JPT have 7 Volvo B7TL buses but how many of these are left? I am aware the fleetlist is probably outdated.

Its surprising that the reserve fleet doesn't have newer buses than H reg Olympians. Maybe Stagecoach could get some old buses shipped in from Merseyside or Yorkshire?

I am guessing the H reg Olympians are not in Stagecoach colours.

The problem is there isn't 50 fully working buses parked up on reserve they can just drag out to run the JPT services plus new service 38. They're already putting all of the reserve Manchester Tridents out plus some Enviro400s loaned from other regions until the new Enviro400 MMCs arrive in August/September, some MANs and Darts out too. It just happens the Leylands were in the best condition to put out in service until newer vehicles are available and some of JPT's stock is made road worthy. There's only North East with sufficient spare MAN ALX300s that could be used, but they're mostly knackered ones any way. The entire Cumbria reserve fleet is in service covering shortages (apart from the Routemaster which is reserved for private hire use), Merseyside and Yorkshire have very few working spares either that aren't already in service with them covering shortages.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
So basically Stagecoach have got themselves into a bit of a pickle. Nice to see the Leylands alive though, and probably says a lot about JPT if the buses that have been with them least are in the best nick. I would personally like to see the Leylands enter preservation, as they do seem to be roadworthy. But considering even the Enviro300s that are 59-reg need repairs, it really is appalling the way JPT treated the buses.
I would hardly say that Stagecoach are in a pickle; they're just using exactly the same vehicles JPT were. Have a little patience, it takes time to sort things out.
(03/05/2014 13:06)joe_alker Wrote:  So basically Stagecoach have got themselves into a bit of a pickle. Nice to see the Leylands alive though, and probably says a lot about JPT if the buses that have been with them least are in the best nick. I would personally like to see the Leylands enter preservation, as they do seem to be roadworthy. But considering even the Enviro300s that are 59-reg need repairs, it really is appalling the way JPT treated the buses.

Slightly over stretched rather than in a pickle but don't forget they have a few buses out on loan in Sheffield plus the JPT tenders are only for three months so not long term, but I imagine that once the first few repaints are done things should settle down.

The general condition of the vehicles is hardly surprising they were patched and patched again and again as it was cheaper than doing the actual work required. Don't forget the general condition of the Bluebird fleet was just as bad at thier takeover, the only difference being that while the OFT was dragging thier feet on giving clearance for the takeover Stagecoach were able to loan Bluebird a number of reserve vehicles so thier own vehicles could be brought up to roadworthy standard.
(02/05/2014 23:44)37554BY Wrote:  That is utterly ridiculous
Not really. It is quite likely that the two Leylands, being former EYMS and Stephensons vehicles and having only been with JPT for about five minutes, are in better nick than some of the more modern DDs which have also come with the deal.

Clearly using them is only going to be a short-term measure but if they cannot source anything else from within Stagecoach what do you expect them to do, just not bother running services that are registered? Needs must and all that, I'm sure things will start to move on soon,
(03/05/2014 13:06)joe_alker Wrote:  So basically Stagecoach have got themselves into a bit of a pickle. Nice to see the Leylands alive though, and probably says a lot about JPT if the buses that have been with them least are in the best nick. I would personally like to see the Leylands enter preservation, as they do seem to be roadworthy.
I wouldn't say they've got themselves "into a pickle" by a long way. In fact I'd say they are dealing with the situation in exactly the way they should be.

Get as many replacements in as possible, remove the vehicles in the worst condition from service and keep those in better nick (i.e. less likely to break down) out on the road until they can source more from within Stagecoach stock to clear out everything they don't want.

Anyone who had seen JPT's operation (which no doubt includes the likes of Christopher Bowles) will realise that most of what they were running was little more than scrapyard fodder and that turning something like that round is not going to happen within a week or two. But it will happen, given time. Stagecoach know what they are doing.
Could some of the 21 Enviro200s due for Stockport be diverted for ex-JPT services? With most routes south of Manchester being double-deck and most north of Manchester being single-deck, this provides little current opportunity to combine the routes. It occurs to me that, with Stagecoach now operating ex-Bluebird and ex-JPT routes, they must have more north Manchester local routes than First. First routes heading north of Manchester are mainly inter-urban routes to Oldham, Rochdale, Bury and Oldham.
(03/05/2014 22:20)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Could some of the 21 Enviro200s due for Stockport be diverted for ex-JPT services? With most routes south of Manchester being double-deck and most north of Manchester being single-deck, this provides little current opportunity to combine the routes. It occurs to me that, with Stagecoach now operating ex-Bluebird and ex-JPT routes, they must have more north Manchester local routes than First. First routes heading north of Manchester are mainly inter-urban routes to Oldham, Rochdale, Bury and Oldham.

What buses are the Enviro200s ment to be replacing? - if its the ALX300s then they could send some of them instead,Plus wales will soon have a lot of buses avalible from the cutbacks plus with Carlisle,Caerphilly,Cambridge & Peterborough all soon to gain Enviro 200s (Carlisle already starting to get theres) there will be a lot of Modern 2003 > Onwards Darts they could always move to Manchester (i know a lot are ment to be going down South East but im sure if needed the plans could change).Like others have said they are currently slightly over stretched but its just a stop-gap,no doubt the only reason they are using the Olympians is because they was not with JPT long enough to get wrecked!

I Wonder if theres soon to be any more ex-London stock avalible soon? that could always be a option.
(03/05/2014 23:00)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  What buses are the Enviro200s ment to be replacing? - if its the ALX300s then they could send some of them instead,Plus wales will soon have a lot of buses avalible from the cutbacks plus with Carlisle,Caerphilly,Cambridge & Peterborough all soon to gain Enviro 200s (Carlisle already starting to get theres) there will be a lot of Modern 2003 > Onwards Darts they could always move to Manchester (i know a lot are ment to be going down South East but im sure if needed the plans could change).Like others have said they are currently slightly over stretched but its just a stop-gap,no doubt the only reason they are using the Olympians is because they was not with JPT long enough to get wrecked!

I Wonder if theres soon to be any more ex-London stock avalible soon? that could always be a option.

I would imagine it will all depend on how many of the JPT vehicles are usable and how many Stagecoach are willing to put back on the road.
I carnt see them investing in new vehicles at Middleton yet, if you consider that over the last 12 months all the original Stagecoach Manchester depots have received new vehicles except for Middleton, so I would expect plenty of cascades though.
There seems to be a plan at Stockport to get rid of all the MANs replacing them with the new Enviro200's, so I would expect a few to maybe linger at Middleton for a while but lost are past thier best.

As for London stock it's always an option but they don't seem to fond of the ex London Tridents, plus it took them several months to convert them.
(04/05/2014 07:34)Mayneway Wrote:  I would imagine it will all depend on how many of the JPT vehicles are usable and how many Stagecoach are willing to put back on the road.
I carnt see them investing in new vehicles at Middleton yet, if you consider that over the last 12 months all the original Stagecoach Manchester depots have received new vehicles except for Middleton, so I would expect plenty of cascades though.
There seems to be a plan at Stockport to get rid of all the MANs replacing them with the new Enviro200's, so I would expect a few to maybe linger at Middleton for a while but lost are past thier best.

As for London stock it's always an option but they don't seem to fond of the ex London Tridents, plus it took them several months to convert them.

Magic Bus 18286 operating in West Timperley on X41 this afternoon heading towards Altrincham. Very unusual for a Sunday!

User(s) browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)