Current time: 05/05/2024, 16:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(29/04/2014 20:17)Polo Mint Wrote:  I don't think Stagecoach operating up the Rochdale Road corridor and terminating services at Middleton (rather than continuing up to Bury, Rochdale or Langley) is a bad idea, especially considering Stagecoach's new found strength in Middleton.

I always thought a Glossop to Manchester express bus via the motorway would be a good idea, but Glossop have a pretty decent train link compared to most of the region.

It's been tried a few times over the years and has always failed. As you say the train service is pretty decent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(29/04/2014 20:17)Polo Mint Wrote:  I don't think Stagecoach operating up the Rochdale Road corridor and terminating services at Middleton (rather than continuing up to Bury, Rochdale or Langley) is a bad idea, especially considering Stagecoach's new found strength in Middleton.

I always thought a Glossop to Manchester express bus via the motorway would be a good idea, but Glossop have a pretty decent train link compared to most of the region.

At some point i think its inevitable to expect much more of a stagecoach presence in the Bury area, its not that far to middleton from Bury, and with the exception of the 512/3 routes, its fairly untapped.
Unidentified Nc double decker in the running lines at Sharston tonight. Light green roof and white body visible. Anyone assist?
One of the H reg Leyland Olympians JPT aquired just before their demise. The identities escape me for the moment though.
Cheers mbonwick
Interesting article in Route One, which suggests that Stagecoach have acquired 41 vehicles frpm JPT, as well as the routes and drivers, and that the deal is too small to require OFT approval, although Stagecoach do expect them to review the transaction, "as it is standard procedure". Not sure what that means - could OFT overturn it?

http://www.route-one.net/issues/536/index.html#/12/

Also what would Stagecoach want with the vehicles? Most of them are heaps of junk held together with duct tape. They must have better in reserve I would have thought.
az 36419 (Enviro200) noted on 317 to stockport at 1330 yesterday
(30/04/2014 11:57)Owl Wrote:  Interesting article in Route One, which suggests that Stagecoach have acquired 41 vehicles frpm JPT, as well as the routes and drivers, and that the deal is too small to require OFT approval, although Stagecoach do expect them to review the transaction, "as it is standard procedure". Not sure what that means - could OFT overturn it?

http://www.route-one.net/issues/536/index.html#/12/

Also what would Stagecoach want with the vehicles? Most of them are heaps of junk held together with duct tape. They must have better in reserve I would have thought.

That's interesting.
When Stagecoach acquired Dennis's in 2005 they acquired 'everything' (except the rented offices and depot) including the debts. Now a lot of the step entrance vehicles never saw service with Stagecoach but had minor repairs done and were sold on to presumably go towards these debts so one possibility is if Stagecoach have acquired the company rather than just services that would include debts so presumably the buses are being repaired so they can be sold on as 'working' buses rather than scrap.

Just my theory anyway Smile
(30/04/2014 13:25)Mayneway Wrote:  That's interesting.
When Stagecoach acquired Dennis's in 2005 they acquired 'everything' (except the rented offices and depot) including the debts. Now a lot of the step entrance vehicles never saw service with Stagecoach but had minor repairs done and were sold on to presumably go towards these debts so one possibility is if Stagecoach have acquired the company rather than just services that would include debts so presumably the buses are being repaired so they can be sold on as 'working' buses rather than scrap.

Just my theory anyway Smile

That would fit in with the suggestion that Stagecoach acquired the business for £1, which is the minimum consideration for a contract to be in place.

I wonder which 41 buses are included in the deal - there are some awful heaps of junk at the back of JPTs yard.
(30/04/2014 12:42)james Wrote:  az 36419 (Enviro200) noted on 317 to stockport at 1330 yesterday

It wouldn't surprise me if the number of Enviro200's at AZ halved. They just don't need them all with the loss of the 217/218, and with the handful of ex ST Tridents at AZ my bet would be they go to ST to replace the older MAN's there, although Middleton is also a possibility.

What's interesting is there was 2 older MANs out on AZ services this morning, one on 347's and one on the 345.

Of course it could have simply been covering for a failed journey.

User(s) browsing this thread: 24 Guest(s)