Current time: 20/05/2024, 22:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JPT Bus Company
RE: JPT Bus Company
(23/04/2014 12:53)mbonwick Wrote:  Rumours are that Stagecoach have bought JPT for £1. This would tie in with JPT vehicles receiving fuel and servicing at Middleton.

Would Stagecoach be allowed to takeover JPT with them now also owning Bluebird,Im sure firstbus & OfFT would have something to say about it!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(23/04/2014 15:49)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  Would Stagecoach be allowed to takeover JPT with them now also owning Bluebird,Im sure firstbus & OfFT would have something to say about it!

From what I've been told it isn't so much a takeover, more a transfer of staff and contracts. I'm not sure on the ins and outs of it but could the OFT really put the mockers on it?
The oft can only put a block on it if any assets are transferred over to stagecoach is my understanding but if its just the routes/contracts and work force and stagecoach providing there own veihcles and ops licencies then its not classed as a buyout as the ops licence will remain with its original owner.
Very clever of Stagecoach, but surely it is a bit sneaky. Either way everyone will be a winner so I doubt many people will moan.

Hopefully they will take over the commercial routes or extend some of their South Manchester routes up north past Piccadilly to replace ex-JPT services.
Very clever in deed if this is whats going to happen but thats stagecoach is a clever company and put much thought into what they do and it reaps great rewards for them as you only have to look at the sheer size of the company now.
The OfFT wouldn't be able to do much anyway as stagecoach would claim that due to First buying the Finglands routes in South Manchester in direct competition with themselves, they would only be doing the same in the northern area, in competition with First.
Will be interesting to see how things develope over the weekend and on Monday. If its true that Stagecoach won't be using any of JPT's vehicles then I would imagine there will be a lot of movements over the weekend so that Middleton depot are able to run all of these services from next week.
Anyone care to take a rough guess at what JPT's PVR is including schools?

Are First likely to feel threatened by this??
(23/04/2014 21:42)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  The OfFT wouldn't be able to do much anyway as stagecoach would claim that due to First buying the Finglands routes in South Manchester in direct competition with themselves, they would only be doing the same in the northern area, in competition with First.

What about all the companies (or part-off) that Stagecoach have taken-over in the Manchester area over the years, including Bullocks, Mayne, Bluebird, and now possibly JPT ?
All of those mentioned were cleared by the OFT, or weren't investigated.

OFT can't get involved here as Stagecoach aren't buying JPT, only the 'goodwill' of the business which translates to the services. Staff aren't involved there, though they will move to Stagecoach under TUPE.
(23/04/2014 22:38)Mayneway Wrote:  Are First likely to feel threatened by this??

If you were First, would you feel threatened ?, I know that I would.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)