Current time: 03/05/2024, 18:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
(02/07/2012 17:51)wirralbus Wrote:  
(02/07/2012 13:01)Harryn9000 Wrote:  james street refurb within a week must not need a lot

Those turnbacks at Birkenhead Central / Birkenhead North are at the end of the refurbishment , that will have been going on a while by then .

That's right, James St refurb starts at the beginning of Sept 2012 after Central (Wirral) has finished
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Hooton SB Closure
I don't foresee any major problems occurring because of the Hooton SB closure.

There's no alteration to the signalling layout, so effectively it is a case of re-routing the fibre-optic/copper cables to a new panel at Chester, replating the signals and demolition of the box.

Memories Smile

Hooton signal box located alongside the Down Main line south of Hooton station with its replacement beyond. Saturday 16th February 1985.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/4629249109/
[Image: 4629249109_c47e39a82d_o.jpg]
Had another look at liverpool central northern line platform on my way through to hunts cross last night work is now well underway on stripping the other set of escalators facing the brunswick end of the platform.
New Fleet
I have been informed today that the most recent Merseytravel proposal for the rolling stock replacement is a mix of 3 and 4 carriage trains. They must have a specific train in mind as (IIRC), it stated there would be 274 seats per 3 car set. 6 car trains would no longer operate.

It is also stated in the report that only 48 units should be ordered. However, this may be an overall increase in carriages, depending on the amount of 4-car units.

My rough maths says that for a 3-car, each carriage could seat ~91 passengers, (to get the 274). A 4-car unit assuming the same spec, would seat ~365 passengers, which is roundabout what a 6-car currently holds.

Another key point of the above is that trains are not expected to "stick" to individual lines and the Merseytravel report has recommended trains should interwork with other routes.

Finally, it is also proposed to turn Liverpool South Parkway (Merseyrail platforms) into a bay to allow an 8-min service "in the future".

Now, from what I can gather, Merseyrail aren't particularly satisfied with the above and are asking for it to be reviewed.

First one to find out what the 3-car train, capable of DC running with 274 seats is gets a prize Wink
i would be surprised as hunt cross is getting cut completely by that plan and i would buy six car get work out better option
Im surprised in one way and not in another as crossing onto the electric line to hunts cross precludes much improvement down to Hunts Cross from Liverpool South Parkway .
the train is class 377
No chance of that happening as I'm sure Bombardier have finished with their Electrostar design in its current form.

4 car trains are very unlikely on a network like Merseyrail. In case we haven't forgotten, the RUS pointed out the need for extra capacity, i.e. more 6 car trains. They're pairs for a reason - the 6-cars currently found on the Southport - Hunts Cross, Ormskirk and Chester routes are absolutely needed. A few extra seats in a 3 car (or indeed 4 car) train will not come close to solving the overcrowding problem.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
(03/07/2012 20:53)507009 Wrote:  No chance of that happening as I'm sure Bombardier have finished with their Electrostar design in its current form.

4 car trains are very unlikely on a network like Merseyrail. In case we haven't forgotten, the RUS pointed out the need for extra capacity, i.e. more 6 car trains. They're pairs for a reason - the 6-cars currently found on the Southport - Hunts Cross, Ormskirk and Chester routes are absolutely needed. A few extra seats in a 3 car (or indeed 4 car) train will not come close to solving the overcrowding problem.

But as said previously, one of the "new" 4 car trains will hold the same amount of people as a 6-car 507/508 working.

This isn't speculation, I'm sure wirralbus could confirm this when (s)he receives the "core brief".

I believe for a recent Thameslink tender, it was worded so that almost anything other than 377s would not meet the bid criteria, but can't remember where I read that. Even if they are still in production, Merseyrail won't get them.
RE: New Fleet
(03/07/2012 11:17)First Class Wrote:  I have been informed today that the most recent Merseytravel proposal for the rolling stock replacement is a mix of 3 and 4 carriage trains. They must have a specific train in mind as (IIRC), it stated there would be 274 seats per 3 car set. 6 car trains would no longer operate.

It is also stated in the report that only 48 units should be ordered. However, this may be an overall increase in carriages, depending on the amount of 4-car units.

My rough maths says that for a 3-car, each carriage could seat ~91 passengers, (to get the 274). A 4-car unit assuming the same spec, would seat ~365 passengers, which is roundabout what a 6-car currently holds.

Another key point of the above is that trains are not expected to "stick" to individual lines and the Merseytravel report has recommended trains should interwork with other routes.

Finally, it is also proposed to turn Liverpool South Parkway (Merseyrail platforms) into a bay to allow an 8-min service "in the future".

Now, from what I can gather, Merseyrail aren't particularly satisfied with the above and are asking for it to be reviewed.

First one to find out what the 3-car train, capable of DC running with 274 seats is gets a prize Wink

Sure, there is talk of a bay at South Parkway, but it IS IN ADDITION to the existing platforms 5 & 6, to increase capacity down there. There is also a possibility of re-modelling Hunts Cross West Junction to Hunts Cross to avoid delays by other TOC's trains crossing at the junction - this would mean Merseyrail would have its own separate route down to Hunts Cross.

User(s) browsing this thread: 15 Guest(s)