Current time: 05/05/2024, 14:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
They do have defect cards infact yesterday the defect card was the subject of much discussion infact one of the VOSA inspectors actually took the defect card away with him.

I didn't catch the whole conversation but it sounded like the first driver who took the bus out of depot in the morning had signed the bus off as being fine. The driver we had was the second of the day so whether he would be fined I don't know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The driver can be fined but only if its proven that the problem as occured since that driver as been in charge of the bus but that driver as to prove he wasnt aware of any problems when he took over and if can be proven the first user card and cctv can be checked to see if the first user checked his bus correctly and if found guilty the first user would get the fine.
(24/01/2014 14:07)motormayhem1 Wrote:  The driver can be fined but only if its proven that the problem as occured since that driver as been in charge of the bus but that driver as to prove he wasnt aware of any problems when he took over and if can be proven the first user card and cctv can be checked to see if the first user checked his bus correctly and if found guilty the first user would get the fine.

In all my years in the industry, I've never heard of a driver being fined by VOSA for a maintenance "failure". If a prohibition (immediate or delayed) has been issued to a vehicle, it is the operators responsibility to repair it and have the prohibition cleared. If the operator has a poor maintenance record, then they may well be called to a Public Inquiry by the Traffic Commissioner, which could result in enforcement action against the O licence, that might include a fine.
Drivers can of course be prosecuted for drivers hours infringements, which may be uncovered by VOSA spot checks. However the wheel tappers tend not to be the same people that check tachos etc.
When i was working for GTL out of there aintree depot i was on the verge of receiving a fine along with the PG9 i received due to the rear seat of my leyland lynx hanging off due to the school kids at prescot but i got away without receiving a fine because i had already been in to see the fitter that use to be based at the old P.S.B.S and he confirmed it that i had phoned h
it through before i arrived there when they checked my bus.
While I'm not a driver or work for a bus company one thing I do know is that some drivers at not only Stagecoach Manchester sometimes do forget to fill in the condition card so say another driver gets on they will realize that it's not been filled in properly so some faults are then overlooked.

I also have also known drivers in the past not only at Stagecoach Manchester that could probably fill in more than one condition card with faults much to the annoyance of engineering staff

I'm wondering whether we're ever going to get to the stage whereby every driver will have to do a check of their vehicle when they get on it during the day.
(26/01/2014 07:24)M60lad Wrote:  While I'm not a driver or work for a bus company one thing I do know is that some drivers at not only Stagecoach Manchester sometimes do forget to fill in the condition card so say another driver gets on they will realize that it's not been filled in properly so some faults are then overlooked.

I also have also known drivers in the past not only at Stagecoach Manchester that could probably fill in more than one condition card with faults much to the annoyance of engineering staff

I'm wondering whether we're ever going to get to the stage whereby every driver will have to do a check of their vehicle when they get on it during the day.

I hope not, Stagecoach changeovers during the day take too long already it would be a nightmere if they had to do a load of extra checks as well Smile
Checks only need to be done by the first user, hence the term "first user checks" - or - "daily walk round check" - I forget to fikl out the book when I first get on sometimes, happens, but as the driver in question isnt on the board probably best to stop speculating
(26/01/2014 08:46)jimbo Wrote:  Checks only need to be done by the first user, hence the term "first user checks" - or - "daily walk round check" - I forget to fikl out the book when I first get on sometimes, happens, but as the driver in question isnt on the board probably best to stop speculating

We're not talking about a driver we are talking in general.
nice to see 36422 broke down at 5pm(ish) today on 347 at the oldham rd / katherine st lights meaning 216,219,347, 317 going to asda roundabout straight to ashton cop shop (outbound) and some passengers in lurch at katherine st bus stops with no idea of diversions lol
Expect some odd workings this weekend from Stagecoach Manchester as quite a number of buses are going to be needed for Metrolink work on Saturday as the whole of the South Side Metrolink services are replaced by Buses as follows:

The following lines will have a replacement bus service:

Altrincham to Piccadilly
East Didsbury to Victoria
Eccles to Piccadilly via MediaCityUK

Its certainly going to see Stagecoach virtually at full stretch on Saturday vehicle turn out wise

User(s) browsing this thread: 19 Guest(s)