Current time: 16/06/2024, 02:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
Nice pic, I've not memory of that, and I should really!!
Find all posts by this user
AFAIK the original use of the middle roads was not for stabling. Before the station concourse was redeveloped and the platforms shortened they were connected to the adjacent platform lines at the buffer ends to enable incoming locos to run round or go for watering or coaling or to the turntables at the north end of platform 1 or by the signal box. HTH
yes that would certainly make sense
In the old set up which i can just about remember , im led to believe Platform 1 was shorter than the other platforms .

Considering that Platform 1 in its present length could take a loco and 7 Coach Transpennine set and a new loco on top , I do wonder how long some of the platforms would have been at there original length.
I never realised that. How far back are we going?

SD.

(14/11/2013 21:46)507022 Wrote:  AFAIK the original use of the middle roads was not for stabling. Before the station concourse was redeveloped and the platforms shortened they were connected to the adjacent platform lines at the buffer ends to enable incoming locos to run round or go for watering or coaling or to the turntables at the north end of platform 1 or by the signal box. HTH
(13/11/2013 19:50)N271CKB Wrote:  Out of curiosity, how long has it been since the middle tracks inbetween the platforms have been used, got no memories of them in use

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
About 150 passengers had to flee a train on to the tracks in Greater Manchester after it caught fire.

The Northern Rail service between Manchester and Leeds stopped in Clegg Hall in Wardle, Rochdale, after passengers reported smoke coming from beneath a carriage at 15:30 GMT.

Greater Manchester Fire Service said no-one was hurt in the blaze, which involved a diesel tank under the train.

Credit : BBC News
(17/11/2013 23:11)Sprinterdriver Wrote:  I never realised that. How far back are we going?

SD.

(14/11/2013 21:46)507022 Wrote:  AFAIK the original use of the middle roads was not for stabling. Before the station concourse was redeveloped and the platforms shortened they were connected to the adjacent platform lines at the buffer ends to enable incoming locos to run round or go for watering or coaling or to the turntables at the north end of platform 1 or by the signal box. HTH

This layout was standard in most terminal staions in steam days to release engines on arrival so it would have probably been like that until at least up to electrification at the start of the 60s when most trains were steam hauled, but may have been for much longer than that, I can't remember exactly
Thanks.

SD.
(Yesterday 08:47)childwallblues Wrote:
A recent comment from on high was that units replaced by Class 319s would not necessarily remain with Northern. This comment would now make sense. Although only six Class 319s (319362/63/65/80/82/83 are the likely ones) are due in June others will follow once the Class 387s enter service on Thameslink. My thoughts are that six Class 156 would be released to transfer from Allerton to Neville Hill replace Class 158s for TPE service.
I understand that further 319s will not be released until at least early 2016 when the 700s start to enter service. The 387s will only facilitate the return of 377s to Southern for further strengthening down there. So, it looks like just three 319s to Northern for the next couple of years.

Is it worthwhile running an electric service from December 2014.
It may be better to wait until enough units arrive and traincrew trained, sometime in 2015 hopefully, or if not,2016
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)