Current time: 02/05/2024, 18:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
No, because to buy buses off himself he'd have to be a majority shareholder in ADL (making it 'his' company), which he isn't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/05/2013 21:03)mbonwick Wrote:  No, because to buy buses off himself he'd have to be a majority shareholder in ADL (making it 'his' company), which he isn't.

I believe he is the largest single shareholder, and along with his sister, they hold a majority of the shares. However as these are privately held shares, and transactions between the Stagecoach Group and ADL are regulated, it is somewhat irrelevant!
12183 Also broke down today!
Nothing new, I suppose.
(27/05/2013 22:42)Neukit Wrote:  I believe he is the largest single shareholder, and along with his sister, they hold a majority of the shares. However as these are privately held shares, and transactions between the Stagecoach Group and ADL are regulated, it is somewhat irrelevant!

Correct on all counts sir! I was just trying to make the point that while on his own, Sir Brian may be the largest single shareholder in ADL, he does not have a majority.

The Monopolies & Mergers Commission (as they were then) did look at the ADL/Stagecoach situation when Mayflower group went bust, and found that there was no cause for concern.
Does anyone know which routes will gain the new hybrids or will it be a case of enhancing the 192 route with more hybrids?

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_cent...icleId=235
Whilst down on Merseyside yesterday to see the warships from the Battle of the Atlantic commemoration leave the Mersey,I had rides on two buses,Arriva 4512 [a '13' reg] on the 437 and Stagecoach 19054[ex Manchester] on the 471.The latter,which I never once travelled on in its time in Manchester, sounded tons better than the former which was pretty grim for a new bus.
(27/05/2013 17:43)mbonwick Wrote:  Stagecoach's will be E400Hs.

Nowhere else in the country bar London has as many hybrids as Manchester, though this is probably because the operating environment lends itself to hybrid operation, which much of the country doesn't.

Why does "the operating environment lends itself to hybrid operation" work here compared to other regions?
(29/05/2013 19:24)YSV-205 Wrote:  

Nowhere else in the country bar London has as many hybrids as Manchester, though this is probably because the operating environment lends itself to hybrid operation, which much of the country doesn't.

Why does "the operating environment lends itself to hybrid operation" work here compared to other regions?

They aren't really suited to operation in "out of town" areas, which predominate in many of the Stagecoach UK Bus operations.
(29/05/2013 20:34)Neukit Wrote:  
(29/05/2013 19:24)YSV-205 Wrote:  

They aren't really suited to operation in "out of town" areas, which predominate in many of the Stagecoach UK Bus operations.

Which probably explains why there are none at Ashton depot, as they do a lot of out of town and short journey routes.
(29/05/2013 21:57)ace Wrote:  
(29/05/2013 20:34)Neukit Wrote:  
(29/05/2013 19:24)YSV-205 Wrote:  Why does "the operating environment lends itself to hybrid operation" work here compared to other regions?

Which probably explains why there are none at Ashton depot, as they do a lot of out of town and short journey routes.

It would appear that some people are mis-understanding what Neukit & Bonwick, are saying.

So, I will have a go!

1) If a Hybrid were to breakdown (I have lost count on how postings there have been about them breaking down) in the centre of Manchester, the next bus is only minutes away, whereas if a bus was to breakdown in the lakes, the next bus could be an hour or more away.

2) As a Hybrid bus cause less pollution, then a normal bus, there is greater health benefits for the population of large urban areas like Manchester, then large rural areas, like the Lake District.

User(s) browsing this thread: 14 Guest(s)