Current time: 03/05/2024, 08:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(09/05/2013 18:36)P528LND Wrote:  An issue I find with cross city or cross town services is that if they are late on a certain part of the route, they are late throughout the journey, however even though that may be the case there are still passengers who do change in cities and towns and miss their connecting bus because the previous service was late. You can't get it just right thinking about it :')

Well surely it's the case with any route that once it falls late by getting held up in traffic, or other reason it sends the whole schedule for the bus/driver to pot.
At least if a bus is late going cross town, but the passenger doesn't have to change buses, they will only be as late as the bus they are on and not that plus the time they now have to wait for the next connection bus having missed the one they should have got. Also if a bus is behind schedule it's quite common for a driver to speed things up a little to make up time, i.e. less newspaper reading time at terminus, etc LOL
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Isn't the 559 a TfGM contract though?
(09/05/2013 19:41)sumner Wrote:  Isn't the 559 a TfGM contract though?

Contract is between Hindley and Bolton only - Aspull - Hindley commercial, at least that was the case with Maytree. Would make sense to extend the service to Wigan but may give Arriva a bit of a headache between Aspull and Wigan.
Why would Stagecoach be concerned about giving Arriva a headache? Confused
(09/05/2013 21:11)ace Wrote:  Why would Stagecoach be concerned about giving Arriva a headache? Confused

Wasn't saying Stagecoach were concerned. Just stating that it could given that Aspull - Wigan is one of their main routes in from the Bolton direction.
(09/05/2013 21:16)St Helens Rider Wrote:  
(09/05/2013 21:11)ace Wrote:  Why would Stagecoach be concerned about giving Arriva a headache? Confused

Wasn't saying Stagecoach were concerned. Just stating that it could given that Aspull - Wigan is one of their main routes in from the Bolton direction.

Why shouldn't Stagecoach give Arriva a headache ?, after all, it was Arriva that complained to the OFT about Stagecoach taking-over First operations in the Wigan area. (tic 4 tac)
Was it? I heard a rumour it was Northern. Certainly haven't heard or seen any firm confirmation as to who it was myself though.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
I was told that there wasnt just one complaint there was about 3 but i guess it doesnt matter who complained as stagecoach was awarded the decision by the oft so if they wanna compete they have every right to,then its down to the other firms to start thinking about competeing back as its a competeing industry.
(10/05/2013 05:16)motormayhem Wrote:  I was told that there wasnt just one complaint there was about 3 but i guess it doesnt matter who complained as stagecoach was awarded the decision by the oft so if they wanna compete they have every right to,then its down to the other firms to start thinking about competeing back as its a competeing industry.

Correct the OFT did receive 3 complaints, hence the investigation.

If other operators don't like, they could always try competing! After all that was the idea of the 1985 Transport Act.
Its a dog eat dog world in the bus industry these days and its who ever is willing to go that extra mile is the one that will come out on top i guess.

User(s) browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)