Current time: 24/04/2024, 15:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Bootle Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Bootle Depot
(17/03/2013 20:06)MPTE1955 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 19:15)3111 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 18:23)MPTE1955 Wrote:  As a regular user of the both these services I would say the 60 is nearly always a busy route between 3-6.00 I would say, through the school finishing times and rush hour, the 61 can be a bit hit and miss, sometimes you wold say a dart is perfectly adequate, but then another time using exactly the same time bus you would say a decker should be used, its just one of them funny routes.
Well, one less service to worry about is the 59, which is withdrawn from the end of April. Therefore, up to two less 'deckers will escape from the 61 per hour.
Well two less buses anyway, didnt know about the 59 but this really has been like a slow death of the old 61A, being reduced in route to Broadway, then having the route number change to the 59 and finally ending up in withdrawal.
I agree! I remember the days of Lances and Endurances travelling through Netherton on the 61A to Aigburth, then 'deckers were frequently on the 61A to Broadway when the service started interworking with the 61 (which is when Darts gradually started going onto the 61/61A - when the Lances and Endurances were slowly dispersing) and then when pretty-much anything apart from Pulsars (except on rare occasions) were on the 61A to Walton!

Avon Buses' 122 is usually busy during the day between Walton and Netherton and Arriva's 53A is also normally busy between Aintree and Netherton, so, if they did ever bring the old 61A back between Bootle and Walton (or even beyond), I doubt that there would be much market left for it. As for the 59 route between Netherton and Bootle, there are plenty of services from the Gorsey Lane side of Sterrix Lane for Linacre Road (55) and Bootle Strand Shopping Centre (52/52A/55) and there's the 159 on the Church Road side of Boundary Road which travels via Linacre Road to Bootle Strand Shopping Centre. Not really much of a loss - I pretty-much seen its withdrawal coming from the start! The service is frequently delayed and the two-minute turn-around time in Netherton doesn't exactly give much recovery time when delays on the 61 and Church Road during peak-hour have took effect.

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(17/03/2013 20:31)3111 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 20:06)MPTE1955 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 19:15)3111 Wrote:  Well, one less service to worry about is the 59, which is withdrawn from the end of April. Therefore, up to two less 'deckers will escape from the 61 per hour.
Well two less buses anyway, didnt know about the 59 but this really has been like a slow death of the old 61A, being reduced in route to Broadway, then having the route number change to the 59 and finally ending up in withdrawal.
I agree! I remember the days of Lances and Endurances travelling through Netherton on the 61A to Aigburth, then 'deckers were frequently on the 61A to Broadway when the service started interworking with the 61 (which is when Darts gradually started going onto the 61/61A - when the Lances and Endurances were slowly dispersing) and then when pretty-much anything apart from Pulsars (except on rare occasions) were on the 61A to Walton!

Avon Buses' 122 is usually busy during the day between Walton and Netherton and Arriva's 53A is also normally busy between Aintree and Netherton, so, if they did ever bring the old 61A back between Bootle and Walton (or even beyond), I doubt that there would be much market left for it. As for the 59 route between Netherton and Bootle, there are plenty of services from the Gorsey Lane side of Sterrix Lane for Linacre Road (55) and Bootle Strand Shopping Centre (52/52A/55) and there's the 159 on the Church Road side of Boundary Road which travels via Linacre Road to Bootle Strand Shopping Centre. Not really much of a loss - I pretty-much seen its withdrawal coming from the start! The service is frequently delayed and the two-minute turn-around time in Netherton doesn't exactly give much recovery time when delays on the 61 and Church Road during peak-hour have took effect.

Do you know if this is going to result in the 61 going back to its old route during the day as in Marsh Lane & Knowsley Road. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
(17/03/2013 20:36)MPTE1955 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 20:31)3111 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 20:06)MPTE1955 Wrote:  Well two less buses anyway, didnt know about the 59 but this really has been like a slow death of the old 61A, being reduced in route to Broadway, then having the route number change to the 59 and finally ending up in withdrawal.

Do you know if this is going to result in the 61 going back to its old route during the day as in Marsh Lane & Knowsley Road. Thanks in advance.
Doubt it - there are plenty of services from "the front of the strand" that travel via Knowsley Road, such as the 47/48/48A and the 54. One of the main problems with the 59 (and the old 61) is that it travels the wrong way on Knowsley Road compared to other Bootle-bound services, so its market is reduced (let's face it - the services for Bootle are more regular on one side of the road than the other side, so people are going to wait on the frequent side).

(17/03/2013 20:40)3111 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 20:36)MPTE1955 Wrote:  
(17/03/2013 20:31)3111 Wrote:  I agree! I remember the days of Lances and Endurances travelling through Netherton on the 61A to Aigburth, then 'deckers were frequently on the 61A to Broadway when the service started interworking with the 61 (which is when Darts gradually started going onto the 61/61A - when the Lances and Endurances were slowly dispersing) and then when pretty-much anything apart from Pulsars (except on rare occasions) were on the 61A to Walton!

Doubt it - there are plenty of services from "the front of the strand" that travel via Knowsley Road, such as the 47/48/48A and the 54. One of the main problems with the 59 (and the old 61) is that it travels the wrong way on Knowsley Road compared to other Bootle-bound services, so its market is reduced (let's face it - the services for Bootle are more regular on one side of the road than the other side, so people are going to wait on the frequent side).

True, they do go the wrong way, but then the 61 was like that for years even after the destination changed to Bootle from Seaforth. For those living on Marsh Lane there are one or two cumfy bus services that go that way, However, wouldnt completely surprise me if they did send the 61 back the old way, I hope not though as that will add a little bit of time to my journey home.
Does anyone know if 2928 (CX58 FZK) SB200/Pulsar1 is back on the road?

Rode it Monday and couldn't believe the ride, constant bouncing from the rear suspension made it feel like a bouncy castle!
It would hit a speed hump then continue to bounce for five or six seconds. Ridiculous!

The driver noticed a warning light on his dashboard and said there was a fault with the suspension (so I presume its been taken out of service?)
Strangely enough, it was still on the road an hour later, but this time the driver was frantically revving the engine, presumably to build up sufficient air.

Anyway, I haven't seen it since Monday, so I presume its now VOR with knackered suspension.
Unless -of course- anyone else knows any different....
(20/03/2013 14:25)mathias Wrote:  Does anyone know if 2928 (CX58 FZK) SB200/Pulsar1 is back on the road?

Rode it Monday and couldn't believe the ride, constant bouncing from the rear suspension made it feel like a bouncy castle!
It would hit a speed hump then continue to bounce for five or six seconds. Ridiculous!

The driver noticed a warning light on his dashboard and said there was a fault with the suspension (so I presume its been taken out of service?)
Strangely enough, it was still on the road an hour later, but this time the driver was frantically revving the engine, presumably to build up sufficient air.

Anyway, I haven't seen it since Monday, so I presume its now VOR with knackered suspension.
Unless -of course- anyone else knows any different....
I haven't seen it out, although I'll keep my eyes out for it! I'm no mechanic, but it may be the shock absorbers that have broken.

I had Pulsar CX58 EXK (2918) yesterday morning on my 311 from Aintree to Skelmersdale. This bus just keeps getting worse - its engine sounds knackered, it "stutters" its way through gear one being unable to rev normally, it's quite sluggish (needs more than the A59 to reach top speed) and it vibrates strangely, in no rhythm, whilst idle whilst some strange knocking accompany it. I was told a few months ago that this and CX58 FZA (2920) have the highest mileage and that both are nearly eligible for new engines - obviously not in 2920's case because, as we all know, it's already had one!

These 58 plate pulsars at Boole are only 4 1/2 years old and already knackered, think what they will be like in another 4 years. You will think you have gone back in time and riding a knackered marshall like 7675 for example by then.
(20/03/2013 21:00)MPTE1955 Wrote:  These 58 plate pulsars at Boole are only 4 1/2 years old and already knackered, think what they will be like in another 4 years. You will think you have gone back in time and riding a knackered marshall like 7675 for example by then.
Some are fine - just a few need some attention (and I doubt that they won't receive it until they're really bad).

(20/03/2013 21:00)MPTE1955 Wrote:  These 58 plate pulsars at Boole are only 4 1/2 years old and already knackered, think what they will be like in another 4 years. You will think you have gone back in time and riding a knackered marshall like 7675 for example by then.
If they have their panels tightened back up at some stage, I'd disagree and by all accounts, the ride offered by the Pulsars is vastly superior to that of the Darts at this point in their lifetime on a comparable lightweight chassis. It does all seem to be down to the extended maintenance of these vehicles by their respective depots as the initial build quality is reasonably high with no rattles and a smooth ride, with the odd exception on the rattling front and seems to remain that way for differing periods within different depots - Southport's contingent in particular are quite exemplary from my experience. When you compare that to some of the Darts, particularly the Marshalls, which had a poor build quality and ride in many cases from the off, there's a noticeable difference. Darts, Ultralows etc. all rattled their way along after a few years in service and managed 15 years, I don't really understood the seemingly common consensus that these Pulsars won't.

Don't get me wrong, it'd have been much nicer if Arriva had standardised on a heavier chassis such as the Volvo offering but I do think that the Pulsars receive a large amount of unjustified 'bad press' from the enthusiast community for what they do actually offer. Certainly to passengers, they're a much better offering than a Dart with an improved, more comfortable interior and I suppose, at the end of the day, it's the customer's opinion which matters to the company as it is them whom keep them in business.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
(20/03/2013 22:08)CX54 DKD Wrote:  
If they have their panels tightened back up at some stage, I'd disagree and by all accounts, the ride offered by the Pulsars is vastly superior to that of the Darts at this point in their lifetime on a comparable lightweight chassis. It does all seem to be down to the extended maintenance of these vehicles by their respective depots as the initial build quality is reasonably high with no rattles and a smooth ride, with the odd exception on the rattling front and seems to remain that way for differing periods within different depots - Southport's contingent in particular are quite exemplary from my experience. When you compare that to some of the Darts, particularly the Marshalls, which had a poor build quality and ride in many cases from the off, there's a noticeable difference. Darts, Ultralows etc. all rattled their way along after a few years in service and managed 15 years, I don't really understood the seemingly common consensus that these Pulsars won't.

Don't get me wrong, it'd have been much nicer if Arriva had standardised on a heavier chassis such as the Volvo offering but I do think that the Pulsars receive a large amount of unjustified 'bad press' from the enthusiast community for what they do actually offer. Certainly to passengers, they're a much better offering than a Dart with an improved, more comfortable interior and I suppose, at the end of the day, it's the customer's opinion which matters to the company as it is them whom keep them in business.

I was referring to the Pulsars mentioned that if they are bad now, think in another 4 years, I have already said previously that other depots 58 plate pulsars are better than all of Bootles, St Helens one's are far superior for example. As for the pulsars, well they couldn't help but be better than a Marshall or X-ANC darts. I personally am not a big fan of pulsars and the Eclipses are far superior to pulsars and its a pity Arriva didn't get those instead of some pulsars. As for customers, well I am also a customer getting a bus to work everyday and not just an enthusiast and this is an opinions game, of course I am not suggesting that you have said otherwise.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)