Current time: 15/05/2024, 05:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(17/02/2013 20:32)Polo Mint Wrote:  I am not disputing your rumours, but just because Stagecoach have placed an offer doesn't mean it will get accepted. First would be foolishly to sell Greater Manchester whilst keeping The Devon and Cornwall division that has near a (10%) net profit margin.

Don't get me wrong I hope it does, Stagecoach grows services and doesn't cut them very often and have a more modern fleet.

The implications could be good in terms of cross-city routes, like re-jugging Salford services and contuning some 192 journeys to Salford for example, or expanding some more traditional First services to Didsbury for better access to the Universities. Or perhaps combining/extending some routes from Ashton to the Trafford Centre.

I understand where you're coming from with this, but I personally would like this rumour to be true, also as First Group need £100m to get itself out of debt (?) why was this published on their website
'FirstGroup, the UK’s leading bus and rail operator, today revealed that its bus division has ordered 464 new vehicles worth £76m for delivery in the 2013/14 financial year. This order will bring First’s investment in new buses to around £240m in three years.'? Makes no sense to me... :p
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(17/02/2013 20:32)Polo Mint Wrote:  I am not disputing your rumours, but just because Stagecoach have placed an offer doesn't mean it will get accepted. First would be foolishly to sell Greater Manchester whilst keeping The Devon and Cornwall division that has near a (10%) net profit margin.

Don't get me wrong I hope it does, Stagecoach grows services and doesn't cut them very often and have a more modern fleet.

The implications could be good in terms of cross-city routes, like re-jugging Salford services and contuning some 192 journeys to Salford for example, or expanding some more traditional First services to Didsbury for better access to the Universities. Or perhaps combining/extending some routes from Ashton to the Trafford Centre.

to be fair,if firstbus are wanting to get £100m then there going to have to flog a big profitable operation to get it,there never going to get it flogging small areas like devon & cornwall.

the onley thing that worrys me is if stagecoach get oldham depot,will the continue the huddersfield service? - firstbus will no doubt add a extra bus from huddersfield to marsden & with stagecoach no longer having a presence in huddersfield,it would affect loadings on the 184
(17/02/2013 20:36)MX12EOC Wrote:  

I understand where you're coming from with this, but I personally would like this rumour to be true, also as First Group need £100m to get itself out of debt (?) why was this published on their website
'FirstGroup, the UK’s leading bus and rail operator, today revealed that its bus division has ordered 464 new vehicles worth £76m for delivery in the 2013/14 financial year. This order will bring First’s investment in new buses to around £240m in three years.'? Makes no sense to me... :p

because if they dont invest in new buses,it could cost money in the long run
(17/02/2013 20:39)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  

to be fair,if firstbus are wanting to get £100m then there going to have to flog a big profitable operation to get it,there never going to get it flogging small areas like devon & cornwall.

the onley thing that worrys me is if stagecoach get oldham depot,will the continue the huddersfield service? - firstbus will no doubt add a extra bus from huddersfield to marsden & with stagecoach no longer having a presence in huddersfield,it would affect loadings on the 184

I see your point, yet it may give them a reason to start up (or restart) a business in Huddersfield, although some deal may come in place as I believe they have a 'no competition' deal on (even though stagecoach is much more popular).
(17/02/2013 20:40)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  

I know, look at Wigan whilst under first ownership, they were starting to fail as they had the old crappier buses and barely any new buses. Now under Stagecoach ownership, they're doing much better as they already invested in the service even before takeover. Well I guess you gotta spend money to make money. :L
Fleet investment is required for fuel efficiency and increasing patronage. I just can't see First selling Greater Manchester after all the recent investment (Enviro400 and hybrids), surely if they wanted to sell it then they would have sold it along with Wigan?
(17/02/2013 20:43)MX12EOC Wrote:  
(17/02/2013 20:39)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  

I see your point, yet it may give them a reason to start up (or restart) a business in Huddersfield, although some deal may come in place as I believe they have a 'no competition' deal on (even though stagecoach is much more popular).

theres no gap in huddersfield to start up realy - Kline/Firstbus go head to head on most main corridors,HBC Serve rural areas (denby dale,clayton west,stocksmoor),arriva doing long distance services to leeds & of cause stotts doing a few round the houses minibus services.The only opening stagecoach could realy have to huddersfield is on the summer glossop route or dare i say bringing back the barnsley service
(17/02/2013 20:47)Polo Mint Wrote:  I just can't see First selling Greater Manchester after all the recent investment (Enviro400 and hybrids),

i can,recent fleet investment = bigger selling price,plus if it wasnt for olympics them Enviro400s might never of been orderd
(17/02/2013 20:51)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  
(17/02/2013 20:47)Polo Mint Wrote:  I just can't see First selling Greater Manchester after all the recent investment (Enviro400 and hybrids),

i can,recent fleet investment = bigger selling price,plus if it wasnt for olympics them Enviro400s might never of been orderd

Yep, plus it makes stagecoach's job easier (as they're the backbone for the Enviro400) for them to relivery. Plus they are new so they shouldn't have much mileage on them as well as the Enviro400's could too bring the price up. So pretty much what he/she said xD
(17/02/2013 20:40)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  

Or it could give them more reason to jack up the price of a depot.

User(s) browsing this thread: 22 Guest(s)