Current time: 06/05/2024, 01:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(10/01/2013 23:59)ste Wrote:  I reckon companies like SLT were getting a easy ride against First with lack of investment and hiked up fares. And now that a company has come in and is investing money in the fleet whilst slashing prices they are worried. But what can the OFT do? Insist First retake over the depot? Surely if it rejects Stagecoach another company would be sought or the town would have no bus service.

And who would take it? Surely Arriva would be an even bigger issue for the OFT as they already run a lot of services in the area, whereas before this Stagecoach only ran an hourly 113 to Preston.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
All I can say, living in the Wigan area, people seem to be loving the new buses and also loving the new low fares accompanying them! :P
Actually now with some forethought I think it could potentially have been Arriva who have complained, the cheaper stagecoach fares may be causing a worry in case of passengers shifting over to other services. For example the 540 service is now a lot cheaper than the alternative 575/715 from arriva. Also the stagecoach frequent 621/628 services are now operated with newer buses and cheaper fares, this could be causing a shift in passengers who would normally use arriva between Wigan and Newtown/Pemberton. Same again goes with 625/626 with stagecoach lancashires 113 against parts of arrivas 362. Arrivas 360 also competes with Stagecoach's frequent 658 on certain stretches through Platt Bridge and Golborne...

The next biggest competitor would be First, but seeing as it was first who sold to stagecoach, I doubt they would then complain to the OFT.
On the off chance that OFT rule against the Stagecoach takeover what's going to happen to the current fleet at Wigan especially the new buses, will they stay at Wigan Depot or end up staying with Stagecoach and going elsewhere
(10/01/2013 17:16)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 13:02)mbonwick Wrote:  The OFT are now looking into the aquisition of First Wigan, with a view to referring it to the Competition Commission. They should report by 25th Feb.

What !, I thought it already was approved by the OFT & Competition Commission.

Then if they were to digress the takeover, would stagecoach have to be reimbursed the £12m, the amount it took to change the depot, uniforms and stuff like that. Honestly I thought it was already approved by both OfT and CC especially if it was in Wigan, where they didn't have a lot of routes so it would be alright. Even if they were to buy Bolton, or Bury (I don't know if they're up for sale) they should be allowed to because they don't have a lot of routes.
(11/01/2013 07:13)M60lad Wrote:  On the off chance that OFT rule against the Stagecoach takeover what's going to happen to the current fleet at Wigan especially the new buses, will they stay at Wigan Depot or end up staying with Stagecoach and going elsewhere

Well presumably in that instance they would have to be cascaded out. Wave I would think if this did happen, the new buses would end up at Cambridge, where they were intended for in the first place, the ones brought from Aberdeen etc, would go back to where-est they came, and the ones which Stagecoach bought from First would go to wherever his Majesty at OFT says.
I do think it's unlikely though. I hope this is just following the usual procedure in view of a complaint, which in reality does nothing but disrupt services for a time.
(11/01/2013 07:18)MX12EOC Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 17:16)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 13:02)mbonwick Wrote:  The OFT are now looking into the aquisition of First Wigan, with a view to referring it to the Competition Commission. They should report by 25th Feb.

What !, I thought it already was approved by the OFT & Competition Commission.

Then if they were to digress the takeover, would stagecoach have to be reimbursed the £12m, the amount it took to change the depot, uniforms and stuff like that.

I doubt it. In the unlikely event of this happening, chances are Stagecoach would be fined the equivalent or more if foul play was proven, the only way Stagecoach could lose this case.
I cannot understand how foul play can even be suspected? The takeover wasn't hostile, in fact the original buyer pulled out at the last minute hence becoming available to the next in line... that being Stagecoach.
(11/01/2013 19:56)Nicholas Wrote:  I cannot understand how foul play can even be suspected? The takeover wasn't hostile, in fact the original buyer pulled out at the last minute hence becoming available to the next in line... that being Stagecoach.

There's always somebody out there looking for trouble. Chances are Stagecoach haven't done anything wrong, but OFT have to do this now because of the complaint. Hopefully it won't drag on any longer than necessary.
(11/01/2013 20:06)ace Wrote:  Hopefully it won't drag on any longer than necessary.

Hopefully not, but it is an unnecessary delay and a pain in the backside!

User(s) browsing this thread: 17 Guest(s)