Current time: 04/05/2024, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(10/01/2013 17:19)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 13:02)mbonwick Wrote:  Similarly, the OFT report into whether the takeover of Bluebird of Middleton can proceed should be released by 6th Feb.

Can't see this being a problem, considing how much competition there is in this area of Manchester.

Well it would probably have been rather less of a problem if this had happened before the takeover was completed. Retrospective investigations are never a good thing, though if it had already been approved, surely the time for complaints and objections has passed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
looking at the wigan sale no difference really as stagecoach only had 1 route into wigan before the buy and it was a small time hourly route

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(10/01/2013 20:09)ace Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 17:19)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 13:02)mbonwick Wrote:  Similarly, the OFT report into whether the takeover of Bluebird of Middleton can proceed should be released by 6th Feb.

Can't see this being a problem, considing how much competition there is in this area of Manchester.

Well it would probably have been rather less of a problem if this had happened before the takeover was completed. Retrospective investigations are never a good thing, though if it had already been approved, surely the time for complaints and objections has passed.

The Bluebird investigation is not retrospective - the deal is conditional on it gaining OFT approval.
(10/01/2013 19:39)Nicholas Wrote:  Although I've heard from a few sources that the OFT doesn't like Stagecoach! If that is the case, then the OFT is definitely going too far and needs reining in.

It's a possibility given the debacle a few years ago in Preston. I think the OFT and Competition Comission caused more problems for passengers than the original sale given the time it took for all the investigations.
(10/01/2013 20:26)mbonwick Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 20:09)ace Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 17:19)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  Can't see this being a problem, considing how much competition there is in this area of Manchester.

The Bluebird investigation is not retrospective - the deal is conditional on it gaining OFT approval.

Sorry, I think I replied to the wrong message. My comment was regarding the OFT investigation into Wigan. Yes I'm aware the Bluebird deal is awaiting OFT approval. Apologies for the confusion.
Im guessing thats why non have gone for repaint etc,just incase the oft decision goes against them.
I would of thought the deal was fair for both competition in the area and for passengers as the passengers seem to be a lot happier as they now have major investment in buses something first seemed reluctant to do with only bringing in cascades from other depots
AND lower fares!!

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(10/01/2013 20:53)St Helens Rider Wrote:  
(10/01/2013 19:39)Nicholas Wrote:  Although I've heard from a few sources that the OFT doesn't like Stagecoach! If that is the case, then the OFT is definitely going too far and needs reining in.

It's a possibility given the debacle a few years ago in Preston. I think the OFT and Competition Comission caused more problems for passengers than the original sale given the time it took for all the investigations.

It was a crazy cituation, but would you not say passengers got a good deal in the end given the investment Rotola have made in the Preston Fleet.
I reckon companies like SLT were getting a easy ride against First with lack of investment and hiked up fares. And now that a company has come in and is investing money in the fleet whilst slashing prices they are worried. But what can the OFT do? Insist First retake over the depot? Surely if it rejects Stagecoach another company would be sought or the town would have no bus service.
I personally think this is ridiculous, if there was no issue with first running these exact same routes, then what is the issue with stagecoach taking them? Most of the Stagecoach routes only compete on very few sections of other operators routes (Wigan - Newtown, Atherton/Lowton/Leigh - Manchester). All seems very strange to me. Particularly because they had little to no presence in this area of GM and the services they will be running into Manchester will give First some healthy competition on the Salford crescent corridor along with their service 50. Seems to me the OFT and competition commission have unnecessary beef with Stagecoach.

User(s) browsing this thread: 25 Guest(s)