Current time: 16/05/2024, 10:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(30/11/2012 00:41)ste Wrote:  On another note- it has been mentioned some buses have gone for repaints - are they getting reupholstered or are Stagecoach keeping the covers as they are for now?

This is the first I've heard of some being sent for repaints so soon, but good if they have. I'd imagine stagecoach would just want to get the livery sorted as quickly as possible and then look at the interiors a little further down the line.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(30/11/2012 00:01)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Yes your quite right First did make mistakes in Wigan, just how profitable SLT is I would not like to comment on, I thing the profits are possibly no greater than what Firsts Wigan depot records its just SLT don't require the big margins FirstGroup require.

Arriva have most trunks, some as a result of deals between MTL and GMN and others from the former North Western operations, wether Stagecoach pay any attention to these might remain to be seen.

I think some growth might come from potential new routes or by extending existing ones. There is one question that I thing would make me think the growth might not be that grand and that is what is future of Chorley depot with such a large under utilised depot being really in its back yard, despite it being with another Stagecoach subsiduary.

Although I understand no existing plan is there, but it might be fairly tempting to exploit that situation in the interests of money to a major company like Stagecoach, especially as the premises in Chorley are far from ideal and also the fact that some work, eg School Contracts operate in Wigan in anycase. Then if you extend the Chorley Coppulls and Blackrods to Wigan then you've really emptied Chorley by abouut half, then if you then intertworked the 540's with the 125's and 126's you've then removed its profitability (You then get deckers on the 540 hence) and I am sure then the rest could move to Preston depot.

I think really though in terms of First the main issue was that Firsts core model of regular core routes and l;ittle else couldn't really suit Wigan, as those core routes couldn't return the same profitability levels of services like the 36, 37 at Bolton and the 135 at Bury and the 100, 67 and 17 at Manchester and the 82, 83, 59 etc at Oldham all of which have the advantage of going through significant urban areas to reach Central Manchester. Also the Wigan depot was some 20 miles away and also 15 minute train services linking it to central Manchester at a cheaper fair than FirstGroup where charging eg £3.80 as apose to £4.50 and taking a fraction of the time as well.

Hopefully the Leigh guided busway may help to readdress that, but there is local anamosity towards it so how successful it might be remains to be seen.

I think as well the fact the HQ was at Oldham didn't help as it was easy for those management staff often exiles from First West Yorkshire to ignore the Western side of Greater Manchester and not explore much beyond central Manchester but yet expect the same profit from what was a much smaller network and then question why it wasn't returning the profitability of towns like OLdham which have large numbers of core routes into Central Manchester plus the 409 to Ashton and Rochdale in addition.

Maybe a mistake was made in 1998 when FirstGroup closed Atherton in that it allowed lots of Leigh based operators to appear or expand to fill gaps left by FirstGroup, maybe a better idae would have been to close Wigan and move exverything to Atherton and then the depot would have had at least one extra profit point in the 582 and its retention might have detered SLT from entering the Market Place locally. However tahts all under the bridge now.

The Other thing I wonder is if local branding was allowed and a new fleet of Minibuses was introduced onto town routes in Wigan wether that might have changed things????

I also wonder what might have been the case if the buyer now wasn't Stagecoach and it had of been someone else without any networks anywhere near, or a smaller company???

Would that either mean no growth or beter growth as presumably much of the management team would have been at Wigan and Wigan only rather than at Manchester if you know what I mean eg outside the front door to the depot office rather than 20-30 miles away from the offices.

Well the ball is literally now in Stagecoach's park and they can make a go of it if they put the correct effort in, after all Wigan was not and never has been a loss making depot even though the profits weren't multi-millions the opportunity to grow past the turnover and profit it's seen in the past years I think is there, it just needs the right minds with the right way of thinking to make it happen.
Only going off a post on here mate, not sure how confirmed it is but perfectly plausible to be getting done. I too would have thought the interiors would be done at a later time, as I think they did that with the GTL/CMT stock. Just wonder if it takes that long to re upholster and if it is a quick job would be done now to eradicate any trace of First.
Just wondering where you saw the post so I could go take a look too? Smile And yeah I think it all depends on the scale of things but from what I've heard the priority is getting Stagecoach's own buses in, sorting out the livery on the existing stock that will be retained and working the ticketing and pricing in with the rest of Stagecoach Manchester.
I can imagine interior wise they'd want full refurbs so orange stopping bars, a change to the floor and new standard seating too, literally erase all trace of first manchester.
All in good time no doubt. Rome wasn't built in a day Smile
(27/11/2012 06:49)Nicholas Wrote:  Martyn, I believe these are staying with the first already sent for repaint

It's on page 89 or 90 of this thread I think mate. From what I can gather he works at Stagecoach Manchester so not much if any reason to doubt. Like say we shall just have to see. After all if 30 "new" buses are arriving that is near enough a third of the fleet changed over straight away.
The situation has been a little fluid so things keep changing, such as the Scottish Darts no longer going to Wigan. I'm now not certain anything has gone for repaint, mainly because I think First don't want anything being done that would impact frontline operations before Sunday.

Hopefully things will start to become a little more definite from next week as things begin to settle into place.

And I do indeed work for Stagecoach Manchester Smile
33174 was on the 183 today. I think it might make more sense for Stagecoach to have a bus like a Dart on the route rather than the bigger MANs that have been used regularly on the route.
Found on Flickr, first (!!) one with Stagecoach names & numbers - 16195

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63797212@N0...otostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/
That looks so strange but I suppose it's something we'll probably get used to over the next few weeks both in Wigan and in the Wirral/Chester areas.

User(s) browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)