Current time: 05/05/2024, 04:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
It raises another issue.
I noticed today that the standard fare for passengers travelling without a valid pass or ticket has gone up to £50 (I'm sure it was £20 last time I read the poster on the buses) but if said driver told me to 'get one later' and an inspector boarded the bus and asked to check tickets (although this has never happened in the last 4 years I've used stagecoach buses) where would I stand. Surly the driver isn't going to drop him/her self in it by admitting there's 4 or 5 passengers travelling for free because I couldn't be bothered doing them mega riders.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(22/11/2012 21:37)Mayneway Wrote:  It raises another issue.
I noticed today that the standard fare for passengers travelling without a valid pass or ticket has gone up to £50 (I'm sure it was £20 last time I read the poster on the buses) but if said driver told me to 'get one later' and an inspector boarded the bus and asked to check tickets (although this has never happened in the last 4 years I've used stagecoach buses) where would I stand. Surly the driver isn't going to drop him/her self in it by admitting there's 4 or 5 passengers travelling for free because I couldn't be bothered doing them mega riders.

It was £20 from May 2010 and yep its £50 now

It had been a while since I'd seen an inspector board a bus to check tickets, but it actually happened on the 192 yesterday from Stockport to Piccadilly. On several occasions, and yes I have to say mainly on Ashton routes, I have attempted to buy a Mega Rider and been told to get one later, or get one on your next bus, etc. Fine, so I get a free ride, but if an inspector gets on would he believe me? Why should he? In which case Stagecoach would find themselves subject to legal action by myself, as this would be unacceptable. I would add, on each of these occasions I have had the correct money to hand, but the driver has been too lazy to be bothered, not even late on most occasions. I think there needs to be a review on drivers regarding such issues as this, before somebody does get into trouble for something which isn't their fault.
(21/11/2012 22:02)gilbert Wrote:  
(21/11/2012 21:11)GmBusesNorth Wrote:  Wigan will receive 30 buses over the weekend from stagecoach and the date for the takeover has been confirmed 2nd December!

Are these the buses that have arrived from elsewhere plus some of those in reserve or something else?

I count on my list 29 having been suplied from elsewhere in the group mostly from Scottish Subsiduaries plus some MAN's from Cambus so presumbly the odd vehicle to make 30 is either being sourced from Manchesters reserve fleet or has been sourced this week.

I would think this is likely to be whats needed to take out all the Optare Excels with immediate effect of take-over and also to establish a rapid repaint programme for all Volvo B9TL's and Volvo B7RLE's if anything else gets repainted it remains to be seen.
[/quote]

It had been a while since I'd seen an inspector board a bus to check tickets, but it actually happened on the 192 yesterday from Stockport to Piccadilly. On several occasions, and yes I have to say mainly on Ashton routes, I have attempted to buy a Mega Rider and been told to get one later, or get one on your next bus, etc. Fine, so I get a free ride, but if an inspector gets on would he believe me? Why should he? In which case Stagecoach would find themselves subject to legal action by myself, as this would be unacceptable. I would add, on each of these occasions I have had the correct money to hand, but the driver has been too lazy to be bothered, not even late on most occasions. I think there needs to be a review on drivers regarding such issues as this, before somebody does get into trouble for something which isn't their fault.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, although if a complaint was made before paying the standard fare of £50 then it would be easy to prove that the driver had let passengers on without paying as the buses are full of CCTV and voice recording around the cab.
But the embarrassment caused on a busy bus when you have to explain to an inspector why you don't have a ticket/pass.

I did bring up the issue on another forum some time ago and there and didn't get a deffinate answer then either.

Im the same as you though, I do always have the correct money on mega rider day, sometimes I'll go into a shop to buy something just to give me some change, then when the bus pulls up a good five mins early to be told to get one later or do I want a day rider instead is really annoying, and I will now be contacting Stagecoach the next time one of their drivers refuses to sell me one for an explanation.
(22/11/2012 23:22)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I count on my list 29 having been suplied from elsewhere in the group mostly from Scottish Subsiduaries plus some MAN's from Cambus so presumbly the odd vehicle to make 30 is either being sourced from Manchesters reserve fleet or has been sourced this week.

I would think this is likely to be whats needed to take out all the Optare Excels with immediate effect of take-over and also to establish a rapid repaint programme for all Volvo B9TL's and Volvo B7RLE's if anything else gets repainted it remains to be seen.

37 transferred in from other Stagecoach operations (20 MAN's and 17 Dart's, might only be 15 Dart's though making 35), plus however many brand new Enviro 200's they're getting over the next few weeks (initially ordered for Wales). None of Manchester's reserve vehicles are currently expected to go to Wigan. As far as I've heard all of the Excel's and B10BLE's will be off with "immediate" effect, replaced by the transferred Dart's and MAN's.
(22/11/2012 23:22)gilesbus1 Wrote:  
(21/11/2012 22:02)gilbert Wrote:  
(21/11/2012 21:11)GmBusesNorth Wrote:  Wigan will receive 30 buses over the weekend from stagecoach and the date for the takeover has been confirmed 2nd December!

Are these the buses that have arrived from elsewhere plus some of those in reserve or something else?

I count on my list 29 having been suplied from elsewhere in the group mostly from Scottish Subsiduaries plus some MAN's from Cambus so presumbly the odd vehicle to make 30 is either being sourced from Manchesters reserve fleet or has been sourced this week.

Do you have a list for public consumption of these buses? Ta.
I obviously can't count Blush

MAN's 22301-22305/8/51-55/7/8/400-407 TOTAL = 21
Dart SLF's 33074/5/7/772/5/9/80/4596-604 TOTAL = 16 = 37

I would expect that some of the MAN's may make inroads into the normal service diagrams of the Dennis Arrows thus reducing the Arrow fleet by 2-3 buses.

Someone is destined to get a nice collection of secondhand B10BLE's with all the ones Stagecoach have in store not just the ones here but also others, I seem to recall Tanat Valley wanting some.
(23/11/2012 00:27)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I obviously can't count Blush

MAN's 22301-22305/8/51-55/7/8/400-407 TOTAL = 21
Dart SLF's 33074/5/7/772/5/9/80/4596-604 TOTAL = 16 = 37

I would expect that some of the MAN's may make inroads into the normal service diagrams of the Dennis Arrows thus reducing the Arrow fleet by 2-3 buses.

Someone is destined to get a nice collection of secondhand B10BLE's with all the ones Stagecoach have in store not just the ones here but also others, I seem to recall Tanat Valley wanting some.
Thanks

If the driver says "get one later" and an inspector boards, he/she must mention that passengers have been asked to sit down, otherwise there could be severe consequences.

If you ever find yourself in this situation, tell the inspector exactly what the driver has said to you and if one is issued, take the Standard Fare ticket. Whatever you do, do not pay up "on the spot". Ring the office and we can follow it up - after all, all buses have CCTV fitted and the one above the cab has a microphone. The Standard Fare can always be cancelled later.

User(s) browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)