Current time: 28/03/2024, 20:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transport for Wales Rail
RE: Transport for Wales Rail
(10/11/2019 14:32)boby32 Wrote:  The class 153 will be running on Wrexham-Bidston route from December this year.

http://www.deeside.com/no-new-trains-on-...ith-scuds/

This must be a short-term phase prior to class 230s.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(16/11/2019 20:10)Metroline1511 Wrote:  This must be a short-term phase prior to class 230s.

Any use of 153's is going to be comical , i remember the last time they was used on the route and a single 153 failed to get up Hawarden bank and had to return to Shotton to await the following service which eventually managed to make it up the bank and when the service arrived at Wrexham General not Central the service was then suspended and a rail replacement bus service completed the service that night .

Even if you peer into the future , if this line was to be transferred to Merseyrail , i fear a hybrid battery vehicle may have issues there and i think discontinuous third rail may have to be an option.
The ORR will not permit any extension of third rail electrification.
(17/11/2019 00:08)wirralbus Wrote:  Any use of 153's is going to be comical , i remember the last time they was used on the route and a single 153 failed to get up Hawarden bank and had to return to Shotton to await the following service which eventually managed to make it up the bank and when the service arrived at Wrexham General not Central the service was then suspended and a rail replacement bus service completed the service that night .

Plan is to only use 153s paired up. Article mentions additional 153s being received from Porterbrook with accessible toilets - I wonder if this means a 153 with an accessible toilet being permanently attached to one without.

Network Rail refused ATW permission to use 158s on Wrexham-Bidston but don't seem to have any issues with 153s being used.
(17/11/2019 14:23)mikestone Wrote:  The ORR will not permit any extension of third rail electrification.

This is always going to make this line the ugly sister in the TfW network then , as it is so remote from the decision making , whereas Merseyrail / Merseytravel would make it one of its flagship routes because of its onwards connections at Wrexham and Shotton to other points in the national network.
(17/11/2019 00:08)wirralbus Wrote:  Even if you peer into the future , if this line was to be transferred to Merseyrail , i fear a hybrid battery vehicle may have issues there and i think discontinuous third rail may have to be an option.

That's why the new units are being built with the provision to convert to dual voltage in the future

SK15 GZG
2010 | 2345 | 2474 | 2590 | 3052 | 3059 | 3061 | 5314 | 6408 | 6606 | 7537
4164 | 4593 | 4664 | 4670 | 4672 | 4678 | 4836
I do wonder where on the Bidston - Wrexham line class 158's are actually probably classed as out of gauge , i do wonder whether its on the short section round from Wrexham central to wrexham General , is the platform long enough there for a 158 as well.
(17/11/2019 14:23)mikestone Wrote:  The ORR will not permit any extension of third rail electrification.

So what will the extension to Headbolt Lane and eventually Skem be? 3rd rail, overhead or battery?
Can't see anything other than third rail for the short journey from Kirkby to Headbolt Lane tbh
I know this should be under the Merseyrail thread but it's relevant here
Here's a picture of a fully accessible class 153.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/networ...-for-wales

And also, there will be changes in North Wales.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w...h-17262205
The Civity will be class 197.
The Stadler bi-mode, tri-mode and tram-trains will be class 231, class 756 and class 398 RESPECTIVELY.

https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/120...8822757376

User(s) browsing this thread: