Current time: 08/05/2024, 11:03 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(04/04/2019 00:00)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Could it not be that its gone to Wigan to be repaired, and then maybe used there as well as keeping older deckers at Wigan helps with emissions on Oxford Road which has been a proposal by the Mayor and various Manchester Councils, TfGM etc for some time. By keeping older deckers at Wigan means there is absolutely no way it will find its way onto Oxford Road, I also presume this is the reason why most older Enviro Enviro400's are based at Wigan in order to keep them out of Manchester City Centre as apart from Service 34 nothing else operated from Wigan penetrates Manchester or goes anywhere near.

Though given that, I aren't quite sure why the 56 reg Enviro Enviro400's have ended up at Sharston and that they penetrate into Manchester City Centre which makes no sense, and would have emissions too high for Oxford Road under current Mayoral policy. All I can assume is that they are a short term stop gap measure and will move on elsewhere afterwards, once newer vehicles are sourced.
The emissions policy on Wilmslow Road predates the intro of elected Mayor and only precluded Euro3 and older - hence why 19254 etc were specifically transferred into the Magic Bus fleet whilst the older ones concentrated at Wigan and Ashton remain on mainstream services

The policy itself is now irrelevant thanks to Client Earth etc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(01/04/2019 20:16)Brickmill Wrote:  . And *still* no-one has explained why hybrids are no better than pure diesels with identical Euro ratings?

What makes you think they are no better? The Euro standard is the same as it measures engine output. So a hybrid bus with a Euro 5 engine has the same target as a Euro 5 diesel bus - usually measured at g/kWh. As hybrids spend some time on electric power their engines use less energy per mile than a pure diesel so the absolute emissions per mile should be lower on a hybrid.

Paul
(04/04/2019 21:01)Paul_Turner Wrote:  What makes you think they are no better? The Euro standard is the same as it measures engine output. So a hybrid bus with a Euro 5 engine has the same target as a Euro 5 diesel bus - usually measured at g/kWh. As hybrids spend some time on electric power their engines use less energy per mile than a pure diesel so the absolute emissions per mile should be lower on a hybrid.

Paul

A subtlety lost on Client Earth etc as the ban is based on age, not actual emissions.
I though conversion to Euro 6 engine standards resolves the issue, as that is what the grant funding is for, surely. Obviously you cannot convert some ALX400 bodied Trident or Volvo B7TL as its not compatible with Euro 6. Most of the 58-12 reg vehicles should be compatible for Euro 6 conversion.

Effectively therefore most of FirstGroup and successors Volvo B9TL's all of their Enviro400's and Enviro300's, the B5LH's at Queens Road and the odd Volvo B7RLE (09 regs, 11 regs) there should be compatible with an upgrade.

At Stagecoach many of the Enviro400's should be compatible for upgrade including all the Hybrids.

The ban as I understand it is aged based in regards to engines below this age in original condition do not meet emission standards and is merely a guide.
(05/04/2019 11:35)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I though conversion to Euro 6 engine standards resolves the issue, as that is what the grant funding is for, surely.
Except that only £2.6 million funding has been confirmed so far out of an estimated £29 million needed. And I still think 12110-27 are just as "clean" as 12220-57. NB. I believe 12108/9 are version 1 - the version subject to spontaneous combustion - so probably aren't as good.
Notice 149 timetable on Stagecoach website and they are running the whole service.
Did they win the tender or are they taking it on commercially?
(07/04/2019 13:48)iMarkeh Wrote:  Did they win the tender or are they taking it on commercially?
Looking at TFGM minutes, probably a tender.
Likewise, the 415 will be a wholly Stagecoach service, with the Monday-Saturday daytime service reverting to original route rather than via Moston.
Just looking at the new 34 timetable and it would seem the buses are having upto 28 minutes off in Worsley on the short trips.
Also there are no extra Leigh trips so there will be a fair bit of dead millage on these. All of the shorts finish at Piccadilly. I can't work out where they start (It looks as though start in Worsley and 1 in Manchester (this is not including the existing Leigh workings at 07:00 from Manchester and the 07:0 and 07:32 from Worsley).

Can anyone confirm if Wigan are running these or they will be ran by Hyde Road given the amount of dead millage to/from Wigan each day. The extra shorts don't look like they interwork with the leigh trips.

User(s) browsing this thread: 46 Guest(s)