Current time: 19/04/2024, 09:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(21/03/2019 19:45)Brickmill Wrote:  True, although I think that would increase the VR to 5. Certainly, the shorts have something between 25 & 29 minutes stand time at Worsley. There won't be spares at WN so my guess is that 5 MMCs will transfer from HE and they will be replaced (directly or indirectly) by the 4 further Euro 3s expected from MSL. I assume by "extra journeys" you mean interworking with the 8 as it is now. Running extra unregistered comercial journeys is illegal.

Its not unheard of for none MMC's to work on 34's so Wigan may use some of these on it, and that other none MMC's could be brought into Wigan from other depots.

I would suggest that this has come about from staff at Wigan saying "well we used to work short workings on service 33 when we ran that to Worsley without difficulty" So then they've ended up registered.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(21/03/2019 20:32)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Its not unheard of for none MMC's to work on 34's so Wigan may use some of these on it, and that other none MMC's could be brought into Wigan from other depots.

I would suggest that this has come about from staff at Wigan saying "well we used to work short workings on service 33 when we ran that to Worsley without difficulty" So then they've ended up registered.

I didn't realise staff had so much influence at Stagecoach. They ruin FQ services in captive market areas to save one or two buses and then provide 4 or 5 buses to run near empty buses through the poshest parts of Salford. And you wonder why we need Franchising,
I'd rather the 34 short journeys were numbered 34a to differentiate journeys.

The RHS Garden Bridgewater is due to open early 2020. Perhaps looking into the future the 34 shorts may then be extended into the site just a few minutes from Worlsey terminus

In the planning process documents for the RHS development, talk was made of a bus service linking the site to the Metrolink stop in Eccles (for a slow crawl into the city centre...). I think the development may have been required to make a section106 contribution to Salford City Council which so far has been spent on an enhanced road junction with the A572 and NMU improvements at the roundabout alongside The John Gilbert pub in Worlsey. I'm unsure if any S106 money is available for public transport.

Perhaps remaining on the 34, using just one form of transport, would be more appealing and probably quicker over all for many.
(21/03/2019 20:45)Brickmill Wrote:  I didn't realise staff had so much influence at Stagecoach. They ruin FQ services in captive market areas to save one or two buses and then provide 4 or 5 buses to run near empty buses through the poshest parts of Salford. And you wonder why we need Franchising,

Guess your none too impressed with buses running at 15 minute frequencies through Worsley and Monton Green!. I did say that they are exploiting the loop hole left by First to try to drive them off service 33 which isn't going to be hard, would suggest if they are upping frequencies on this then the passenger figures and more in turn cash figures must be reasonable or why do it? Although Stagecoach do look like they are gradually trying to place themselves as the main service provider in the Salford MBC area. Presume the corridor between Salford Precinct and Manchester City Centre along the A6 is valuable because of Salford University hence why they are trying to flood it with there own vehicles, no matter were the service starts and finishes from, as the University is an opportunity like at Manchester University to sell Student passes and gain Student loyalty something which I've noted Stagecoach doing very well at, at FirstGroups expense who never bothered, hence why they are were they are now.

Obviously there are other benefits to Stagecoach in forming solid links over time between its rather independent Wigan operations and Manchester Operations, and no chance of buying Bolton or Manchester depots due to the monopoly they already have, and given that Julian Peddle in this Months Buses thinks First Manchester is only worth a single £1, but also wrongly thinks they have three outdated tram depots! Bolton! not even the last depot had been a tram depot let alone this one (lol).
(21/03/2019 22:08)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Guess your none too impressed with buses running at 15 minute frequencies through Worsley and Monton Green!. I did say that they are exploiting the loop hole left by First to try to drive them off service 33.

It simpler than that; in the "old" days (pre 2014), if Stagecoach M'cr wanted to compete or protect their market they would resource the increased VR through genuinely redundant buses displaced from loss making services locally or from elsewhere in Group. Now, they resource them from heavy loading services in. captive market areas.
(21/03/2019 19:45)Brickmill Wrote:  True, although I think that would increase the VR to 5. Certainly, the shorts have something between 25 & 29 minutes stand time at Worsley. There won't be spares at WN so my guess is that 5 MMCs will transfer from HE and they will be replaced (directly or indirectly) by the 4 further Euro 3s expected from MSL. I assume by "extra journeys" you mean interworking with the 8 as it is now. Running extra unregistered comercial journeys is illegal.
I mean extra journeys on the 34 to get the buses from Leigh to Worsley or extending the short trips to Leigh to get the buses back. Not all but some of the 34s then run back to the garage as a 34 following the 10 route which would be on the 34 registration so no changes are needed to the 8.

You can run extra unregistered commercial journeys however you have to prove there is demand and it can't be a regular thing.
A Middleton Enviro 400 MMC has (10845) has been on 330 today.
April changes on the Stagecoach website

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...april-2019
(25/03/2019 19:57)SF07 Wrote:  April changes on the Stagecoach website

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...april-2019
Interesting that the 149 is being introduced daily. Is this First withdrawing the service and Stagecoach taking it on or is this just the 49 evenings changing to the 149?

I am surprised Stagecoach aren't jumping on the 58 or 415 given First are withdrawing them services. Would be a good way to get into Oldham.

Good to see they are winning tenders as well for the evening work (unless they are taking it on commercially). It's weird seeing Stagecoach winning tenders in Manchester as the independents are normally cheaper.
(25/03/2019 20:42)iMarkeh Wrote:  Interesting that the 149 is being introduced daily. Is this First withdrawing the service and Stagecoach taking it on or is this just the 49 evenings changing to the 149?

I am surprised Stagecoach aren't jumping on the 58 or 415 given First are withdrawing them services. Would be a good way to get into Oldham.

Good to see they are winning tenders as well for the evening work (unless they are taking it on commercially). It's weird seeing Stagecoach winning tenders in Manchester as the independents are normally cheaper.

It will be the Evening as a replacement for 49 as it been cut as 41 is taking over.

I don`t think Stagecoach want Oldham as they could take it very easy as First would allow them in I feel but I feel it going to be MCT or even CT group going for Oldham as a new unit who will make the move. But I know they would go for Oldham road or 409 routes

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)