Current time: 16/04/2024, 19:04 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
2495 also here out on 410
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Are the're more hybrids than usual on rail replacements?
2604 was on 413/4 today,also 2501 on 409 and 3180 on 492/5.Are more hybrids on rail replacement as there seemed to be a lot of single deckers on cross river routes today?.4526 has got a new full length rear advert for Clatterbidge private clinic to replace british music experience.
(11/02/2019 16:40)bus401 Wrote:  Are the're more hybrids than usual on rail replacements?

Yes. Numerous photos on ANW FB fans group of saloons on 432/437/471 and various deckers sitting empty on stand by outside Sandhills etc. It’s a disgrace. LS is being run into the ground.
(16/02/2019 10:40)DVG526 Wrote:  Yes. Numerous photos on ANW FB fans group of saloons on 432/437/471 and various deckers sitting empty on stand by outside Sandhills etc. It’s a disgrace. LS is being run into the ground.

Having deckers on rails for a short period and having to substitute a single isn't a disgrace, the merseyrail contracts a worth mega money to Arriva and are well worth it.

Having a hand full of singles on a 10minute service isn't an inconvenience to anybody with a sensible mind, especially considering over the past few years a lot of areas have lost their bus completely and some are lucky to have one an hour.

Even in peak hour on the 437/432/3 not every single deck trip is full and standing, and even if it is near full its very very rare to have one have to drive past people due to max load, so I struggle to see the problem. Even if it does miss some stops, it's not exactly a long wait for the next one.

I know, let's put all the singles on rails instead and watch the chaos unfold as everybody turns to the car and other public bus routes.
(17/02/2019 10:59)L401CJF Wrote:  Having deckers on rails for a short period and having to substitute a single isn't a disgrace, the merseyrail contracts a worth mega money to Arriva and are well worth it.

Having a hand full of singles on a 10minute service isn't an inconvenience to anybody with a sensible mind, especially considering over the past few years a lot of areas have lost their bus completely and some are lucky to have one an hour.

Even in peak hour on the 437/432/3 not every single deck trip is full and standing, and even if it is near full its very very rare to have one have to drive past people due to max load, so I struggle to see the problem. Even if it does miss some stops, it's not exactly a long wait for the next one.

I know, let's put all the singles on rails instead and watch the chaos unfold as everybody turns to the car and other public bus routes.
I don't want to get into the details of these particular services, but these comments do give an interesting insight into attitudes that prevail. In a nutshell, what CJF seems to be saying is that potential inconvience of loyal service bus customers is acceptable because the company/depot/shareholders benefit. Unless of course the mega money goes back to the 437 etc one way or another?
I Beleive there trying to organise withdrawn buses from London to transfer up here to become a rail replacement/events fleet that will be used on rails and private events but this may or may not materialise.
The problem at the minute is all the veichles have to go through m.o.t preps and and then through there m.o.t's which takes a bit of time.
I think withdrawn London stock really has to be newer than those in previous times. They would no doubt also find their way on to normal service. So in this respect fully refurbed ones would surely be the way. But then I don't know what is used in London but guessing Enviro400s and Gemini 2's now.
(17/02/2019 11:20)Brickmill Wrote:  I don't want to get into the details of these particular services, but these comments do give an interesting insight into attitudes that prevail. In a nutshell, what CJF seems to be saying is that potential inconvience of loyal service bus customers is acceptable because the company/depot/shareholders benefit. Unless of course the mega money goes back to the 437 etc one way or another?

Not exactly, yes in economical terms the rail contract is a huge money maker for Arriva, and in theory yes some of the revenue from this would in the long run be reinvested into fleet. But the point I'm making is that for 95% of journeys on the crossriver routes throughout the day a single decker isnt an inconvenience as they handle the capacity fine. I understand the point about singles on crossrivers not being ideal and I agree, but they're not really a problem. It's only a handful of singles out the majority still deckers.

I'm told there's 6 hybrids on rails, plus the usual maintenance. The hybrids are proving quite unreliable as of late, most clocking up over 300,000miles so far and all due for overhaul mechanically. They're also having trouble with the heaters blowing cold on them so a cause for even more to be off the road as the unions won't let them out if cold. Usually 4211 and 4176 the backup buses would also be out, but they were both Mot last week. It was mentioned a while ago numerous B7TLs and DB250s were to be dug out of storage and allocated as designated rail buses across a few depots. 4211 was one of these however it just ended up on normal service. The rest never materialised, although they did start putting a couple back together, moved them around a bit (4203 was one) and then just left them again.

There's a few rumours about the hybrids going around the depot at the moment, but as nothing is confirmed it's pointless discussing it yet. I've also heard from a fitter 4204 has been marked as no parts to be removed as it could well be needed to cover, unfortunately!
(17/02/2019 12:29)MPTE1955 Wrote:  I think withdrawn London stock really has to be newer than those in previous times. They would no doubt also find their way on to normal service. So in this respect fully refurbed ones would surely be the way. But then I don't know what is used in London but guessing Enviro400s and Gemini 2's now.

According to form they wont be used in normal service as the centre doors will still be in use for rails and events.

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)