Current time: 19/04/2024, 09:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(12/01/2019 10:04)T42 PVM Wrote:  And the 415:

To operate the current route, vehicles of a non-standard size are required. First Manchester have advised that despite significant investment in the pool of vehicles which are used on the 415 (and the 353/4), they are at the end of their life and this is impacting reliability of the service. It is accepted that a small number of customers will lose their service however the cost of replacement cannot be justified for the requirement.

This ‘significant investement in the pool of vehicles’ is worth a laugh. The first replacements for the Crusader Darts were clapped out 12 year old Marshall Darts from London, their replacement were clapped out 11 year old Solos and old Pointer Darts from Cornwall.

I don’t think other people’s cast offs are ‘investment’. When First still had London divisions they were sending Enviro200’s to Ensign, they would have been perfect for the 415.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(12/01/2019 10:45)acocker96 Wrote:  This ‘significant investement in the pool of vehicles’ is worth a laugh. The first replacements for the Crusader Darts were clapped out 12 year old Marshall Darts from London, their replacement were clapped out 11 year old Solos and old Pointer Darts from Cornwall.

I don’t think other people’s cast offs are ‘investment’. When First still had London divisions they were sending Enviro200’s to Ensign, they would have been perfect for the 415.

I totally agree, I think this is just an excuse to re-route the service.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(12/01/2019 10:48)T42 PVM Wrote:  I totally agree, I think this is just an excuse to re-route the service.

I’m surprised it took them so long to be honest, I saw an Enviro400 on the 415 once in 2013 late on a Saturday night. I assume it went the new route. I heard ages ago that they tried to run a Citaro on the old route but got caught out by the bridge.

I assume the 415 will probably be B7RLE or Enviro300 now.
(12/01/2019 14:15)acocker96 Wrote:  I’m surprised it took them so long to be honest, I saw an Enviro400 on the 415 once in 2013 late on a Saturday night. I assume it went the new route. I heard ages ago that they tried to run a Citaro on the old route but got caught out by the bridge.

I assume the 415 will probably be B7RLE or Enviro300 now.

Noting that Stagecoach will probably have another 4, Enviro200s spare in a fortnight, I can't help thinking if this had happened pre 2014, they would simply have registered a 415 themselves.
(12/01/2019 10:45)acocker96 Wrote:  This ‘significant investement in the pool of vehicles’ is worth a laugh. The first replacements for the Crusader Darts were clapped out 12 year old Marshall Darts from London, their replacement were clapped out 11 year old Solos and old Pointer Darts from Cornwall.

I remember some 15 years ago brand new solos were launched on the 415 route and were always packed full. For some unknown reason a decision was made to take those off and replaced with end of life vehicles and as they obviously broke down regularly people stopped using the route. Why can I see the pattern and firstbus can't?

The current darts were transfered from Ashton, so hardly an investment in the route
If the 415 does not pick up many people now why not just bring in older Buses from elsewhere, like the Marshalls was

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
(12/01/2019 22:57)T42 PVM Wrote:  If the 415 does not pick up many people now why not just bring in older Buses from elsewhere, like the Marshalls was

The cost of refurbishment. Something which First Manchester hasn’t heard the meaning of.
(13/01/2019 10:45)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  The cost of refurbishment. Something which First Manchester hasn’t heard the meaning of.

The cost of a quick P&P (Assuming First are capable of that) must cost a lot less than getting a new Bus in, It would keep a Service going and that has to be a win

(12/01/2019 22:57)T42 PVM Wrote:  If the 415 does not pick up many people now why not just bring in older Buses from elsewhere, like the Marshalls was

In all honesty it will have nothing to do with the cost of using non standard buses. I don't know exactly how many services oldham operate these days but having 1 route out of dozens that requires a certain type of smaller vehicle must be a nightmare for routers/allocaters. Interworking must be a real headache too.

One thing I will say though and that's when the Darts came up from Cornwall they were actually in pretty good condition. The body's were straight and they were mechanically sound. Even at Dukinfield they were well looked after but as soon as they went to oldham they just got ran into the ground. Panels all bashed and scraped, thick black smoke pouring out of exhaust and extremely rough sounding engines.
(12/01/2019 15:39)Brickmill Wrote:  Noting that Stagecoach will probably have another 4, Enviro200s spare in a fortnight, I can't help thinking if this had happened pre 2014, they would simply have registered a 415 themselves.

I don't think Stagecoach will have anything spare given that Ashton are still borrowing buses daily from other depots.

User(s) browsing this thread: 24 Guest(s)