Current time: 02/05/2024, 10:03 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
Stagecoach website confirming the re-numbering of services 621, 625, 626, 628, 631 and 632 from the end of the month. Also confirms that other Wigan services will be re-numbered in January 2019 as follows:
  • 540 -> 7
  • 598 -> 8
  • 658 -> 9
  • 600/601 -> 10/10A

Prices will also change with single fares being priced at £1.50, £2, £2.50, £3 and £3.50

[Image: bus%20number.png?la=en]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(07/10/2018 10:09)SF07 Wrote:  Stagecoach website confirming the re-numbering of services 621, 625, 626, 628, 631 and 632 from the end of the month. Also confirms that other Wigan services will be re-numbered in January 2019 as follows:
  • 540 -> 7
  • 598 -> 8
  • 658 -> 9
  • 600/601 -> 10/10A

Prices will also change with single fares being priced at £1.50, £2, £2.50, £3 and £3.50

[Image: bus%20number.png?la=en]

Maybe they think three digit route numbers are too difficult to remember. One of the most pointless exercises I've seen in quite some time.
It does seem rediculous that routes that have had these (or similar) numbers for years have to change now. Reminds me of Arriva's changes in St Helens back in 2006 when most routes were renumbered into the 30s (although there was some major re-routings here unlike the Stagecoach changed).
(06/10/2018 20:15)Mayneway Wrote:  The 76 will probably see the same Enviro400's but just de-branded. They seem to be the most pointlessly branded buses going seeing as they seem to get allocated to everything but the 76.

10051[unbranded] is on the 42B today and 10043[also unbranded] was on the same route testerday
(07/10/2018 21:31)EDB325 Wrote:  Maybe they think three digit route numbers are too difficult to remember. One of the most pointless exercises I've seen in quite some time.

I don`t know most smaller towns have local town buses and they have simple numbers 6xx is not as easy as the number 1 or like some areas the routes are a letter
It is when they've been around for years though.
(09/10/2018 17:53)Mrboo Wrote:  I don`t know most smaller towns have local town buses and they have simple numbers 6xx is not as easy as the number 1 or like some areas the routes are a letter

I agree - it looks like a much simpler setup to me.
When this happens, I might go and try to tick off the 1 to 10 (as well as 10A).
(09/10/2018 18:25)jcksmnr Wrote:  It is when they've been around for years though.

Precisely, the 6xx series have been recognised in and around Wigan for nearly half a century. The only thing I can think of is it is "political" because it suggests more local control and a break from Gtr. Manchester
(09/10/2018 20:19)Brickmill Wrote:  Precisely, the 6xx series have been recognised in and around Wigan for nearly half a century. The only thing I can think of is it is "political" because it suggests more local control and a break from Gtr. Manchester

That is a thought. Wonder if Wigan will eventually become part of Merseyside & South Lancashire. Wigan always felt like an oddball for the Manchester division.
(09/10/2018 21:16)St Helens Rider Wrote:  That is a thought. Wonder if Wigan will eventually become part of Merseyside & South Lancashire. Wigan always felt like an oddball for the Manchester division.
An interesting thought.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles

User(s) browsing this thread: 44 Guest(s)