Current time: 19/05/2024, 12:04 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northern (Arriva Rail North)
RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North)
(03/04/2018 21:48)Y474 KNF Wrote:  There's still two more 150s to come from GWR in the future

It's unclear how many 150s will actually arrive from GWR at the moment. The Northern franchise agreement indicates a further 2 x 3 car 150s and 3 x 2 car 150s arriving transferring on 1st April next year (with the GWR lease ending on 31st March) but there's been some debate as to whether that will actually happen as GWR may be left short.

Unrelated to 150 cascades the new May 2018 timetable has been uploaded so can be found on journey planning sites and open access sites like Real Time Trains.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I've lost track of the LM 150's future - I thought they were supposed to have been replaced by GWR 153s at the franchise change but that didn't happen.
I'm guessing they will come to Northern when the Overground 172s arrive?
(04/04/2018 11:26)mikestone Wrote:  I've lost track of the LM 150's future - I thought they were supposed to have been replaced by GWR 153s at the franchise change but that didn't happen.
I'm guessing they will come to Northern when the Overground 172s arrive?

WMT have agreed to take on 3 x D-Trains from VivaRail (old London Underground D78s with a new diesel engine) by December to replace the 150s.

The original plan was the old LM franchise would get 6 x 153s and send their 150s to Northern. However, that has complications as platforms on the Marston Vale line can't take trains longer than 40m in length. A more frequent service using single 153s was looked at but it was decided with the infrastructure available the best would be a train every 45 minutes, which was considered not to be a good option. 172s also can't be used on Marston Vale for the same reason, why is why LM kept a small number of 150s in the first place.
I recall that but would have thought 172s might be acceptable as the passenger doors aren't at the ends. However driver training for six months wouldn't make much sense.
;
Looks as though Cumbrian loco hauled will be
06.16 Carlisle-Barrow
09.18 Barrow-Carlisle
12.08 Carlisle-Barrow
14.52 Barrow-Carlisle
17.45 Carlisle-Barrow
and
05.50 Barrow-Carlisle
09.03 Carlisle-Barrow
shunt to CS
15.31 Barrow-Carlisle.
(04/04/2018 12:47)mikestone Wrote:  I recall that but would have thought 172s might be acceptable as the passenger doors aren't at the ends.

The problem relates to the position of the signals and level crossings in relation to the platforms.
The Helsby-Ellesmere Port services seem to be a weird mix of the current times and the planned times: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/a...wtt&toc=NT I notice the unit off the 06:53 Ellesmere Port to Warrington, runs ECS to Wigan, then runs to Leeds!
Some general improvements through St Helens Central, the Blackpool service now runs through all day (in previous years it was truncated at Preston early morning and from mid evening) and the 2 trains per hour now run all on a Sunday (this drops down to 1 after 2000 presently). Obviously better connectivity on Chat Moss with TPE now stopping along the route although there are some peak Northern Liverpool - Manchester Victoria journeys. One strange move is that the Sunday Liverpool - Wilmslow service drops back an hour every hour at Lime Street whereas other routes appear to be self contained.
(05/04/2018 08:54)knutstransport Wrote:  The Helsby-Ellesmere Port services seem to be a weird mix of the current times and the planned times: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/a...wtt&toc=NT I notice the unit off the 06:53 Ellesmere Port to Warrington, runs ECS to Wigan, then runs to Leeds!

It provides connections, albeit not wonderful ones, for commuters to Manchester to sort of meet the franchise requirement. The morning one maintains the service between Liverpool and Bank Quay, as it loses one electric.
;
The Chat Moss line appears to lose two evening peak services out of Liverpool to accommodate the Scarborough train.
;
It would appear from lack of ECS workings there is no Cumbrian loco hauling on Saturdays, unless the set that finishes at Barrow goes out and back.
Train leaving Blackpool North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heruJL4SB14
(14/04/2018 09:07)boby32 Wrote:  Train leaving Blackpool North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heruJL4SB14

Notice quality rolling stock used lol. Actually better it being used as test train rather than letting ordinary passengers having to suffer it.

User(s) browsing this thread: