Current time: 24/04/2024, 14:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Arriva North West - Speke Depot (Old Closed Thread)
RE: Arriva North West - Speke Depot
(12/01/2018 12:47)Barney Wrote:  I really do think that bus wars are a thing of the past. Although Steve Rotherham has refused to make any pronouncement on the possibility of bus franchising it does look that Andy Burnham in Manchester is pushing ahead with it. I suspect that Merseyside won't be far behind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-man...r-42224820

Andy Burnham is pushing ahead with Bus Reform, not necessarily Franchising. One (of many) argument in favour of Franchising is that bus wars aren't quite a thing of the past, as First & Stagecoach are fighting it out on both Rochdale Road and the Walkden-Swinton-Manchester corridors.
Find all posts by this user
Any reform of the bus system will be fraught with danger , which ever way you go , after deregulation in October 1986 you couldnt say the services settled down for a good year afterwards.

If the changes dont have the desired effect its the local metro mayors that will have the egg on there face not the DfT as they divested that away.
[quote='wirralbus' pid='114908' dateline='1515833537']
, after deregulation in October 1986 you couldnt say the services settled down for a good year afterwards.

From memory, it was at least a decade before there was stability in bus services as Arriva itself wasn't in existence until 1997 and if franchising is ever introduced in the LCR, I don't think Arriva will retain the virtual monopoly in Speke it has at the moment.
(13/01/2018 10:35)Barney Wrote:  [quote='wirralbus' pid='114908' dateline='1515833537']
, after deregulation in October 1986 you couldnt say the services settled down for a good year afterwards.

From memory, it was at least a decade before there was stability in bus services as Arriva itself wasn't in existence until 1997 and if franchising is ever introduced in the LCR, I don't think Arriva will retain the virtual monopoly in Speke it has at the moment.

Just the same as stagecoach wont have the monopoly in kirkby.
But equally the monopoly wouldn't matter quite in the same way because everything would be franchised so not 'for profit' quite as it is today

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
(13/01/2018 08:52)wirralbus Wrote:  Any reform of the bus system will be fraught with danger , which ever way you go , after deregulation in October 1986 you couldnt say the services settled down for a good year afterwards.

If the changes dont have the desired effect its the local metro mayors that will have the egg on there face not the DfT as they divested that away.

The current system is also fraught with danger! In saying that, current circumstances are probably somewhat different (less critical) on Merseyside compared to GM. The basic economic geography is different for a start, with Liverpool being a bit more dominant than Manchester is over here. For instance, there is no physical way of getting from the Wirral to Southport by land, without going through at least the northern outskirts of Liverpool, and I'm guessing there is no great demographic link between St Helens/Knowsley and Southport. GM is more complex, with virtually every "satellite" town having close family and employment links with at least their next neighbour as well as with the Regional Centre.
Similarly, with the bus industry; Merseyside has two predominant commercial Operators, both investing heavily in new, environmentally friendlier buses and QPs already exist on some trunk routes. I'm guessing Bus only fares are less complex and vary less for a given journey length than in GM, as well as being a little cheaper over all.
Stability was also mentioned; GM has never really been stable since De-reg, albeit a lot of areas had relative stability during the "noughties". But now timetables are being changed with great regularity. Again, I can't speak for Merseyside, but the proof of the pudding is in ridership, with GM's now nosediving again, with 2017/8 expected to be below 200 million for the first time. It was 346 million at De-reg.
4846 BT66MVA is on the 79D today. Noted heading in to Liverpool at 1150.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
A 249? Cadet is at Speke, Looks like its entering service as had 76 City Centre on the destination in the yard.

Think it was 2493
(31/01/2018 15:26)danfitz123 Wrote:  A 249? Cadet is at Speke, Looks like its entering service as had 76 City Centre on the destination in the yard.

Think it was 2493

If it was 2493 that means it's left St Helens dosent it as I think it was in our pool fleet
(31/01/2018 15:54)darylyates17 Wrote:  If it was 2493 that means it's left St Helens dosent it as I think it was in our pool fleet

Looks like that's the case. Speke have been struggling for buses in the daytime however so makes sense.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)