Current time: 19/04/2024, 20:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northern (Arriva Rail North)
RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North)
(22/05/2017 15:12)Dentonian Wrote:  What about the towns that have no Station?

Most towns do have stations. (GM an exception as a number of stations have been converted to tram stops.) Yes I accept towns like Middlewich don't have a station but the towns without stations are generally small market towns, not heavily populated towns.

You previously said

Quote:evidenced by the need to own private transport to access rail in most cases.

That implied you thought at least 50% of the population can't get to a railway station except by using their own car. Walking, cycling, using other public transport (like a bus or tram), getting a lift or using a taxi are alll ways of getting to a station if you don't have a car so it seemed suprising that you thought in at least 50% of cases people can't get to a station using one of those methods.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(22/05/2017 19:53)Dentonian Wrote:  > Walking: You have to be both very fit physically and have a lot of time on your hands to walk up to 5 kilometres a day to/from a Rail Station. There are other disadvantages: Rain and of course, confrontation with the next option:
Cycling: Again, a certain level of physical fitness is required and I haven't the foggiest how much a bike costs. Certainly, I don't understand why so many cyclists need helmets, bodycams and hi-viz gear when the never leave the pavement!
Getting a lift: Still requires another member of the household or a close friend to both have a car and be in a position to give lifts regularly with no/minimal inconvenience to themselves. TBH, they were in my original equation as they too contribute to pollution/congestion.
Taxi: As above + cost. Last time I used a taxi (about 18 months ago), the clock started at £2.40, so you are talking at least a fiver even if the Station is only a kilometer away. 2.7km must be £10+ return.
Other forms of public transport: As mentioned above Metrolink usually involves a long walk (unless in the city centre), and is very unreliable - as in regular total system shutdown. Buses are increasingly un punctual for various reasons (both in the Operators' control and not), and there is still a cost penalty.

Obviously it depends on your individual circumstances as to which is the best. For four people travelling together a taxi can be cheaper than a bus if it's booked in advance (phoning or walking in to a booking office and asking for a taxi ASAP counts as booking in advance), while in some cases one person in the household drives to work and drops off another person at a station/bus stop on their way.

For a 1km journey at peak times going by road usually isn't quicker than walking unless the walking route involves crossing a number of busy roads or you live in a very rural area.

Interesting you say only someone very fit can walk 5km a day, when local councils consider that to be an acceptable distance for high school pupils to walk to school. With regard to how long it takes to walk - surely if you lived 40 minutes walk from Stockport station and worked near Piccadilly station your commute would still be shorter than a commute to Manchester from Buxton/Northwich/Crewe etc., given how short the train journey is between Stockport and Manchester and how frequent it is.
2 Car 150 on the 15:06 Thatto Heath - Liverpool, lot of people left behind so guard was given a lot of mouth

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(28/05/2017 14:14)T42 PVM Wrote:  2 Car 150 on the 15:06 Thatto Heath - Liverpool, lot of people left behind so guard was given a lot of mouth

Same on the one 2 hours previous.All down to a 142 failing
I believe there are 4 DMU's stuck in Manchester Victoria following Monday's incident, so might explain why there's some short forming going on at present.
(28/05/2017 14:44)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I believe there are 4 DMU's stuck in Manchester Victoria following Monday's incident, so might explain why there's some short forming going on at present.

4 is about right nothing,there's definitely 3,2 of which where heading to Liverpool when the explosion happened
With today being Sunday there must be a number of Class 319s spare at Allerton

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(28/05/2017 15:11)T42 PVM Wrote:  With today being Sunday there must be a number of Class 319s spare at Allerton

Can't get them to Lime St,route blocked by engineering work
(28/05/2017 15:11)T42 PVM Wrote:  With today being Sunday there must be a number of Class 319s spare at Allerton

Only problem is that the service is running through to Blackpool North.
(28/05/2017 16:11)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Only problem is that the service is running through to Blackpool North.

Only from late afternoon,prior to that just as far as Wigan only so therefore the services on this line were formed of a 319 and a 150

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)