Current time: 03/05/2024, 22:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(20/03/2017 11:22)acocker96 Wrote:  I think the free 16-18 bus pass is a good idea but should only be given to those who are in education, training or working. Giving it to the unemployed 16-18 year kids is terrible because by law they should be in education or training. Giving it them will encourage layabout scroats.

How is a driver supposed to check the credentials of every passenger? BTW, the free bus pass for 15 and under has been in existence in London for years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/03/2017 11:22)acocker96 Wrote:  I think the free 16-18 bus pass is a good idea but should only be given to those who are in education, training or working. Giving it to the unemployed 16-18 year kids is terrible because by law they should be in education or training. Giving it them will encourage layabout scroats.

I thought it was now compulsory to remain in education until 18 but post-GCSE pupils can do qualifications which require them to be in a college on some days and working on other days.
(20/03/2017 11:30)Barney Wrote:  How is a driver supposed to check the credentials of every passenger? BTW, the free bus pass for 15 and under has been in existence in London for years.
The driver doesn't need to give them a photo ID card. Once they turn 16 and no longer eligible for the Igo, trade it up for the 16-18 pass.

(20/03/2017 11:41)knutstransport Wrote:  I thought it was now compulsory to remain in education until 18 but post-GCSE pupils can do qualifications which require them to be in a college on some days and working on other days.
I don't think that they do much to enforce it, my year group was the first compulsory year 12 and many from my school became layabouts immediately once we left. While I'm in uni they are sat at home stroking a staff.
Quote:As powers to improve bus services become available, we will use them to
give all 16-18 year olds in Greater Manchester a free bus pass. As a first
step, we will introduce half-price travel for 16-18 year olds on public transport,
starting with buses and extending to Metrolink as soon as possible.

I wonder why don't they start with Metrolink, given that TfGM already controls the tram franchise.
(20/03/2017 12:01)JimmyMac Wrote:  I wonder why don't they start with Metrolink, given that TfGM already controls the tram franchise.

Probably easier to start straight away. Machines on buses are already capable of reducing the price of a ticket after a valid smartcard is put on to the reader, while on Metrolink the 'Get Me There' readers are separate to the TVMs.
(20/03/2017 11:54)acocker96 Wrote:  I don't think that they do much to enforce it, my year group was the first compulsory year 12 and many from my school became layabouts immediately once we left. While I'm in uni they are sat at home stroking a staff.

That's because careers guidence in schools has become non exsistant. When I started at secondary school there were two careers advisors based at the school who would regularly speak to year 10/11s about what they were doing upon leaving school. They would arrange day visits to local colleges, apprenteship or work placements with day release to college etc.
By the time I got to year 11 in 1999 the careers advisors had gone completly. We were given a couple of prospectuses for local colleagues and it was basically a 'arrange it yourself' hence why so many kids leave school and don't have a clue or idea where to turn next.
How do people find the Stagecoach App?

During the daytime it seems accurate. However at peak time, I'll often be waiting for 10 minuses and keep checking the app - the next bus is for example apparently 12 minutes away, and this slowly counts down to 6 or 5 minutes. Then, suddenly, a bus appears, which evidently cannot be the 'next bus' which is still showing on the app as several minutes away. Does the app not track all buses or is it just a case of it not being too accurate during the peaks?

Conversely, I've also had the app tell me a bus is 5 minutes, away, then 2, then 1 and then 'due...' only for no bus to show up and the app tell me then next bus is 17 minutes away!
There's a possibility of delays and diversions to some of Stagecoach services in/around Ashton Bus Station shortly, I was talking to a friend of mine who works in Ashton Bus Station last week and he told me that apparently work is due to start in within the next month or so on the new Tameside Interchange (Ashton Bus Station) with some services being moved to temporary stops near Ashton Baths while other services will apparently stay in Ashton Bus Station, work is due to take about a year or more to complete.
Not sure if been reported but the 112 is being chopped, new buses haven't been there 5 minutes and now the work load for them is reduced!

---
Thanks
Ant

Check out my YouTube Channel updated regularly at 18:00 Most Days;
https://www.youtube.com/c/apdmediatransp...nel/videos

Check out my content on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter/albums

Updated recently with a trip down to the South Coast in 2021 & Railway Pictures from 2017.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
If it is true Ant I cant say I'm surprised considering how frequent buses are down Moston Lane these days, sure you dont wait for long for a bus to show up and most go the same way into Manchester apart from 88.

User(s) browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)